Supplementing Judo with Yoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplementing Judo with Yoga

My hamstrings and hips are extremely tight. I could do with some flexibility training, especially since the warmups at my club involve very little stretching. I see some people on Bullshido have had good experiences with Yoga for this, but in searching for a Yoga studio, I'm slapping my forehead looking at the prices. Most of these places are $120-150/month.

One exception: http://www.thepeoplesyoga.org/ More like $55/month. Although I only intend to go once or twice a week, so I might pay per visit and only spend about $40/month if I go there.

So my question is: Are the high prices to be expected? If I did get set up with a decent Yoga studio, what is reasonable to pay for going once a week?

Be sure to ask the yoga people if they spar before you join.

Nothing is worse than non-alive yoga. I tried a class once and it turned out to be nothing but Downward Dogs and Crows all session. I kept waiting for the part where we would fight, breathing fire and punching/kicking each other with rapidly expanding limbs, but it never happened. I felt so cheated.

P.S. You can easily improve your flexibility yourself for free if you can stretch at home diligently without someone forcing you to do it. Yoga will improve your core strength too though and you'll be around a lot of women if that floats your boat.
    Last edited by maofas; 5/31/2011 4:22am, .

Comment

BKR used to do a lot of yoga and said it helped his Judo immensly. Drop him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.

Comment

Not much help but prices can really vary with Yoga, maybe try looking at local university classes as these are often cheaper (but may not be available to you). Also be aware that there are different types/styles so make sure you're doing one that suits your needs. Pilates is another option - one that I prefer - but, again, there are more 'active' styles and you'd need to attend a class first to get a good idea of what they do.

Comment

I have the same problems with hips and hamstrings. ANother member of the site turned me on to http://www.amazon.com/Relax-into-Str.../dp/0938045288

It helped, and for a lot less than Yoga
          Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
          Luta Livre flees the fight,
          Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
          Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Buy a Dvd and do the workout (routine?) at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Yoga-.../323ZUW5Q8D6YE

or youtube:

I would guess you'd be better off training with an experienced Yoger.
            But dude you can be a Youtube Yogi.

Comment

I was going to start yoga but one of the guys got Pilates certified and all I can say is its better than any yoga I have ever done.

Comment

I do yoga once a week (Tuesday night 8:00-9:15pm) and I can't really feel the difference it makes. Sure, its relaxing and I sleep alot that night but, stretching-wise, I would not recommend it. I much prefer the exercises I use to do when I took TKD. They were one of the few things I learnt there that came into any practical use ;)

Comment

Originally posted by maofas View Post
                  Be sure to ask the yoga people if they spar before you join.

Nothing is worse than non-alive yoga. I tried a class once and it turned out to be nothing but Downward Dogs and Crows all session. I kept waiting for the part where we would fight, breathing fire and punching/kicking each other with rapidly expanding limbs, but it never happened. I felt so cheated.

P.S. You can easily improve your flexibility yourself for free if you can stretch at home diligently without someone forcing you to do it. Yoga will improve your core strength too though and you'll be around a lot of women if that floats your boat.
                  Quite.

Edit: If Yoga could either give me decent physical results among a lot of women vs. turning me into a guy who can punch from ten feet away and breathe fire, I would still choose the former.
                  Last edited by watchman; 5/31/2011 6:29pm, . Reason: Further thought

Comment

YOGA FLAME
                    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                    Luta Livre flees the fight,
                    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Katriona, what kind of exercises did you do when you took TKD? Judo is twice a week for me, so I'd like to add a third night of something physical. If that's lower impact than Judo, that might even be ideal, though I would like to focus on flexibility (and core training).

Comment

Originally posted by watchman View Post
                        Katriona, what kind of exercises did you do when you took TKD? Judo is twice a week for me, so I'd like to add a third night of something physical. If that's lower impact than Judo, that might even be ideal, though I would like to focus on flexibility (and core training).
                        Really really simple stretches.

Basically this: http://www.womensheart.org/content/e...g_exercise.asp

I used to go to tkd thrice a week and stretch for around 15-30 minutes each session. At the start of the year, I could not touch my toes (limit was around my knees). After a year, I could do a full split.

Comment

what is a good form of yoga for martial arts. or is there one?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Josh View Post
                            I was going to start yoga but one of the guys got Pilates certified and all I can say is its better than any yoga I have ever done.
                            Pilates is based on yoga. I did yoga at Alvina's studio in New Orleans. It was normal to leave a pool of sweat on the floor. The kind of yoga you sit around chanting "aum" is not as directly useful to Judo.

BTW, Pilates is great.

Ben

Comment

I saw my name taken in vain, so I'll respond to the OP.

I did yoga several days a week for 7 or 8 years beginning when I was 27 years old due to problems with my neck and upper back (from doing Judo of course). This was at the reccomendation of my chiropractor.

It worked. I had always considered myself to be pretty flexible, as I had stretched a lot as part of my judo training since I was 17 years old.

I did yoga with a unique teacher, who had been a dancer (ballet). She was hard core. We were doing what is now done as vinyasana before the hype on it and Ashtanga.

In short, yoga can be a great help to you in Judo, and life/health in general. If you find a good place and you put the time into it are the caveats.

Once a week unless you plan to be disciplined and stretch everyday on your own may not do much good.

As Josh noted, Pilates is a good option as well. It will be do stretching with more core work (although the yoga I did was very focused on core as well, again before it became any sort of buzzword it is today).

Ben

Ben
                              Last edited by BKR; 6/01/2011 10:05am, . Reason: Distracted by work, dammit!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X