Striking art to complement Aikido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striking art to complement Aikido

Yes. Much to your probable discontent, you read that right.

So basically I'm looking for a (mostly) striking art i could train in to complement my aikido. What i'm mainly looking for is nothing that contradicts aiki principles such as hard blocks (Karate for arm blocks, Muay thai leg blocks, ect.) or ideas of using force against force.

So immediately a few arts come to mind:

Wing chun
    Baguazhang
    Boxing

Why:
    Wing chun:
    The large numbers of parries, the emphasis on not trying to overcome your opponent with strength, and the number of techniques I've seen that could set up into aikido moves.

Baguazhang:
    Pretty self explanatory. It's an internal art, it has throws similar to aikido, and flowing strikes that could easily be combo-ed into aikido moves or used as atemi.

Boxing:
    You probably looked at this one and though, "What?" well, I have reasons.
    The concepts of slips would be very useful for avoiding strikes which is although very important in aikido, not trained a lot. plus, just understanding how to minimize damage from punching would be useful in general.

Any other suggestions and or endorsements?

Disclaimer: I'm not interested in learning how to fight well, just in learning martial techniques and concepts. I man if i was, would I be taking aikido of all things? No I wouldn't. So please don't immediately jump on boxing because they pretty consistently have sparring (With the exception of white collar boxing). Besides, if i was ever attacked, i believe i could use what i know to defend myself (even if most of that wasn't aikido)

How much aikido have you done? Irimi techniques are force on force, if you dont think so, get someone to do them with commitment, when you irimi you attack hard and aggressively, its the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoj View Post
      How much aikido have you done? Irimi techniques are force on force, if you dont think so, get someone to do them with commitment, when you irimi you attack hard and aggressively, its the only way.
      I've been doing aikido for about 8 years... I'm a first kyu.

Hmm, i guess. But for the most part, aikido isn't very force on force oriented. I've pulled off iriminage on a guy during bjj once, it really only seemed to be force on force for the entering bit, but once i got his back i threw him with very little effort. (Not sure why i threw him though, i guess i should have coked him)

Comment

Ok, I don't mean iriminage, I mean irimi, as Amdur pointed out, Ueshiba never said there was irimi and tenkan, he said there was irimi, and irimi-tenkan, the irimi part is pretty direct, and can be force on force, in irimi, aiki doesnt mean harmonising with him, it means your body having aiki so its a powerful thing entering, timing/posture/structure etc etc. The entering also is a distance closer so that you are in grappling range, its against the principle of most striking arts. Of course this is coming from an aiki, but not aikido background. To me, aiki is aggressive and close, and that strategy is its strength, learning a striking art kind of goes against that, it means you will be trying to maintain a range, and aiki stuff tends to focus on closing range as fast as possible.

Actually thats not fair, because aikido guys like to be at arms length for a lot of stuff, but anyway, think about it.

Comment

I will think about it. And that makes sense. But to be honest, most of the irimi in aikikai and derivatives is just a setup for a turn. I guess there are many exceptions, but the far majority of aikikai stuff is a set up for a turn, so meeting force with force becomes irrelevant in many cases. Although, i can definitely see what you mean. What you'r talking about, is it similar to the concept of powerful entry in Tenshinage?

Comment

You could try Kyokushin it has traditional and japanesse elements that you may find similar to aikido and has a very good full contact sparring wich will give you some good striking

Comment

Originally posted by pithecircle View Post
              What i'm mainly looking for is nothing that contradicts aiki principles
              Then find an aikido dojo that teaches atemi as part of its techniques. I wouldn't say that aikido atemi is a great striking method, but if conceptual continuity is so important to you, that seems the way to go.

Comment

It has been said on this forum that Isshin-Ryu is the Aikido of striking arts, so perhaps you might look there.

Comment

More important than the actual style of striking is learning the concepts of striking. A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick. Styles differ on execution, strategy, and floweriness. But any study of a striking art will help you understand the fundamental principles involved. From there, if you have a brain, you can incorporate that knowledge into your own unique brand of movement.

Remember, what ultimately matters is you; the practitioner. Styles and techniques are tools, and training is proficiency.
                  Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                  "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Originally posted by pithecircle
                    What I’m mainly looking for is nothing that contradicts aiki principles
                    A
                    nd those principles being what exactly ?

I've a considerable history of studying aikido (Iwama and Aikikai variants) and there's a time and a place within the execution of almost all aikido waza for atemi - be that purely for distraction or, more in line as an intentional technique of its own, in either instance use of atemi will not compromise the inherent characteristics of aikido as a discipline, provided YOU TRAIN in an environment where this sort of application is regularly used.

If you're studying mainline aikikai or a plethora of other styles along those lines, you're pretty much wasting your time trying to integrate what you're looking for because, I would suggest, 95% of the Aikikai community never focus on this aspect thus you'll never be able to consistently train with a wide cross section of people with similar training and mindset.

Before looking at striking as a particular aspect might I suggest you concentrate on oyo and ara waza - both of which should feature to some degree at ikkyu level. If you've never heard of either term let me know and I'll furnish you with more information, that said, if you're not already aware and training as such, you're already missing important aspects/understanding of how aikido principles function/don't function on a fully resisting uke.

Dave
                    Last edited by Rock Ape; 9/01/2011 3:10am, . Reason: removing formatting error

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X