Muay Thai in Akron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muay Thai in Akron

I live in Akron, OH. I've been searching the board and Google but can't seem to find anything legit in my area. I definitely don't want to train at Asian Sun for obvious reasons. Does anyone know of a close dojo that teaches Muay Thai?

Looks like I'll have to wait until next year and go to a camp in Thailand then...

Comment

There's Evolve mma in Medina with Ryan Madigan who's very good- http://evolveohio.com/MMA.aspx

Comment

i WISH there was one in Akron bro, maybe someone will come along and post a good one :( I'm not far from there myself (maybe an hour), i'd definitely make a few monthly trips to train there if there were one :(

Comment

I dunno how qualified i am to suggest this but here goes, lol.

Why don't you try asking the martial artists in that area if they've trained in Muay Thai and if they can teach you? It doesn't exactly have to be an enlisted program. I mean, my gym was generally a boxing/kickboxing club, but it turns out that alot of the trainers are into MMA. I personally asked one of the trainers to teach me Muay Thai. He's even teaching me a few submissions and is gonna help me crosstrain with the local grapplers.

Comment

well, here's the thing with that. The only good martial artists in my area (as in, anywhere i'm willing to drive lol) are either the shotokan school i used to go to (even that is getting mc dojoish now a days, they just don't wanna admit it lol) or the MMA school that i currently attend.

My MMA coach is good at Muay Thai, but not like GREAT at it (compared to someone who say, trains specifically in muay thai). I don't have time to do privates with him (nor the absurd amount of money he wants for privates lol), and i'd rather if i was going to study it INTENSELY, have it be from someone who specializes in it.

That's just me though ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by proteinshakez View Post
              well, here's the thing with that. The only good martial artists in my area (as in, anywhere i'm willing to drive lol) are either the shotokan school i used to go to (even that is getting mc dojoish now a days, they just don't wanna admit it lol) or the MMA school that i currently attend.

My MMA coach is good at Muay Thai, but not like GREAT at it (compared to someone who say, trains specifically in muay thai). I don't have time to do privates with him (nor the absurd amount of money he wants for privates lol), and i'd rather if i was going to study it INTENSELY, have it be from someone who specializes in it.

That's just me though ^_^
              So what does your MMA coach teach you exactly? :x
              I guess i just got lucky with my trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocher View Post
                So what does your MMA coach teach you exactly? :x
                I guess i just got lucky with my trainer.
                he teaches muay thai, BJJ, and wrestling lol.

The issue is, being an MMA coach, that he has to teach ALL of this to everyone there, so it's hard for him to find time to specifically work on things as often as i'd like. He's great at muay thai, i just want even MORE time with it than he can give right now is what i mean :D

Comment

Have you checked out Evolve MMA in Medina?

Comment

No, I haven't. How good is the Muay Thai coach there?

Comment

Is there a Gracie affiliate in Akron? Becuase if there is someone needs to do a video series called Gracie In Akron.
                      Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                      Luta Livre flees the fight,
                      Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                      Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Phillips View Post
                        Is there a Gracie affiliate in Akron? Becuase if there is someone needs to do a video series called Gracie In Akron.
                        I don't know what thats supposed to mean... but...

Eduardo "Dudu" Barros teaches in Akron. 4x Brazilian National Champion & fights for Nova Uniao.

Comment

I've never trained with Ryan Madigan but have heard good things about him. Couldn't hurt to give it a shot

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X