No announcement yet.

Thinking of quitting one...WHICH ONE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quit both and start doing Systema. It's better for someone with your build.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Jude View Post
      quit both and start doing Systema. It's better for someone with your build.
      Its alot more expensive than the two options and...doesn't it have a bad rep here or something?

Comment

Jim_Jude is trolling, he doesn't really believe that.

Stick with boxing, 4 days workout to 1 with half the cost is easily the better option.
        "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
        Kenny Weldon

Comment

I'd stick with judo. I'm a pretty small guy and I've had a lot better luck throwing bigger guys than I have punching them. Also, judo is a lot easier on the face and that is kind of important to some men and most women.

Comment

It takes a very long time to reach even a basic level of proficiency in Judo only practicing once a week.

However, which one do you enjoy more, because that's critical no point dropping boxing and then realising a few months later you're not really passionate about Judo or vice versa.

If dropping boxing doesn't allow you to train Judo at least twice a week and you don't enjoy Judo more than boxing than I would say drop the Judo.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katriona1992 View Post
              Its alot more expensive than the two options and...doesn't it have a bad rep here or something?
              I was just teasing ^_^

I agree with the consensus. Stick with Judo!
              "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
              ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
              ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
              ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Comment

The advice given here is almost a 50/50 split.
                I'd agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't trade 4 days of training for 1 day, but it really comes down to what you personally enjoy.

Typical martial artist time spent training in lifetime, let's say 30-40 years. time spent actually needing martial arts skills outside of martial arts? I'm guessing this figure is much, much lower, probably by an order of magnitude.

This being said, judo probably gives you more useful LIFE skills than boxing strictly with regard to how to fall safely.
                video game reviews

Comment

Well you have definitely got yourself involved into two really solid arts, the question is which one do you enjoy the most?
                  Basically, the strikers on this site are going to advise you towards boxing and the grapplers are going to advise you towards Judo.
                  If you are using this to maintain your physical fitness, then I too would advise you to keep on boxing simply because you can box 3 days a week whereas you can only practice Judo 1 day.

Comment

Have you thought about it from this angle: once you finish school (3.5 years from now?) and have more free time...what then?

If you love both equally, stick with the one that works best with your school schedule (since that is priority #1), and then pick the other back up again after school is done.

Which would be harder for you to re-acquire? My noobish opinion is that Judo would be much harder to pick up than boxing after your studies. So keep doing Judo (that's what I did throughout school) and when you've graduated, your Judo will be strong and you can pick up where you left off with boxing.
                    '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      The advice given here is almost a 50/50 split.
                      Lol no it isn't. I counted 8 for Judo, 2 for boxing and 2 more that were (maybe?) boxing.
                      HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
                      https://www.fitocracy.com/group/2988/

Comment

Originally posted by money View Post
                        Lol no it isn't. I counted 8 for Judo, 2 for boxing and 2 more that were (maybe?) boxing.
                        Mehhhhh...I shouldl have added in a poll :/

Comment

You've already gotten many great responses from people who are likely far more qualified than I to advise you. A few thoughts did occur to me, however, so here goes ... Do you feel like the instruction you receive at one of the two facilities is clearly of a higher quality than what you're getting at the other? Technical proficiency of the respective cadre, level of individual attention available at each facility, and how well the type of instruction offered meshes with your personal learning style might be factors to consider. Another consideration which may be of great importance is the question of which discipline you truly enjoy more. Having just gone through a semester of demanding grad school work on top of a full time job myself, I found the "fun" factor to be critical in maintaining a high level of motivation and consistency in training and recreational endeavors. When your free time is at a premium and you're tired at the end of a busy day, that little bit of extra enthusiasm you feel for your preferred art might just play a pivotal role in making the choice to hop in your car and head off to training.

In that same vein, boxing may have a slight advantage simply because you get three "bites at the apple" each week as opposed to one. If academic and other responsibilities rear their heads and foil your training plans on one particular night, you could simply go to two out of three boxing sessions that week rather than being forced to go a full two weeks between judo workouts.

Best of luck with whatever option you choose! Boxing and judo are both awesome and, as others have already said, you really can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by money View Post
                            When you remove the people who didn't read the OP it's rather even.
                            "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
                            Kenny Weldon

Comment

For the record, these are the clubs I currently attend: http://www.zenbu.com.au/ and http://www.toetotoe.com.au/

I switched from USyd boxing because of classes clashing :(

Comment

If anyone has any lessons starting after 3:30pm and finishing before 6pm near that area on weekdays, please tell me ^^ I might be able to make a change of schools since I'm not in any contracts (I pay monthly fees)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X