Martial Arts enlightenment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martial Arts enlightenment.

iv been pondering, and what do you guys think makes martial arts different from, say, any kind of sport?

for example, what can you learn through martial arts that you might not pick up doing baseball or football?

what kind of life lessons?

im asking because i get this alot. i have friends or relatives that ask.."well what made you do this over baseball?" "how is getting beat up at practice all the time fun?"

i had my answers. but im curious on your input ;]

Well, I'm not much of a team player. I know that may come as a shock to many Bullshido members.

I enjoy individual challenges. I like winning alone and I'm comfortable losing alone as well.

Comment

Baseballs and footballs are dumb weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
        Baseballs and footballs are dumb weapons.
        Baseball does have the redeeming quality of using clubs made from hardwood and metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouch View Post
          for example, what can you learn through martial arts that you might not pick up doing baseball or football?
          How about a football player who learns judo, or a baseball player who boxes? Better tackles, better swings.

Martial arts are a great way to improve sports playing, and vice versa.

Martial arts are also context sensitive:

in one environment they can be a sport

in another they can be self defense

in another they can be a criminal act.

In many contexts, they are outright nonsense and nuttery.

Comment

Originally posted by devil View Post
            Baseball does have the redeeming quality of using clubs made from hardwood and metal.
            I might have to change my style field.

Comment

Because football doesn't allow head kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by yli View Post
                Because football doesn't allow head kicks.
                Fuck it. Kicking an opposing player is only a 15 yard penalty......if it's not flagrant. That would get you an ejection. So you need to use ninja kicks.

Comment

Football and baseball are not too "deadly for the street" (unless traffic). Real martial arts are too deadly for the sports because of eye poke and nut kick plus no rules and ninja deadly poison coated sharp things. So when people need to know why you do martial arts, blind them.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                    How about a football player who learns judo, or a baseball player who boxes? Better tackles, better swings.

Martial arts are a great way to improve sports playing, and vice versa.

Martial arts are also context sensitive:

in one environment they can be a sport

in another they can be self defense

in another they can be a criminal act.

In many contexts, they are outright nonsense and nuttery.
                    well put sir. never thought of that as a benefit.

Comment

Well, I'm not much of a team player. I know that may come as a shock to many Bullshido members.

I enjoy individual challenges. I like winning alone and I'm comfortable losing alone as well.
                      i glad you im not the only one! im a lone ranger. i like the challenge being aallll on me. i have no help. nor do i have to rely on anybody but myself. i feel like it breeds more mental toughness.

Comment

iv been pondering, and what do you guys think makes martial arts different from, say, any kind of sport?

What you learn in MA which you cannot learn elsewhere is how to impose your physical will upon another human being who is actively trying to prevent you from doing so, and also how to take it when it invariably happens to you.

what kind of life lessons?
                        Nothing else which you cannot get elsewhere.

im asking because i get this alot. i have friends or relatives that ask.."well what made you do this over baseball?" "how is getting beat up at practice all the time fun?"
                        There is only one correct answer to both questions: Because you like it.

i glad you im not the only one! im a lone ranger. i like the challenge being aallll on me. i have no help. nor do i have to rely on anybody but myself. i feel like it breeds more mental toughness.
                        Regardless of how much "mental toughness" (as you put it) it might breed, it still will not make your dad love you.
                        Last edited by Tom Kagan; 6/15/2011 2:26pm, . Reason: spelling
                        Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                        "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                        Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                        Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                        Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                        Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                        Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                        I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                        TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                        ATTN TOM KAGAN
                        World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                        Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                        I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                        Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

I dont like playing with balls.

Comment

Fuck it. Kicking an opposing player is only a 15 yard penalty......if it's not flagrant. That would get you an ejection. So you need to use ninja kicks.
                            (Brian Cushing performs a surreptitious groin shot on a Seahawks player.)

Comment

Originally posted by yli View Post
                              (Brian Cushing performs a surreptitious groin shot on a Seahawks player.)
                              Goddamn ninja!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X