Help Me Identify This Japanese-ish Weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    You can also re-temper it so that it sucks less. Otherwise, you're forming the point with the untempered core of the blank.
    But I have no problem if my brittle blade breaks up inside you.

Fragmentation dirk, baby. Sure, might be single use but I don't plan on doing much stabbing in my lifetime...once in defense would be enough.

Comment

Err.. if you're looking for a dagger of mass destruction, go nuts. Putting a better temper on it would make it easier to shape and maintain, but whatever floats your leporine boat.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
        You can also re-temper it so that it sucks less. Otherwise, you're forming the point with the untempered core of the blank.

I took it as meaning the tip is the original sword tip, the tang end is the broken end.

Comment

Ah. That would make more sense.

Comment

I now really want a functional european style sword for backyard bottle killing.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark View Post
              I now really want a functional european style sword for backyard bottle killing.
              Not European, but this is a good chopper for cheap:
              http://www.coldsteel.com/two-handed-katana-machete.html

Comment

Paul Chen also make functional western blades, including a Claymore.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark View Post
                  http://www.albion-swords.com/

Something like what they make, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                    So...many years ago, my younger brother wanted to be a ninja for Halloween. Like any kid growing up with a blooming ninja fetish, he needed the right weapon.

So, his mother did what any web-savvy person might have done around the turn of the millenium: she went to Ebay to find the right ninja weapon for her bloodthirsty adolescent.

What she found (for a measly $15) was this thing, which has made its way to me now that my brother is in college.

At first I gave it little thought...just another ninja-to wall hanger to throw in my basement.

But as I cleaned it up and took a look at it...this is no wall hanger. The blade appears to be a strong, sharpen-able steel alloy of some kind, the hilt is a single cut of wood, and the hardware is all what appears to be pure bronze. The blade's tang clearly goes straight through the hilt to the pommel, which is also bronze with a small loop at the end.

I'm not sure if this thing is some sort of antique, or just a well crafted copy, but overall this is a strong, sturdy sword. No glues, silly string, plastic....this thing is 100% wood, steel and bronze.

I almost want to take this to one of those Antique Road Shows just to see if someone can figure out when and where in the hell this thing was forged. I'm no sword expert but the craftmanship on this thing seems authentic as well as...old.

Is it possible this is some sort of antique 19th/20th century blade pawned on Ebay for $15 USD?

To me and just for the great grand Internets I have been collecting sword and nihonto in general for 11 years and I have had one of these before It looks like a rat-tail tang and I would put it in a closet and never even swing it at anything they will snap like crazy the wield just plan sucks. I realize my point has been made but it is a PSA check this out.
                    http://youtu.be/xGTQLB1VQrA
                    Last edited by Tameshiwhaty?; 6/09/2012 4:52am, .

Comment

NINJUTSU SCROLL OF THREAD NECROMANCY!

When I was moving recently, I came across the bolos I made out of old rat tail tang cheap swords, including the one mentioned in this thread. I removed the tang entirely then ground the first few inches of the blade into a new handle using a grinding wheel, then wrapped the handle and sharpened them up as much as I was able (crappy steel prevents too much). So, the swords are now full tang. Not good steel, not good geometry, but they're fine for chopping through vegetation. Sawed the sheaths a little shorter and rewrapped. The blades are now short enough that I'm not too worried about them breaking through vibration or impact.

The other one was from a yari, btw.

Its nice to have a sword or two that are cheap but sturdy, that you're not afraid to damage or abuse. Better than throwing them out, I'd say.
                      Last edited by Permalost; 5/10/2013 1:45am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                        NINJUTSU SCROLL OF THREAD NECROMANCY!

When I was moving recently, I came across the bolos I made out of old rat tail tang cheap swords, including the one mentioned in this thread. I removed the tang entirely then ground the first few inches of the blade into a new handle using a grinding wheel, then wrapped the handle and sharpened them up as much as I was able (crappy steel prevents too much). So, the swords are now full tang. Not good steel, not good geometry, but they're fine for chopping through vegetation. Sawed the sheaths a little shorter and rewrapped. The blades are now short enough that I'm not too worried about them breaking through vibration or impact.

The other one was from a yari, btw.

Its nice to have a sword or two that are cheap but sturdy, that you're not afraid to damage or abuse. Better than throwing them out, I'd say.
                        That's pretty much the spirit of the bolo anyway, as I understand it. My instructor has one that he got in the PI made from an old car door.

Comment

Going back to the ancient OP

http://www.globalnerdy.com/wordpress...ve-571x800.jpg

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X