Belt factories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belt factories

Don't you just hate schools that hand out belts basically for just showing up? One of my old instructors is doing just that. Laughing all the way to the bank for selling piss-poor martial arts. Still makes me feel good to call him a douchebag sometimes. Last I heard he has no adult students anymore and is basically a glorified daycare. He wasn't like that years ago. Almost as bad as those mail order black belt programs. I guess it all comes down to anything for a buck. Hope all those kids don't ever have to try to defend themselves with the shit he's teaching...sad.

Is he teaching them taekwondo?

Comment

Originally posted by Pendergast View Post
      Don't you just hate schools that hand out belts basically for just showing up? One of my old instructors is doing just that. Laughing all the way to the bank for selling piss-poor martial arts. Still makes me feel good to call him a douchebag sometimes. Last I heard he has no adult students anymore and is basically a glorified daycare. He wasn't like that years ago. Almost as bad as those mail order black belt programs. I guess it all comes down to anything for a buck. Hope all those kids don't ever have to try to defend themselves with the shit he's teaching...sad.
      do you have any evidence of him opening up a mcdojo/mcdojan/mcgym (basically maccas + name of training ground)? you could call on an investigation on bullshido and see if he responds etc

welcome to bullshido btw :)

Comment

Well, while I definitely condone investigations of pretty much any description, I'm not sure that mcdojoism is cause for investigation. Mcdojo's are so widespread that if we had an investigation on every mcdojo to simply confirm that it IS a mcdojo, the server would bog down in threads and threads full of similar karate/taekwondo and other popular mcdojo brands.

If you think that the training practices are dangerous, or are being carried out by unqualified people however, (low grade belts training other beginners or other students and doing so in an unsafe way, for example.) then that is the sort of thing that often IS worth an investigation.

That being said, please take the investigations thread very seriously, as this basically serves as the public record of legal research being undertaken.

Also, read the stickies, and welcome to bullshido.
        video game reviews

Comment

Being in MA all my life I have a real issue with these self esteem booster clubs. Make no mistake they are not dojos they are no MA clubs they are self esteem boosters. However it is not new when I was young Katate places were popping up everywhere and offering black belt contracts.

I have had parents and adult student offer money for promotions. I can't imagine why people don't just walk in the store and buy one.

With all that being said I agree placing him on here will not do any good as the clients that are there know in their heart of hearts they are not earning anything and they are okay with that.

Those groups typically can't last in a Dojo environment so this is their alternative. They would have no other way so all you would do is create drama and accomplish nothing.

Comment

What kind of MA is it? I did Goju Ryu as a kid, and you couldnt get you BB until you were 18. We sparred multiple times weekly, and we competed all the time. I dropped out because I discovered girls, fast forward 13 years, and the same school has 12 yr olds with BBs and they dont spar anymore. I dont need to investigate shit, Shihan sold out.End of story.

Comment

I won't award a blackbelt rank to anybody under 16. I will allow kids to test for their blackbelt before that though. The youngest that's ever been able to do that was 10 years old. He started when he was 4. I've always viewed it like getting a drivers license. It doesn't mean you can't learn to drive, it doesn't mean you can't drive a car, it simply means that you're not allowed to drive legally until a certain age.

Comment

maybe he got tired of the sue-happy whining pussies that took over this country. So instead of talking shit behind his back, challenge him.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                  I won't award a blackbelt rank to anybody under 16. I will allow kids to test for their blackbelt before that though. The youngest that's ever been able to do that was 10 years old. He started when he was 4. I've always viewed it like getting a drivers license. It doesn't mean you can't learn to drive, it doesn't mean you can't drive a car, it simply means that you're not allowed to drive legally until a certain age.
                  If the 10 year old passes and continues consistent training for the next 6 years, does he get the black belt @ 16 years without testing or do you have him test again?

Comment

Originally posted by FCB View Post
                    If the 10 year old passes and continues consistent training for the next 6 years, does he get the black belt @ 16 years without testing or do you have him test again?
                    Yes, although I've only had 3 do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank White View Post
                      maybe he got tired of the sue-happy whining pussies that took over this country. So instead of talking shit behind his back, challenge him.
                      Problem number one with our country!

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                        Yes, although I've only had 3 do that.
                        That's cool they did though. I imagine you've got to have some goal to keep them motivated. These are going to be goal-oriented kids after all if they are reaching that level of competence that young.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes. This guy is teaching a watered down version of tkd. One of former adult students is already in a lawsuit with him. When she left the school, she ended up doing a couple seminars with a 9th dan that bascially laughed at what she was doing and asked how she got a black belt. She had to relearn pretty much everything. This is after God knows how many hours over there and dollars spent. I agree completely with the person that said deep down the people there know that what they are learning is total shit. I left there quite a while ago on rather unfriendly terms. I let the folks there know exactly what I thought of them at the time and don't really see the need to get involved with them again. I was using this experience as an example of how schools turn to shit and it just pisses me off in general. He knows what he does and what his school has become. I've never heard anyone around the area who knows anything at all about martial arts speak very well of him. It was starting to get bad around the time I left...I was an assistant instructor and he wouldn't let me evaluate potential test candidates because he knew I wouldn't recommend them for testing if they didn't know what the hell they were doing. He let other lower ranking students check them and more or less tell them to make sure they tested. Didn't want to miss out on a testing fee. That was the first of many reasons why I left.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X