Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bujinkan rehabilitation

I'm a ninjer, come kill me ;)

No seriously, I've been training in Bujinkan for 3+ years now and the amount of hate here is quite staggering. It's beating a dead horse, but I though I'd get this out of the way before participating in this forum.
    I think I get why, the booj seems to have got quite a hit in reputation because of a number of reasons:
    - someone told people in the 90's that learning booj would make you a deadly ninja
    - the historical claims of the bujinkan are often questionable
    - confusion about grading
    - the general training methods are incomplete for combat / fighting
    - fantasy ninja's
    - those damn video's on youtube

Now I get this, but it's just a bit much. There are plenty of other arts that have these problems, but only the booj get hit on so badly.
    I'm under the impression that many people just had their childhood ninja fantasy squashed and can't hande it ; ) - a bit like the bruce lee hate around here sometimes. A lot of axes to grind.

So some perspective about how the booj is here, whatever you think about it.

I'm a shodan, takes +- 3 years here, godan is at least 5 more. Shodan is supposed to be that you're not a total noob anymore but know the basic techniques at a reasonable level.

My sensei told us from the beginning: you sanshin in the street, you're dead.

Aside from shodan and godan, numbers don't mean much.

we do "alive" exercises and sometimes sparring. we suck and we know it :)

take the ninja bit with a bit of salt. most techniques are gyokko ryu and kukishin, which are armoured. this explains a lot of the problems in the application!

that's it for now or this post will be huge ;)

There are plenty of martial arts which are terrible, it's true. Wing Chun thinks it can tack on random physics terms to its pigeon toed, i'm-Marilyn-Manson-in-1996 stance. Aikido colonized our mental landscape and made us think that martial arts was all about being a passive aggressive hippie.

But you're not just terrible at fighting. You're ninjas. You're a 1999 internet meme that won't die. You're something someone's Gary Stu fanfic character would do. You're a cosplay that turned into some kind of malignant tumor. Also there's this:

I'm a shodan, takes +- 3 years here, godan is at least 5 more.
    we suck and we know it :)

Comment

But you're not just terrible at fighting. You're ninjas. You're a 1999 internet meme that won't die.
      sig-ilicious

Comment

Originally posted by Hedgehogey View Post
        There are plenty of martial arts which are terrible, it's true.
        But you're not just terrible at fighting. You're ninjas. You're a 1999 internet meme that won't die. You're something someone's Gary Stu fanfic character would do. You're a cosplay that turned into some kind of malignant tumor.
        hmmm no, I'm not a ninja. The ninjaness and the curriculum are not one and the same. You've watched too many bad movies and idiot fantasy types on the net. This view of bujinkan, I consider most of it a marketing ploy.
        It's the same as saying "you're a boxer, an ex-con who rapes and as a job hits people up and gets punched in the face till no brain cells are left"

Comment

Originally posted by ashkelon View Post
          "you're a boxer, an ex-con who rapes and as a job hits people up and gets punched in the face till no brain cells are left"
          WTF are you talking about? Just go back to playing ninjas and stop looking for our approval. You admit you suck? We already assumed that no need to state the obvious. Now go, refrain from posting until you've learned more. Develop your knowledge and understanding of martial arts. Don't try to change how everyone else thinks, change how you think.

Comment

Originally posted by jspeedy View Post
            WTF are you talking about? Just go back to playing ninjas and stop looking for our approval. You admit you suck? We already assumed that no need to state the obvious. Now go, refrain from posting until you've learned more. Develop your knowledge and understanding of martial arts. Don't try to change how everyone else thinks, change how you think.
            oh ffs, read the post. I said it's a stereo type people have about boxers, this side of the pond anyway. I train in boxing btw, only beginner, but I like it a lot. I'm not looking for your approval. Saying I suck seems appropriate on a board where many seem to be experienced fighters. btw bullying newbies is pathetic, I just wanted to get the booj thing out of the way before discussing other things which might be related and knowledgable forumers may want to give their opinion.

Comment

also wanted to post this in the noob section, so ok you can abuse me a bit...

Comment

Nobody cares. Really.

You add nothing and your self deprecation is nothing new. We all know that your shitty striking and godawful throws are a waste of time.

Why are you here? If you say 'to learn', then you are yet to empty your cup there wee grasshopper. Why not ask some of the former buj fellows here why they left? or maybe some of the few less retarded ones about why they stayed?

Sounds like you just want attention...

Comment

if you don't care, don't post. so tell me, is this board for all ma's except bujinkan? that's bs.
                  also tell me then how I'm able to participate if one of the arts I train in is bujinkan.

Comment

also tell me then how I'm able to participate if one of the arts I train in is bujinkan.
                    You type stuff in the box and click the 'post' button, you seem to have already worked it out.

Comment

if you don't care, don't post. so tell me, is this board for all ma's except bujinkan? that's bs.
                      Life is unfair. I often find that doing a rage quit is beneficial. Please follow the general pattern.

1) ask for moderators to delete thread
                      2) tell moderators mean posters make you mad
                      3) tell moderators you will never post again
                      4) post again

Comment

WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Now that you've walked the path of fire, and have been kicked in the balls for daring to speak you may now become part of the borg that is Bullshido. A writhing ball of bitterness, sarcasm, elitism, and pent up sexual frustration.

My first recommendation to fitting in, is to NOT start training in anything else. Just do like most others here and get terribly out of shape, then claim that you're too busy (dicking off on Bullshido while at work, duh) to train, or that you hurt your back when you were "younger" even though you're only in your early 30's.

The next step is to then find someone who has a "noob" sticker over their posts implying they are a new member. Now this next part is crucial... Make their day a living hell, ripping on them on as personal level as possible given the information they offer up about themselves. Remember the same thing happened to you, it happened to all of us. So now you must pay this pathetic internet forum hazing forward in order to gain approval from the pack. Otherwise we will not respect you and leave you out in the cold to die or be eaten by coyotes.

Also the Bujinkan sucks, and I fully understand why your instructor and classmates would not mind "sucking at sparring" because of course they likely told themselves that they don't train to spar they train to fight/kill/DEVASTATE.

Comment

Now I get this, but it's just a bit much. There are plenty of other arts that have these problems, but only the booj get hit on so badly.
                          You seem like a reasonable fellow, so I'll respond in a reasonable fashion ... not that your ninjer ilk deserves such treatment. ;-)

Yes, Bujinkan gets hit very hard here, but there's good reason for that - it embodies a huge reservoir of bullshido. I remember the big ninja craze in the 80's, and likewise, so does the BJK. They've never forgotten their heyday, when every MA magazine had a ninja article in it, and there was more than one magazine devoted entirely to ninjerism.

Much like a former high school football star, now turned paunchy and middle-aged, the BJK just can't seem to let go of its glory days. The practitioners love to wear their bunraku gi, and puff out their chests about the deadly efficiency of their martial art. No, they're not alone - the chunners, aikidoka, RBSD'ers, etc. also catch their share of our ire, and for much the same reasons: overly compliant drills, highly overestimated effectiveness, and a devotion to their costumery and props.

we do "alive" exercises and sometimes sparring. we suck and we know it :)
                          See, I have a problem with these two statements. First, there's very little evidence that anyone in the BJK does any exercises with sufficient aliveness. Second, sparring encompasses a vast range of definitions, and if you're only doing it "sometimes" it is extremely likely that the sparring is at the very low end of the spectrum. And third, if you truly do "suck, and we know it" then you're ignoring the incentive to improve, by needlessly and dogmatically continuing to eat at the trough of that 1980's ninja craze.

The solution is easy enough - put on some kendo headgear, grab a couple shinai, and beat hell out of your training partner. THEN (mandatory step) take a hard look at what techniques came out under pressure, and more importantly what didn't occur. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Comment

Oh look, there's a ninja apologist on today's menu.

There are plenty of other arts that have these problems, but only the booj get hit on so badly.
                            You're mistaken. We hate all those other arts just as much.

We are equal opportunity assholes. We hate you all equally.
                            Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
                              You type stuff in the box and click the 'post' button, you seem to have already worked it out.

yes well that was a reply to 100xobm's post before he edited it, telling me to fuck off.
                              but anyway, no I'm not looking for attention, I'm looking to see if I can adapt my booj training or some of it to complement my other arts or whether it will just get in the way.
                              and if they're others here, then I'd be very interested in their opinion. just saying "fuck off ninjer" is lame.
                              Last edited by ashkelon; 9/09/2011 7:32am, . Reason: edited to add quote

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X