Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moenstah View Post
    @ OT

Heat exhaustion, why do you think the metal cuirass was often replaced in ancient greece? (see example)

or the knight covered up his great helm and chain? (see 2nd example)

That Greeks outfit looks air-conditioned lol, I wonder if low strikes were of concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
      That Greeks outfit looks air-conditioned lol, I wonder if low strikes were of concern.
      Shield seemed to cover everything the shin guards didn't.

Comment

Travelling back in time - when my larping around with swords finally pays off, and I wish I hadn't started (larping) Wing Chun instead! ;)

Regarding armour, it's not really that bad. Think of a mail hauberk as a badly fitted hiking pack, and you're about there. Most of the weight sits on the shoulders.

My understanding is that Plate weighs around the same as chain, but is much easier to move in, since it's strapped down, and the weight is distributed over the body more - like a well fitted hiking pack.
        You won't be setting any land-speed records, but you can stand around waiting for your part of the battlefield to get messy.

Hold the shield up indefinitely on the other hand..... ugh! You know that part of the fight where you're wrecked, and your corner is yelling 'get those hands up' at you? Picture that with dumbbells in each hand!

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Money View Post
          Travelling back in time - when my larping around with swords finally pays off, and I wish I hadn't started (larping) Wing Chun instead! ;)

Regarding armour, it's not really that bad. Think of a mail hauberk as a badly fitted hiking pack, and you're about there. Most of the weight sits on the shoulders.

My understanding is that Plate weighs around the same as chain, but is much easier to move in, since it's strapped down, and the weight is distributed over the body more - like a well fitted hiking pack.
          You won't be setting any land-speed records, but you can stand around waiting for your part of the battlefield to get messy.

Hold the shield up indefinitely on the other hand..... ugh! You know that part of the fight where you're wrecked, and your corner is yelling 'get those hands up' at you? Picture that with dumbbells in each hand!
          I have a sword and shield there not that heavy, the sword is maybe 2.5 lbs and the shield probably 10(its 16 gauge). Now using them for any extended amount of time makes them feel like dumbbells.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X