Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knife fighting?

Hello.

I found this site by way of an article title "Knife fighting lies". As I read more, I liked Bullshido more.

I am a knifemaker, and I have zero interest in cutting somebody up, or getting cut myself. But I know there are still people who try. I am always looking for people who have used, or have faced, knives in the real world (military, LE, or personal defense). Can anybody point me to a site or a specific group?

Thanks
    Bladesmith

Bladesmith,

Had them pulled, but never used.

Not trying to derail your thread, but....

Questions

Do you favor a specific blade design? If so, why?

What's your preferred material for blades?

Welcome to the site.

Comment

Welcome, Bladesmith. It's always nice to have someone around who understands the technical aspects of the hardware.

Comment

What blade systems have you trained? Welcome to Bullshido!

Comment

Explanations

I use O-1 tool steel and 440C stainless. I have some 1095 that I work with occaisionally. There is as much competitive BS about the best knife steel as there is about which MA style is best, and the only difference for the average user will be how long the blade stays sharp, and how hard it is to resharpen.

As far as blade designs, I favor whatever works best, and that's a whole forum in itself! It mostly depends on what you're cutting, and the angle of the blade edge, rather than the overall shape of the blade, is what does most of the work.

I have not trained in any blade system, as yet. Referring back to the article that brought me here, there is some question as to whether or not a knife could be brought into play against a determined and experienced opponent. Also, the difference between self defense and attempted murder is very small! If your attacker steps back and you follow up, your roles immediately reverse! From a legal perspective anyway, and whether or not some penny-ante mugger is smart enough to understand that, I am, and I don't want to get anyhwere near attempted homicide.

If I were to train in a formal MA, I would actually look for an empty hand system. That way I don't need to disengage and draw my weapon to make my training work. The trouble is, first, location: south central Pennsylvania, near Harrisburg, is utterly barren of alternatives to TKD, and Issinryu (sp?).

The second problem I have is whether or not a formalized system would actually work against a street level assassin who is just looking to sneak up behind me, stab me in the side and take my wallet while I bleed out. That's why I'm looking for anybody who has had to defend themselves against a knifer.

Comment

Thanks,

With you on the design/edge comments.

My preferences in material.

A2 for general hardness and toughness. Good workability.

D2 for edges needing to stay keen longer. Harder to work.

S7 for when it needs impact resistance. More on the line of chopping edges.

Double draw for all as I heat treat in an oven.

I carry a pocket knife and keep it razor sharp. If needed, plan is to pull and take up fencing stance. Avoid and slash as needed.

Comment

What pocket knife, and how fast can you draw it? Especially if somebody locks up your strong arm?

Comment

Originally posted by Bladesmith View Post
                What pocket knife, and how fast can you draw it? Especially if somebody locks up your strong arm?
                Small Buck. Blade around 2 1/2"

It's a tool. Not a self defense weapon, but it is kept extremely sharp.

Draw time around one second.

If someone has a hold of me, there's not much chance I'm going to be trying to pull out the knife now is there?

Now, if distance can be had, say with a kick, there's a chance. I'd rather have my small yet sharp knife if possible as I'm most likely a lot better with it than the other person. Not happening, then it's all about weapon retention (attacker's) and not getting cut/stabbed.

On your MA quest, consider one of the FMAs.

Most assailants aren't experienced, but you should always train for worst case. Problem is, there's an awful lot of LARPing BS out there as you know.

Link to the article you reference in your OP?

Comment

Link to the article is http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

Beg your pardon, I thought the knife was going to be your first option against an attacker. I'm glad to hear that it's a tool first.

I've lurked in the Eskrima/Arnis/Kali area a little, and did some reading on 'wiki. I like what little I've read, since FMA concentrates on knife and counterknife. I just need to find an instructor near me. I'm an hour east of Harrisburg in Pennsylvania, and the largest "culture" we have is farming!

I'm told there is a school that teaches Krav very close by, I may check it out.

Comment

Bladesmith,
                    Sir not sure how close you would be to theses guys but here is a link to thier webpage www.inayanpgh.com. I hope this may help you with your search Sir.

Comment

Would that school be Lebanon Isshinryu? I wouldn't recommend it. All the good KM schools have it as their main focus instead of as an adjunct program. Also, Krav Maga doesn't touch on weapons until the upper levels unless you're sworn law enforcement or military. Lebanon Isshinryu doesn't even offer the upper level weapon courses. It only goes up to Level 3, while weapons start in Levels 4 and 5.

There's Krav Maga Maryland in Columbia and Owings Mills, MD and we have a Kali group that rents space from us, but that's not exactly a reasonable distance to travel for you.

The problem is that your middle-of-nowhere location doesn't lend itself to good MA training at all.

Comment

Bladesmith,

Is there a fencing school anywhere near you?

Also, from Hock's site, scroll down for Pennsylvania instructors. This is from Google search only, can't speak for the instruction. Maybe someone else here can comment.

http://www.hockscqc.com/staff/unitedstates-new.htm

more reading..

http://www.gutterfighting.org/knife.html

Comment

Yeah, there's a fencing school near me. A friend and I are going to start sparring in an empty field behind another friend's house! Maybe the only way to do this is to start from "go" and see what can be done on my own....

Yes, Lebanon Issinryu is the school, and thanks for the heads up, yli. I'm dissappointed, but not surprised.

This may be my last post for a while, thank you also, Joe, for the chance to think out loud about this.

Bladesmith

Comment

Some thoughts:

Mcyoung talks a big game about how you shouldn't listen to some martial artist's dogma about fighting, but he speaks so dogmatically himself that it can be quite annoying. He write about what you should NEVER do and what ALWAYS happens, etc. Regarding drawing a weapon against someone who's attacking you- yes its unlikely that if someone is in mid-lunge, you're gonna draw a knife and defend yourself, but if you're using good awareness you should know when things don't feel right, and during those times you can make your weapon available to you at a moments notice with a little covert movement. Of course it goes without saying that knife fighting isn't something that's a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladesmith View Post
                              Hello.

I am a knifemaker, and I have zero interest in cutting somebody up, or getting cut myself. But I know there are still people who try. I am always looking for people who have used, or have faced, knives in the real world (military, LE, or personal defense). Can anybody point me to a site or a specific group?

Thanks
                              Bladesmith
                              I recently had my first knife-encounter; thread here.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X