Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Hi everybody,
    I was surfing the net and came across this forum, I thought it would be an interesting place to join and discuss one of my passions, martial arts. It also looks like an awesome place to meet new people, learn a lot and have some healthy debates.

I have only just gotton back into martial arts after a lengthy absence. I am originally from Australia but currently reside in Vancouver BC, Canada where I have lived for the last three years. I have also lived in Chicago Illinois and a few other places. I work in the security industry, I am ex Australian army (infantry) and I am considering joining the british army next year.

I currently study Taijutsu and CSW, I also train in Krav Maga and boxing. I will most likely be starting kung fu in the next two weeks, I have found a school that seems good but I guess I will find out when I rock up. I will make sure to use the search school feature on this website which I think is a great idea.

Well that is some insight into myself, I am off to have a look at the forums. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Welcome to Bullshido.

What kind of kung fu?
    '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

The school I am looking at teaches Songshan Shaolin, thanks for the welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
        The school I am looking at teaches Songshan Shaolin, thanks for the welcome
        Bullshido is a great site is for carefully separating the myths vs realities of "Shaolin" training because a lot of what people associate with "Song Mountain Shaolin" comes from movies. That's a shame because underneath all the hype and movie magic is a very alive martial art (if you train in it correctly, and spar hard).

"Aliveness" is a Bullshido gold standard for training effectiveness...it comes down to are you standing and doing choreographed punch/defense drills and just forms all the time, or are you engaged with a moving, resisting opponent. Sadly, many kung fu schools (kwoons) seem to have abandoned the aliveness for other things, like making money, retaining students, and promoting "Fighting without Fighting" and that sort of nonsense.

My sifu put it like this once (paraphrasing):

"Not fighting is not fighting. Sparring is not fighting, only fighting is fighting".
        A lot of terrible training claiming to be "Shaolin" has been covered in depth here. The Search Function is your friend.

On the brighter side, there are veteran site members who have a history training effectively in Shaolin-derived kung fu such as the southern family styles, etc (such as Hung Ga, what I study).

Good luck. Share the schools you are looking at with the community here for feedback..just be open minded and willing to accept brutal honesty. You might find after some careful research that you just saved yourself thousands of dollars and years of effort that could have been spent with a better kung fu school, or a different style altogether.

That said, for the record: I love kung fu.
        Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/02/2011 7:20pm, .
        '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Always nice to see another Aussie on the boards!
          Drop the Taijutsu ^_^

Heed the advice of the Rabbit... This time.

Welcome to Bullshido!
          video game reviews

Comment

Just one quick question, where do you train Krav Maga?

There's so much Bullshido regarding KM that I'm afraid that you're training at one of the Commando Krav Maga schools in Vancouver, and not the local KM Alliance School, which is much better.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

I really don't know much about kung fu fellas so I really do appreciate any advice, also I want to have a look through the forums and see what others say about this so cheers. Rabbit, I am pretty restricted in what I can do around here with regards to Kung fu I think, i have 2 days open a week where I can train and the school has their shaolin program open then. The alternative is Tae kwon Do which I did a few years ago and I think shaolin would be better for my goals. W Rabbit, I really liked what you had to say because I am training to fight in a life threatening situation if the need arises, I have no desire to become a UFC fighter (love UFC but not my aim) and I think that fighting is the only way I can be readily prepared.

Colin, why do you suggest dropping the taijutsu? I take this and CSW, about 1-2 classes a week depending on my work schedule as a reality based program, I work higher end security and I want to brush up on my skills. Granted, I don't really want to go to ground in the street however I want to be able to handle myself if I do go to ground hence the csw component. I have been doing taijutsu for a while now and I find it is pretty brutal, my sensei teaches us i as a reality based self defense more then a traditional martial art. I welcome any feedback you have on this however, and thank christ for Australia!

Yli I train with a mate of mine who does Kommando Krav, he is a student there in one of the downtown van schools. I have gone to a couple drop in classes to suss it out and see if its something I want to do on a more regular basis. I used to work with him at a really rough bar in downtown Van, we train together pretty regularly and swap ideas. My buddy has done both krav magas and likes this one better, he told me that he feels it is more open to innovation and not as set in its ways. I have done the other krav to but quite a few years ago, I don't think there is a KM alliance school near me. I have heard critisism about kommando krav and for me the jury is still out, I am going to go more regularly and see how it goes.

There is a defendo school in van, another buddy raves about it. It is in north van though which is way too far for me to get to.

Comment

Commando Krav Maga is not a legitimate Krav Maga organization, your local legitimate school is here: http://www.kravmagabc.com/

I suggest you personally give them a try. If they don't impress you, or if it's not to your liking, then don't take Krav Maga at all. Find another martial art like Boxing, Muay Thai, or Judo. You'll thank yourself. Finding the r34l d34dly Krav Maga is quite difficult and I happened to stumble upon it only by chance anyway (the closest gym to my house is one of the regional training centers and one of the few places on the East Coast with a black belt at the helm).

Secondly, about the innovation part, KM is definitely not set in its ways. To say that is just....argh. I don't even know where to begin. Even in Level 1, they teach you to do what you have to, when you have you as long as you don't get hurt. If it works, use it. If it doesn't, discard it.

Anyway...

Moni Azik, the founder of Commando Krav Maga was never a student of Imi Lichtenfeld, nor did was his system ever taught at the Wingate Institute, nor was he in IDF Special Forces, nor does his system actually work. Moni Aizik is a wanna-be Judoka who is absolutely clueless. Not to mention the fact that it's ludicrously easy to get an instructor certification, while getting your Expert and Master levels in Krav Maga in most of the legitimate KM organization actually takes *years*. Not days, not months, not weeks, but *years*. For higher level practitioners, it will also require trips to the NTC in Los Angeles and later on, Wingate in Israel. Mr. Azik hands out his instructor certs in 3. Fucking. Days.

3. Think about it.

It takes a lengthy apprenticeship from Phase A through Phase C in my own organization to become a fully qualified instructor. You have to demonstrate day in, day out, in front of a higher ranking instructor your capability to teach Krav Maga to students. You also have to do a significant amount of full contact fighting.

Even then, there's still plenty of really shitty Krav Maga being taught out there, due to a variety of clueless instructors who start classes/schools despite being only halfway through Phase A.

3 days with Moni Azik's people, Youtube and some DVDs aren't going to cut it.

I used the search function for you, so that you can see what exactly is wrong with Commando Krav Maga:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=73865&page=1

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=103699&page=1

http://www.realitybasedtraining.co.u...-commando.html

Anyway, please, either take real Krav Maga or find another martial art.

Comment

sweet man, thanks for the advice, I will def check that out.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X