My first three sessions in Muay Thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first three sessions in Muay Thai

(attention: walls of text ahead. I won't blame any of you for not reading.)

Okay, so, here are my first 3 days ever of Muay Thai. I type this down on my phone after training, as suggested by soldiermedic25.

Before i get into it, let me explain my situation with my trainer. I used to go to the gym daily, when one day i ventured upstairs and saw the boxing place right beside the hardwood floor that was for the TKD class (there was a separator).

Some people were stretching on mats on the wood floor, and Kuya (which means older brother, term used for any guy slightly older than you) Arie was standing there. i approached him, and asked him if anyone taught Muay Thai here. He said the only lessons available were kickboxing and boxing and alot of people took em for fitness. I told him that i wanted to fight. He looked slightly shocked, but then he told me to get his number and he'll tell me if something came up.

So i was texting him about it and i was just asking him to teach me a few tricks, when he said "Okay, i'll teach you Muay Thai. But alot of people quit cause i train fighters, not just people who want to lose weight. Pay for boxing downstairs, and i'll sneak up some gloves for you." So, right now, i'm paying for boxing, while he actually teaches me Muay Thai. Also, he sneaks up gloves for me when i would otherwise be renting for a fee everyday. He also promised to help me cross train with the grapplers on the wood floor when i asked about it.

Day one:

I came in here thinking i was gonna do well, since i'm reasonably fit and i do sports.

Funny thing: I wanted to *try* to show off, so i tried to kick the heavy bag as hard i could. Fuck, did it hurt bad.

I saw some boxers with the trainers, and they were hitting pretty hard.. I was chill, but somehow i got pretty shaken. Still, i knew that if i started now, i'd be able to dish out the same punches if i kept at it. I didn't have any wraps today, so punching was out of the question. We entered the ring when there were few people left in the gym. He equipped himself with long, rectangular pads and me, i had my feet and determination. Lmao. He taught me the right stance and asked me if i had taken any martial art before. I told him i took TKD. He just LOL'd. He made me kick my heart out with combos, reps, everything. By the end of the first 3-minute round, i was starting to breathe heavy. 2nd, heavier. 3rd, i was wheezing.

After ring training, he headed me over to the heavy bag and make me kick 10 times with each leg for 3 minutes. After the whole session, i slumped on the outer edge of the wring, dizzy. Dang. I had to drag myself to the bathroom to change. This is gonna be harder than i thought.

Day two:

I came here slightly more confident this time, but expecting to wheeze out like the first time. Surprisingly, i didn't! In fact, i stayed for almost 4 more hours after. Anyway, this is how it went:

I had just bought wraps, so i was ready to punch. In the ring, he equipped the same pads, and i had my feet and some gloves over the wraps he snuck in for me. After he taught me basic punching for the first few rounds, he made me kick too. At one point, the other training was watching and was like, 'That one kicks really hard.' i was fucking ecstatic. And the other trainer, before we got into the ring was like, 'So, do we have a new URCC fighter here, Arie?' boom. My day was made. After a few mixed rounds, much to my delight, he taught me how to knee. Epic. So yeah, rounds, rounds. Then he left me with the bags again, then worked on my abs. I stayed for another four hours after he said we were done. He then taught me a combo that i love now. It's a jab, straight, grab the dudes head, elbow, then knee him in the face. Epic. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Day Three:

I came into the gym ready to kill. I ran barefoot around the gym as a warm up. After the usual warm up, he got me in the ring again with his pads. This time, we didn't only have punches, kicks and knees, we had elbows. So, four 3-minute rounds of that. He made me do punches on the heavy bag for another 3 rounds (gym has it's own timer), kicks, then combos. Then i noticed something. THE HEAVY BAG WAS ACTUALLY SWINGING. OMFGGGGG. The first time i attempted to hit it, it hardly even buckled. Now it was SWINGING. Fuck yeah. That's what i call progress, ladies and gentlemen. My leg would always hurt the first hit, but then it would just become numb to the pain after that and i could keep kicking with almost no problem.

After that, worked on my abs, and that's it. Right now, he's making me use the boxing stance when i first start a fight, only leaning back slightly so i can avoid headkicks. He says this is so opponents won't figure out my discipline right away. After i make the first kick, elbow or knee, i can use my Muay Thai stance.

I'm really happy with my training. I love my trainer. He's a really nice guy, but he's taking me seriously and he's training me to be a real fighter. My body aches all over every single day, but it's the good kind of ache, you know? His line would consist of only one word: ensayo. Which means put up with the hardships, the pain, and work your ass off. I am willing and i will. I'm going again later and i'm excited as hell.

I'd appreciate some feedback and opinions. I don't care if they're harsh.
    Last edited by Rocher; 5/27/2011 7:46pm, .

Well, you sound like you're having fun in Muay Thai. Keep at it for a few months and tell us how it goes.

Train hard and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by yli View Post
      Well, you sound like you're having fun in Muay Thai. Keep at it for a few months and tell us how it goes.

Train hard and have fun.
      I'm really grateful someone actually read through and commented on my thread! Thanks alot. I am having alot of fun and i am looking forward to sparring and man. The talk about the URCC got my blood pumping too. (It's like the UFC here)

I'll post a summarized version of my next few later on. :)

Comment

Take it slow. Just try to make a couple of classes a week, avoid overtraining and injury and remember that your progress will be in fits and starts and will eventually level out for awhile. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
          Take it slow. Just try to make a couple of classes a week, avoid overtraining and injury and remember that your progress will be in fits and starts and will eventually level out for awhile. Enjoy.
          What do you mean in fits and starts?
          Yeah, thanks. I take my classes everyday for about 5-6 days, depending on my weekly schedule. This week, i was only able to take like, three or four days, unfortunately.

Comment

after a few months you'll feel like you're not making any progress...

then suddenly you will have an epiphany and skyrocket up untill...

this repeats itself quite often

Comment

Originally posted by Syphilis View Post

That actually sounds quite satisfying! Thanks for clearing that up. :) He's gonna make me crosstrain when he thinks i'm ready. Some BJJ, i think. Plus at this college i'm going to, i got Judo as an elective since it had the most convenient time slot for me. Sounds like fun, really. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Syphilis View Post

right now I am in the "not making progress" phrase...fml. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Katriona1992 View Post
                  right now I am in the "not making progress" phrase...fml. :(
                  With wut exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocher View Post
                    With wut exactly?
                    judo AND boxing. I know how to fall and some basic moves in judo now along with the most basic punches in boxing but am having trouble with the timing, the little details and such...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X