X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Originally posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Went to redfern last Friday and really didn't like the atmosphere...

It wasn't so much as the gym but the 3 minute walk to the place from the train station at 5:30pm...entire street was staring at me with groups of guys wolf-whistling and some locals snickering as I strolled along...didn't feel too physically safe...
    Which is odd, because Lily would essentially say the same thing about going from her training to home.
    I guess I am spoiled living in a car-culture.
    Found PCYC place close by and its dirt cheap -$9 for a bang or $45 for a month unlimited which gives me access to 25 lessons, 2 hours at a time, for a month. Don't know if its any good though. Went for a trial session and the coach seems alright. Can't tell if he's a good teather though...
    Then go with the $9 per until you decide.

In general, is boxing at community centres considered okay?
    as an entry level, it will be fine. If you progress and wish to compete regularly, and are any good, you may look elsewhere.
    Otherwise, it will be as good as you make it.

Leave a comment:

• Katriona1992
    replied
    Went to redfern last Friday and really didn't like the atmosphere...

It wasn't so much as the gym but the 3 minute walk to the place from the train station at 5:30pm...entire street was staring at me with groups of guys wolf-whistling and some locals snickering as I strolled along...didn't feel too physically safe...

Found PCYC place close by and its dirt cheap -$9 for a bang or $45 for a month unlimited which gives me access to 25 lessons, 2 hours at a time, for a month. Don't know if its any good though. Went for a trial session and the coach seems alright. Can't tell if he's a good teather though...

In general, is boxing at community centres considered okay?

Leave a comment:

• Katriona1992
    replied
    Originally posted by Lily View Post
    Kat - sorry it's taken me this long to get to the thread.

Have you made a decision? My advice is don't fear, don't worry. Your education comes first and pick the club you're happiest at weighed with costs/travel time and give it a go. Main thing is talk to both your instructors and explain your situation and why you're staying/going.

I dropped by for a couple of classes at Zenbu dojo a few years back. Awesome vibe, world class Judoka and just a nice, dedicated bunch of people.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions or want to chat. I stopped all MA 18 months ago but might still be able to help :)

Best of luck!
    I think I may be dropping by the Redfern gym and changing to that as it is closer and the training looks just as legit. Goanna miss Birchell though...he is one heck of an instructor

If you don't mind, why did you drop martial arts? There are few female judokas (I am one of the only three or four at Zenbu as opposed to the dozens of males) and its always great to see someone like me in a combat sport such as that...

Leave a comment:

• Lily
    replied
    Kat - sorry it's taken me this long to get to the thread.

Have you made a decision? My advice is don't fear, don't worry. Your education comes first and pick the club you're happiest at weighed with costs/travel time and give it a go. Main thing is talk to both your instructors and explain your situation and why you're staying/going.

I dropped by for a couple of classes at Zenbu dojo a few years back. Awesome vibe, world class Judoka and just a nice, dedicated bunch of people.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions or want to chat. I stopped all MA 18 months ago but might still be able to help :)

Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• Katriona1992
    replied
    Thats an option too...since it'll only take half an hour or so :)

Leave a comment:

• yli
    replied
    Maybe try walking in one day? Sometimes gyms lack administrative staff and will take forever getting back to you.

Leave a comment:

• Katriona1992
    replied
    Originally posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    I know that....but does the Council OR Police know? Tried phoning them last night to no avail.
    them as in the boxing gym....not the police *opps*

Leave a comment:

• Katriona1992
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    not wanting to generalize, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a suspected criminal in many old school gyms.

that doesn't negate the quality of training.

I know that....but does the Council OR Police know? Tried phoning them last night to no avail.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    not wanting to generalize, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a suspected criminal in many old school gyms.

that doesn't negate the quality of training.

Leave a comment:

• Katriona1992
    replied
    Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Anthony Mundine?

He's a famous Australian Boxer.
    I know..thing is there has been news about his place training suspected criniminals or something (NOT trying to defame him or anything...just saying') and the council have renovated the area into something else...
    Last edited by Katriona1992; 5/24/2011 3:16am, . Reason: spelling mistakes

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    Anthony Mundine?

He's a famous Australian Boxer.

Leave a comment:

• Katriona1992
    replied
    I've just got a message from one of my friends recommending a gym in Redfern (10 minutes away from where I live) that has really really good training offered at next to none pricing. However, its also rumoured to be closed own by my other buddies.

Has anyone heard of the Tony Mundine's Gym?

Leave a comment:

• Cullion
    replied
    Katriona it depends whether and how much you'd like to compete.

If you would like to compete at a serious level, I think Boxing is less forgiving about going back when you're older. In the UK the main sanctioning body for amateurs won't even let you fight past the age of 34.

So if you want to compete as a boxer, make the most of your youth.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Fluffers
    replied
    No trolling intended here, just cutting up a little. Didn't mean any harm by it. I stand by my advice though, for what it's worth - stick with the judo.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    Fluffers you must be on your fifth drink already. Remember the rules of newbietown!

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X