No announcement yet.

Judo/Yudo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone in Korea pronounces Judo Yudo. The pronunciation I think it has to do with the Hangul alphabet. Its easier to spell it Yudo than Jchudo.

Most people in Korea understand its is internationally known as Judo, but Koreans have a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to Japan. All of the techniques are trained with Korean names and all of the Japanese terminology is replaced with Korean ones. Counting to ten in Japanese while warming up is a good way to piss off a room of Yongin graduates.

There is very little difference between Japanes and Korean Judo. In fact it is remarkably similar. Koreans don't like the European style or wrestly Judo. They favor classic Kodokan throws. Most of them can't even do a double leg if you ask them to.

Comment

Originally posted by rsobrien View Post
      Everyone in Korea pronounces Judo Yudo. The pronunciation I think it has to do with the Hangul alphabet. Its easier to spell it Yudo than Jchudo.

Most people in Korea understand its is internationally known as Judo, but Koreans have a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to Japan. All of the techniques are trained with Korean names and all of the Japanese terminology is replaced with Korean ones. Counting to ten in Japanese while warming up is a good way to piss off a room of Yongin graduates.

There is very little difference between Japanes and Korean Judo. In fact it is remarkably similar. Koreans don't like the European style or wrestly Judo. They favor classic Kodokan throws. Most of them can't even do a double leg if you ask them to.
      I do not believe Morote gari has become 'illegal' in Yudo. Yudo may have been identical to Judo in 1963, but Judo is not identical with what it was before the Olympics anymore. Judo is whatever the IJF says it is; Yudo is whatever the S Koreans say it is; this is why they can not be one and the same.
      Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
      Luta Livre flees the fight,
      Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
      Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

I've known that Yudo is the Korean translation of Judo for a while. After recently taking a few Judo classes it seems the Japanese names for throws were pretty literal and descriptive of what the throw was doing. I'm curious if Yudo practitioners then call O Soto Gari by the Korean translation?

In Hapkido, for some reason, the wrist lock names were never taught to me in Korean while striking techniques and kicks were. The other techniques were just numbered. I'm sure some Hapkido schools are different but I haven't heard of any translating the wristlock techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Phillips View Post
          I do not believe Morote gari has become 'illegal' in Yudo. Yudo may have been identical to Judo in 1963, but Judo is not identical with what it was before the Olympics anymore. Judo is whatever the IJF says it is; Yudo is whatever the S Koreans say it is; this is why they can not be one and the same.
          Morote Gari isn't illegal in Judo either... and until there is an international "Yudo" circuit (hint: never), Yudo practitioners will do whatever the fuck the IJF tells them just like the rest of us.

You're actually trying to argue that Yudo is legitimately a fork of Judo, like BJJ or SOMBO? In the words of generations of great New York philosophers: geddafuckoutahere.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Phillips View Post
            What on earth are you talking about? The whole MTripp thing about the IJF ruling the Judo universe? You s till in contact with him or what?

Show me how Judo and Yudo techniques are substantially different technically or in principle. Go on, use your Judo expertise to do it.

Yudo is Judo in Korean. If the Korean Judo NGB uses "Judo" instead of "Yudo", that does not make Yudo any different than Kodokan Judo.

Ben
            Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Yeh Matt, I don't know where you have got this Yudo vs Judo thing from, but as far as I'm aware the distinction is 90% in your head.
              sigpic

Comment

If I see my Korean judoka friend at class this week, I'll ask him.

Comment

I want to know what happened to the South Korean, 81kg, 3rd dan who showed up at fresher's fayre and then never came Judo, we needed that motherfucker for our team.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                    I want to know what happened to the South Korean, 81kg, 3rd dan who showed up at fresher's fayre and then never came Judo, we needed that motherfucker for our team.
                    LOL, I'm sure he thought you guys were way to tough for him so he decided to pass and go do some Jitsu in case he needs to defend himself.

Ben

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                      LOL, I'm sure he thought you guys were way to tough for him so he decided to pass and go do some Jitsu in case he needs to defend himself.

Ben
                      He kind of had this haunted look in his eye as he looked at the big word Judo on our sign above the stand.

I was super excited about having him on board, but he was clearly a bit traumatised from what he'd had to go through in Korea and had had enough of Judo.

He said he wanted to play poofball instead.
                      sigpic

Comment

He kind of had this haunted look in his eye as he looked at the big word Judo on our sign above the stand.

I was super excited about having him on board, but he was clearly a bit traumatised from what he'd had to go through in Korea and had had enough of Judo.

Aww, that sucks. At least he'll know how to ukemi when he takes a dive.

Comment

I guess he thought he had finally escaped getting slapped around for making mistakes on the tatami, but lo, he shows up in a supposedly modern country and J(y)udo has followed him halfway around the world.

You sure he didn't mistake your Judo club for Poofball?

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                            You sure he didn't mistake your Judo club for Poofball?

Ben
                            I hope not, our sign saying 'Judo' was really fucking massive.

I was tempted to point him to the Ladies football standard, but I thought there was a very real possibility he could kick my arse, lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X