Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can one make pad work in boxing/kick affective for self defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can one make pad work in boxing/kick affective for self defense?

Maybe emphasize straights over hooks and only low kicks and sweeps in SD situations, but otherwise Boxing/kickboxing footwork, head movement and guard are all highly effective for self defence, my advice would be to just stick with what you're already doing.

Originally posted by Odacon View Post
    Maybe emphasize straights over hooks and only low kicks and sweeps in SD situations, but otherwise Boxing/kickboxing footwork, head movement and guard are all highly effective for self defence, my advice would be to just stick with what you're already doing.
    Seconded. Trained boxer > street fighter. Also, you should teach people to de-escalate. Street fights aren't necessary (or legal. or a good idea), and trained fighters rarely find themselves in such (in my experience).

Comment

Road work so you can run away is probably the best drill to practice for self defence. Other than that maybe some striking at the "clinch range" and while being grabbed may be a good idea.

Comment

10 second rounds with full gear.
        Then 10 second rounds with one person nominated to start off the fight.(Sucker punching)
        Then 10 second rounds with a bit of verbal and push and shove at the start.

Basicly it puts you straight into the exchange part of fighting. You should find that people will just bang for the 10 seconds rather than backpedal and stand off.

Otherwise the actual fight training for boxing and kickboxing is fine.

Quick edit after reading above post.
        Just alow people to tie eachother up.(Double underhooks headlocks that kind of thing). I wouldn't add throws to people who cannot fall.
        Last edited by gregaquaman; 5/31/2011 8:05am, .

Comment

You are better off training to defend real punches and then having to deal with crap ones rather than doing it the other way

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X