Advice needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed please.

I was recently mugged and stabbed and because of that am looking to take up some sort of defence training and was wondering if krav maga and kali was a good combination? Or if anybody knows some good classes in glasgow that i could look in to. Thanks for any advice

Being assaulted can be very traumatic. I'm glad that you're still with us to post here.
    The best form of self defense is "don't be there." The next best is "nike-fu" / run away. Get in shape and joining a athletics club will help with this.
    Standing and fighting is way down the list of good options.
    Regarding krav and kali: there is a lot of variation in both of these styles, so it's hard to say if they are good for what you want. It's more to do with the individual and how you train than the style. There are not shortcut to competence, it takes hard work.
    Be well, stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Confused.Com View Post
      I was recently mugged and stabbed and because of that am looking to take up some sort of defence training and was wondering if krav maga and kali was a good combination? Or if anybody knows some good classes in glasgow that i could look in to. Thanks for any advice
      This looks like you are having a knee-jerk reaction to being in a bad situation. Learning a MA for self defense is only part of the solution, a small one at that. It will take some time and dedication to training to be proficient enough to deal with such a situation. Even when you invest the blood sweat and tears it doesn't make you stab proof. I had a very similar situation
      where I was mugged and stabbed. I had almost two decades worth of MA training. I managed to disarm and subdue my attackers but I still got stabbed in the process. So if anyone tells you that dealing with an knife wielding attacker will be easy, RUN! (And that includes Kali /FMA schools too)

Krav maga is hit or miss. It is the new BUZZ MA and truth be told most schools do not train anywhere near the way the IDF does which mad KM badass. The key thing to look for in a school is are you training in a fashion that mimics what you went through. Did you attacker do a single attack and wait for you to counter attack? No? Then training in the method would not be beneficial.

Another part of SD is situational awareness. It is better to spot potential trouble before it happens than reacting to it.
      ______
      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Thanks for the advice,
        I have no intention of going out to fight people i've always avoided fights and run if it was needed but recently realised that running isn't always possible (some situations your just trapped) a would like to learn self defence because i feel like a could learn something that might be able to help with some aspects of my life about feeling like a victim and being scared at the mere thought of a fight.

Comment

I understand that the need to do something is important after a confrontation like that and a good martial art will benifit you anyway. Just so you don't have it in your head to become Batman or something.

Do MMA with a focus on competing. It is a well thought out system that should (if you find the right school)l help you work though fear of contact while giving the standard benifits of a healthy exersize.

Just keep your fights in the ring.
          Last edited by gregaquaman; 9/16/2011 8:44am, .
          Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
          http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

With all the caveats above about learning to fight for self defence in mind, I'd recommend you give Rick Young (http://www.rick-young.co.uk/) a look. He has a good reputation and I've fought his students in BJJ competition, they're very good.

Comment

What Gezere said, plus I'll add this.

Yes, I think martial arts are a great way to learn to deal with your fear.

No, you don't want to take whatever art claims it will make you into a badass. Krav is known for claiming that, as are some other arts. MMA is guilty, TMAs are guilty...and then a big MMA guy gets stabbed to death and people realize hmm...maybe fighting is just one option out of many, like running away or not getting into the situation in the first place (again Gezere said it first).

Some of the MAs include meditative aspects to their training (even while being very physical) that is good for clearing your mind, learning to handle pain, and becoming more aware of your environment...training leads to better decision making.

I took up Shotokan Karate at around age 10 to deal with bullies in the neighborhood, and the irony was it was how I carried myself afterwards (a little stronger, faster, more alert, less intimidated) that kept the bullies from messing with me...I never had to use my karate to fight because it was the mental training was what I really needed back then. I was afraid and certain people feed off that.

It's important not to make yourself a target, and sadly too many people nowadays have their heads in the cloud or on some other thing...never in the moment where you need it, and there are predators out there just waiting for people like that to walk by.
              Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/16/2011 8:53am, .
              '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Originally posted by Confused.Com View Post
                We had a guy come to our school recently who was in a situation much the same as yours (our school is a KM school with a Filipino Martial Arts program). As he was signing up, he mentioned that he was mugged twice and that he wanted to learn something to protect himself and fight off muggers.

The instructor handling the introduction told him point blank that muggings and other crimes were an intensely difficult situation to handle and that learning martial arts wasn't not a quick fix, that carrying a weapon was not a quick fix and that even years of dedicated training would not make him "hard" or "badass".

I saw that guy get up and leave. It was probably not what he was expecting to hear. I'm thirding what W. Rabbit and Gezere are saying; if anyone tells you anything else, then it's not a good school.

Comment

Originally posted by yli View Post
                  I'm fourthing what Realjanuary, W. Rabbit and Gezere are saying; if anyone tells you anything else, then it's not a good school.
                  fixed that for you

Originally posted by realjanuary View Post
                  The best form of self defense is "don't be there." The next best is "nike-fu" / run away. Get in shape and joining a athletics club will help with this.
                  Standing and fighting is way down the list of good options.

Comment

Agreed.

I was almost mugged 10 years ago, running away to the local pub and getting asking a security guard for help was what i did. It was effective.

Martial arts are great confidence builders, and confidence and situational awareness will go a long way in a lot of situations.

If you find a love for MA's out of this then i think that's fantastic, but as others have already said, don't do it for a misguided reason even if now it seems like the best decision.

Glad you were able to walk away, i hope i never get a weapon pulled me.

Comment

there is a KM class at the Battlefield Gym, Broomielaw on wednesday nights (7.30 - 9.30).
                      ive heard they are quite good, but i wouldnt know personally.
                      your best defense against the knife is to not be there. thats difficult in glasgow, i know, where every wee fucking ned is carrying and eager to make a name with his mates. running is your best option, but learning kali wouldnt do any harm. kali wont make you chib-proof though

Comment

If you do take up Krav ask the instructor how long he has been with the art and how long he has been teaching it. It seems like many schools add Krav as a supplementary class now days to bring in more students. Example, I noticed the HKD Mcdojo I trained at years ago now offers Krav. From what I understand it is possible to be able teach Krav from attending a few short weekend seminars. I would not want an instructor to teach me an art he only trained a few times before teaching me.

With Kali you have a wide range of focuses differing from school to school; single stick, two sticks, knife, empty hand, and Dumong (wrestling) if you're lucky. You have to consider the individual club you're thinking about attending and even then it can be tricky. For example, my old FMA instructor might tell a potential student that we trained all of the areas I first mentioned, but the art we trained only really covered single stick in the curriculum. As a result, most time was spent learning single stick techniques and sometimes we'd do some random knife stuff or two stick drills we did work empty hand every class though.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeedy View Post
                          If you do take up Krav ask the instructor how long he has been with the art and how long he has been teaching it. It seems like many schools add Krav as a supplementary class now days to bring in more students. Example, I noticed the HKD Mcdojo I trained at years ago now offers Krav. From what I understand it is possible to be able teach Krav from attending a few short weekend seminars. I would not want an instructor to teach me an art he only trained a few times before teaching me.
                          I'm going to go further and state that the main focus (or at least 40% of the school's focus) of the school should be Krav Maga and that the person generally in charge of managing the school's curriculum is a high-ranking practitioner of Krav Maga who is at the very least a full instructor in the art. The vast, vast majority of the time, the people who teach the supplementary programs usually don't take the full sequence of courses that allows one to become a full KM instructor, nor do they have the practical teaching experience that allows them to become a good instructor. Generally speaking, most KM federations offer a 3-part apprenticeship program before letting the practitioner become a full (low level) instructor, and a multi-part program for full instructors that allows them to teach the advanced material like weapons. Between each 7-14 day instructor's course that they attend, each instructor generally should do 6-12 months of practical teaching under the eye of a more senior instructor (at least that's how my school does it).

In many supplementary programs, the instructor takes the first phase of the training, then does whatever the fuck he/she wants.

Comment

Great advice. Also, go talk to someone about your new fear as it can consume you. You might want to look into some situational awareness classes before taking up a Martial Art. Knowing when and where to go plus avoiding certain situations will help restore your confidence. Then see if Martial Arts is still something you want to do. Knee jerk reactions can sometimes end badly.

Comment

Thank you's very much for the advice.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X