The new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new guy

Its my first time on the site and i'm looking for help with my training regimine. I want to have my first kickboxing bout in a few months and need to get serious with my conditioning. I attended the Rumble in the Valley in Wisconsin this weekend and it got me all the more pumped to get in there! Any input on some hard core training would be greatly appreciated.

First, welcome to Bullshido! I hope you enjoy your time here.

Now, on to business.
    Step 1. Find yourself a kickboxing gym of some kind if you haven't already.
    Step 2. Ask your coach what you should be doing to prepare for a KB match.
    Step 3. Do those things.

Your coach will have a lot better idea of what you need to work on than we do here, so his advice will be more accurate than ours will be.

Comment

Kin has the correct, regarding specific skill training.

However if you're focused on cardio I highly recommend Bas Rutten's workout CD's.
      They are great and can't do you any harm. The 28 Min All Around Workout is a personal favorite.

Comment

Thank you for replying, yeah I have a great gym that I train at! The head instructor is an amazing trainer and has trained a fare share of champion kickboxers. I get to spar with a group of great fighters including some champs. I'm just always looking for new conditioning routines and training insight. I am open minded when it comes to training and fighting, always looking for new ideas.

Comment

By the way, for general fitness, check out CrossFit. Even if you don't join a gym, they post workouts online and you can do most of them with basic equipment. I have all I need for a CrossFit workout in my garage, and I can play whatever music I want as loud as I want. That's how I like to work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledge View Post
            Its my first time on the site and i'm looking for help with my training regimine. I want to have my first kickboxing bout in a few months and need to get serious with my conditioning. I attended the Rumble in the Valley in Wisconsin this weekend and it got me all the more pumped to get in there! Any input on some hard core training would be greatly appreciated.
            LOL okay, let's start with the basics.
            How long are the rounds?
            How big of a pussy are you?
            How badly do you suck?
            Video bitch.

Comment

rounds are 2 minutes, fight will be three rounds, not a pussy, I can take and deliver alot of punishment, I dont suck, have trained in kung fu, muay thai, jui jitsu, tae kwon do, chung mu kwon, but just started training again after about a 10 year break, lost my flexability but i am an active person and have a physical job, just trying to regain my form.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledge View Post
                rounds are 2 minutes, fight will be three rounds, not a pussy, I can take and deliver alot of punishment, I dont suck, have trained in kung fu, muay thai, jui jitsu, tae kwon do, chung mu kwon, but just started training again after about a 10 year break, lost my flexability but i am an active person and have a physical job, just trying to regain my form.
                First of all everybody sucks and the simple fact you're denying it tells me a lot.

So your conditioning should be 3 x 1/4 mile sprints at 1 minute per lap.
                If you have good training partners you may want to switch up your sparring to 45 second interval ironman rounds.
                Add plyometrics 2x a week.
                You want to do a 6 week peak cycle and make sure you're training is cycled around your bout time.
                After you manage to plateau with the 3x 1/4 runs (which should peak by the third week) you should try doing interval runs with (15,5,10,5,15,5,5 x2 laps) 1 minute break x3.
                Replicate this with a bag routine juxtaposing kicks and punches.

There you go. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

laughs ok i suck! But, I am driven! Thank you for the advice, not sure what you meant with the interval running. (15,5,10,5,15,5,5 x2 laps)? sorry for my ignorance. Also whats your take on weightlifting for a fighter? is it good, or can it hinder your fighting ability? To be honest i'm 32 yrs old and know that i've only got so many years left to compete so i wanna come in primed to the max and have a fighting career while i still can.

Comment

LOL...32...you're young. 15 second sprint....5 second jog....10 second sprint...5 second jog....(good enough or do you need more explanation?)

As for weight lifting keep it dynamic with a plyometric emphasis.

Comment

Originally posted by tao.jonez View Post
                      By the way, for general fitness, check out CrossFit. Even if you don't join a gym, they post workouts online and you can do most of them with basic equipment. I have all I need for a CrossFit workout in my garage, and I can play whatever music I want as loud as I want. That's how I like to work out.
                      This advice I strongly disagree with. CrossFit is like the Starbucks of physical training. There's one on every corner, and it's never worth what you pay (in this case, it's worth nothing). CrossFit "athletes" are, as a rule, skinny, weak, and pretty feminine.

There's an old Hungarian proverb (I'm quoting Charles Poliquin at this point): "If a man has only one ass, he cannot sit on two horses." If you train for everything, you get nothing. No athlete has ever gotten good training like that.

If you want to compete in a kickboxing competition, focus specifically on the things you need to improve for that precise goal. Don't try to sit on two horses.
                      Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                      "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Originally posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
                        This advice I strongly disagree with. CrossFit is like the Starbucks of physical training. There's one on every corner, and it's never worth what you pay (in this case, it's worth nothing). CrossFit "athletes" are, as a rule, skinny, weak, and pretty feminine.

There's an old Hungarian proverb (I'm quoting Charles Poliquin at this point): "If a man has only one ass, he cannot sit on two horses." If you train for everything, you get nothing. No athlete has ever gotten good training like that.

If you want to compete in a kickboxing competition, focus specifically on the things you need to improve for that precise goal. Don't try to sit on two horses.
                        Like I said, for general fitness CrossFit type workouts are useful. I don't like CrossFit as a substitute for sport specific training, don't get me wrong. I like it for having a broad fitness base which I think is appropriate for many MA's.

I do some workouts based on CrossFit methods - I focus on explosiveness/plyometrics done at a high pace using simple exercises. e.g. I have a few 5 minute circuit workouts that are useful. Box Jumps, pullups, pushups, crunches, weighted punches, rest 1 min, repeat.

If your trainer is worth a shit they'll modify workouts to your needs. The local Crossfit is good - owner has his BS in sports management & fitness, NASM certified, (maybe ACE, too) and actually works with you, doesn't just post the WOD and cheer for you. I've heard not all the gyms are decent, but I like this one. Plus owner is a friend, so I can use his stuff for free.

Comment

Got it, thank you! Yeah I know that alot of kickboxers fight into their 40's so i've got some years left. I feel like a dumbass asking but what do you mean by dynamic weightlifting? I've heard great things about plyometrics and definately going to incorporate it. Do you recommend using high weight low reps, or different?

Comment

Dynamic weight lifting: Low weight high reps all mimicking muscles you'll be using in fights. Remember you want muscle conditioning over strength. Big muscles mean more blood and faster fatigue. I've fought Middleweight, super middle, light heavy, Cruiser and heavyweight (For all you MMA newbs these are kickboxing weight classes). I personally have always fought natural and never really dropped weight. Speed and stamina is what you need, I doubt if I'd ever have a striking coach disagree with me on this.

Comment

Thanks again! I am at about 200lbs now but will probly fight at 185 to 190. I started using your running advice and am already getting results in stamina and speed. I was thinking about adding some uphill sprints as well? What style of kung fu do you use/train in? I trained with a northern shaolin when i was in high school and really like kung fu.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X