Exercise & Vomit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise & Vomit

Hi all. I wondered if anyone out there could advise on why strenuous exercise sometimes makes me want to vomit. I had a hard training session last night and thought I was going to puke. This has happened before. Also, I remember being in a vale tudo class once and a guy barfed everywhere. Physiologically what is going on? Are there things to do to lessen the likelihood of feeling sick, maybe to do with timing of eating and drinking etc?

only times it's happened to me have been from excessive training on an empty stomach. how's your diet, particularly on your training days?

Comment

(note:this was training ca: 6-7 PM with no lunch and barely any snacks in-between)

Comment

How's your cardio?

Comment

This happens to me if I eat a lot within about two hours of starting training. Are you doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
            This happens to me if I eat a lot within about two hours of starting training. Are you doing that?
            This is what usually makes me pop too, especially when running/C.V. work is involved.

Comment

Not thrown up in training before but as the others have said, I feel bloated and vomity(?) if I've eaten something heavy too close to the training period. Try to avoid that.
              "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

To keep it simple... when you enter to the physiological state that accompanies vigorous exercise, your body prioritizes bloodflow to the musculoskeletal system, and away from less important organs (in that moment) such as the digestive tract. Essentially, your digestion gets put on pause, so instead of things moving down the line, they just stay where they are, which makes them that much more prone to coming back up.
                Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

I used to puke all the time when I started doing Crossfit but the fitter I got the less it happened, never happens anymore. Re food, I stick with a cup of porridge an hour before training and some water and that's never come back to haunt me.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will pay more attention to what and when I eat prior to training. I am 36 and my cardio isn't bad. Perhaps my brain thinks I'm 21 and I push too hard sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Canteen View Post
                      Hi all. I wondered if anyone out there could advise on why strenuous exercise sometimes makes me want to vomit. I had a hard training session last night and thought I was going to puke. This has happened before. Also, I remember being in a vale tudo class once and a guy barfed everywhere. Physiologically what is going on? Are there things to do to lessen the likelihood of feeling sick, maybe to do with timing of eating and drinking etc?
                      Just stop looking at yourself in the mirror.

Comment

I try to avoid exersize while vomiting

Comment

Low blood sugar can be a cause of nausea or vomiting during workouts. Especially after the burst type activities, 3-minute rounds of kicking or nearly any kind of live rolling that you see in teh D34D|`/ martial arts training.

About an hour before my workouts I have some water, and oatmeal mixed with protein powder. It tastes like ass, mostly, but its complex carbs and the protein slows down the absorption. If I can't get that, a cliff bar will do the trick.

Comment

I have to give big heavy/greasy meals at least 5 hours to digest before I go to BJJ class. Usually I eat pretty light n simple meals on days that I train. I can eat some fruit within an hour of class and be fine. But a hamburger 3 hours before class and I'm in trouble.

Worst ever was a big greek meal 4 hours before class. That was the closest I came to hurling. I just maned up and swallowed the chunks that I was coughing up.

Comment

The man knows his physiology

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X