No announcement yet.

Aikido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No..we are a tkd and kenpo school with a little mma mixed in. I still actively train tkd and have been for about the last 5 years. The main reason I was looking at the aikido option is that pretty much all that is offered around here anymore is tkd or karate. I trained in karate for about a year when I was younger ( I'm 38 now) and it was ok....but just seemed a little too rigid for me. Our style of tkd (blue cottage) suits me fine, but our instructor is transitioning to all kenpo. I trained shaolin kung fu for about two years when I was at a different school as well and enjoyed it a lot but it's no longer open. The kenpo that we are getting into is ok, but I'm just not that excited with it somehow, so I've been looking around a bit just to see what was out there. This aikido school is relatively new and I've had a couple phone conversations with the instructor and he seems to be ok. I watched a clip of one of their tests there and wasn't all that impressed though. Way too "mellow" for lack of a better word, but it was a low level test and was hoping it would improve as you progressed up the ladder. I still think it might be ok to try out, but I don't know any aikido people personally and it's hard to get an accurate assesment of it without talking to someone with experience in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Guess View Post
      You would be better off trying to find a Judo club.
      Aye, I agree.

Akido,in my opinion, is taught with "its too d3adly to spar with" attitude far too often. Just for a fun contrast- I arrived ten minutes early for my judo class today so I got to watch the akido class myself (no affliction with their club, we merely share the same premises).

Not meaning to be rude, but the Akido guys just SAT there mediating for the last ten minutes...in fact, one of the participants got so cold (its winter here in Aussie land) that he had a shrawl over his neck during the process. In comparison, the last ten minutes of my judo lesson was invovled in heavy randori where I got my feet repeatly sweeped under me. I was sweating so much that I could see little droplets falling from my hair.

Even if I the level of techniques taught were equally useful, most judokas would have the upperhand simply for being more fit and able to practice in a more alive manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendergast View Post
        No..we are a tkd and kenpo school with a little mma mixed in.
        I'm afraid I have no idea what this even means.
        video game reviews

Comment

You also said you train at a full contact school. Does that mean you compete in full contact tournaments or something else?

Comment

I went to an aikido school in high school... It's been a while, but I remember that all of those on-the-fly wristlocks are impossibly hard to catch in a live-action situation. The way we drilled them was always with painfully slow overhanded punches, so not terribly realistic.

The general movements, though, seem pretty useful, and I have definitely used them in sparring situations, but without the joint locks. The irimi nage in aikido gave me a little perspective on osoto gari when I started doing judo. So conceptually, yes it is useful. It's just not useful in a literal sense.

I'd say just stick to judo.

Comment

One of the big things to remember is that in any full contact sport it's easy to find out whether the instructors are knowledgeable, just figure out what their records are and what achievements they have. This is a lot harder to do with TMA like Aikido because IIRC they don't have full contact competition that makes at least some attempt at replicating real world situations. If you have a legitimately good Aikido instructor it might be useful, but I seriously doubt you're going to get that at some random school in the US.

Comment

We also do gun and knife defense, multiple attacker scenarios, grappling and some basic mma. My instructor holds black belts in kenpo and tkd and has also trained quite a bit in krav maga as well.
                The above jumped out at me.

Are you positive your instructor knows what he's doing with regards to that?

Comment

Yli...I would have to say yes to that. I'm no krav expert, but from what I have seen and heard he's pretty good. We have some police officers that train with us occasionally and they seem to agree with what he's doing when it comes to gun and knife.

Comment

Ok. Where do you train again? Got a website?

Comment

Colin..that means that the school I train at offers both kenpo and tkd classes. Our instructor has always been pretty much a kenpo guy but thought that he would get more students through tkd.(He's a 3rd degree in tkd also). He is in the process of transitioning to all kenpo, but the students currently in tkd are able to follow through to black belt. Any new students start out in kenpo. We used to have an mma class on saturdays as well. A friend of his is a really good bjj guy and used to come in and teach but is no longer able to. Our teacher does some basic bjj with us guys in black belt class occasionally. I guess the way I described it in my earlier post was a little vague. Sorry..still a newbie here.

Comment

What's your school's website, where do you train? I want to check if your instructor's credentials in Krav Maga are legitimate or not.

Comment

Colin.. We used to have an mma class on saturdays as well. A friend of his is a really good bjj guy and used to come in and teach but is no longer able to. .
                          Thanks for expanding a little, I wonder if you could expand into some more detail about these classes.
                          video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I'm afraid I have no idea what this even means.
                            neither do I. Pendergast, MMA= mixed martial arts = when you do MORE than one martial art...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X