BJJ advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ advice needed

So I've started to have some success in passing the guard by putting my butt up in the air, having my legs spread wide and being up on my toes, and having my head on the other guys head, hands on knees, and then trying to pin on of the legs and move toward side control. I noticed that when this doesn't work, so far the same thing keeps happening. My partner shifts to one side, grabs one of my legs, and then gets an effortless sweep. How do I prevent this type of sweep, and how should I continue to try and progress toward a pass afterwards? I keep being advised to posture up, but I am also an easy victim of the "sit up sweep". How should I counter this? I have a ridiculous, nearly comical level of leg strength, and am very tall. Aside from getting really good at the triangle, how are some other ways that I can structure my game around my specific physical advantages? Thanks!

LOL....the same way you got into it, drop your weight. IMO this is a terrible guard pass. Please don't let success breed bad habits.

Comment

This was not originally a wall of text. I had like 4 paragraphs in original post. I'm not THAT much of a newb.

Comment

Are you in a real BJJ school?

Comment

Indeed. I'm surprised you aren't getting swept every time.

Comment

Glad everyone decided to stop by to point and laugh. I've only been training for about a month. Our school just competed in the SFV Machado invitational. Of the 8 guys that went, 4 came back with gold, one with silver. It's definitely a real BJJ school, lol. I think I didn't explain very well what I was doing. Part of it that I left out is that I'm also stacking the guy on his neck. Anyways I'm not going to get butthurt over the comments. This isn't a pass that I was taught, it's more something I hacked together from watching MMA. I'm happy to ditch it and use something better, but so far, every time I try and use a pass that I see online, I'm unable to make it work. I think my main difficulty is either I'm not able to get the guy to open his guard, or I don't have the experience, sensitivity or whatever to notice when he does. I think so far I've only been taught one or two passes in class, and I forgot them. I tend to go to the mixed class instead of the white belt class, because I figured I'd learn quicker that way, but maybe I am missing out on learning some fundamentals. If anyone does want to help and try and answer any of the questions that I posted, instead of just snickering, that's cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by No.1_Son View Post
              Glad everyone decided to stop by to point and laugh. I've only been training for about a month. Our school just competed in the SFV Machado invitational. Of the 8 guys that went, 4 came back with gold, one with silver. It's definitely a real BJJ school, lol. I think I didn't explain very well what I was doing. Part of it that I left out is that I'm also stacking the guy on his neck. Anyways I'm not going to get butthurt over the comments. This isn't a pass that I was taught, it's more something I hacked together from watching MMA. I'm happy to ditch it and use something better, but so far, every time I try and use a pass that I see online, I'm unable to make it work. I think my main difficulty is either I'm not able to get the guy to open his guard, or I don't have the experience, sensitivity or whatever to notice when he does. I think so far I've only been taught one or two passes in class, and I forgot them. I tend to go to the mixed class instead of the white belt class, because I figured I'd learn quicker that way, but maybe I am missing out on learning some fundamentals. If anyone does want to help and try and answer any of the questions that I posted, instead of just snickering, that's cool too.
              1. Stop learning off the internet.
              2. Go to the white belt class.
              3. Stop learning from internet.
              4. Go to the white belt class.
              5. Go to the mix class.
              6. Train more.
              7. Stop learning off the internet.
              8. Profit.

Thier you go in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by No.1_Son View Post
                First of all kid, I'm not laughing at you. I gave you some advice, abandon that guard pass. If you're going to be a dick about this then you can go fuck yourself from now on.

Comment

Go to white belt class, ask for a guard pass from the instructor, drill it endlessly. What you're describing isn't a pass it's a beginner mistake and an abortion of a technique.

Watch some of Dan's vids for reference and ask your coach!

Last edited by DKJr; 6/07/2011 2:51pm, .

Comment

Thank you. I will abandon the crappy technique and take your advise. Moving on, how should one counter the "sit-up sweep" from the closed guard?

Comment

Work on maintaining a solid base and control their hips. Again, ask your instructor about what you're doing wrong posture and base wise when you're in their guard.

Comment

The answer from most reasonable people on this forum will be 'ask your instructor'. If you're going to a legitimate school, you have a head instructor and a number of experienced students who can answer your questions, walk you through it, and give feedback as you progress.

Seeking input from a forum with one month of experience is not a good idea.

Comment

Damn you and your reasonableness, logic, & common sense! That stuff is for chumps. Come on internet, make me t3h de4dly haha. On a serious note, thanks for the feedback. Sorry if I came off like a dick.

Comment

OP, definitely go to the fundamentals class. Those are the basic building blocks of a game. I hate seeing people who are so excited quit bjj because they had some gimmicky successes and then their training partners improve and that gimmick fails consistently. So, enjoy the white belt class and I hope you stick with it.

Comment

The bad thing about Youtube is that all new students want to learn all the flashy stuff before they have got down the basic techniques first. Everyone wants to learn everything fast and not take their time. I still practice my basic techniques on a regular basis. My goal is to master them.

As a white belt you are in what I call the parking lot stage...meaning when you first learn to drive your dad took you to an empty parking lot and you learned the basics of driving such as steering, applying the brakes and developing good driving habits. He did not say "Okay son lets hop on the freeway and learn how to drive".

Unfortunately some schools don't have a beginners class instead they throw everyone together and the new guy either hacks it out and gets through the confusion and stress of learning advanced techniques or quits.

In my academy all beginners have to go through a 3 month beginners class where they learn the basics and nothing more. Once I feel they have a understanding of what they are doing then they can participate with intermediate and advanced classes.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X