Aikido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aikido

I have found an opportunity to take a few Aikido lessons at a new school which has recently opened in my area. I am a long time TKD student but have always wanted to try some Aikido. The TKD system I'm involved with implements a lot of locks, throws, and take downs but doesn't have the smooth redirection that is associated with Aikido. Just wondering if anyone who has experience with it has any comments either for or against.

You would be better off trying to find a Judo club.

Comment

Go with judo man. Much more practical. Fun too. And when you do Judo and not Akido you'l find you get flamed alot less on internet martial arts forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendergast View Post
        I have found an opportunity to take a few Aikido lessons at a new school which has recently opened in my area. I am a long time TKD student but have always wanted to try some Aikido. The TKD system I'm involved with implements a lot of locks, throws, and take downs but doesn't have the smooth redirection that is associated with Aikido. Just wondering if anyone who has experience with it has any comments either for or against.
        FOR: You like Aikido? Train it! I found it fun, those wristlocks and throws *may* be useful some of them, and I have to be honest, I only took my kyu exams to reach the hakama hahah didn't care about the grade, just learning and wanted to have that cool cloth.

AGAINST: don't get brainwashed by spiritual shits and all of that. Also I think that if you find something street effective (well something that an average of the ppl that train it can defend theirselves in a random violent situacion) I would pick another training like... emm MMA, Boxing, KickBoxing and that stuff.

Have fun ^^

Comment

For:

Against:
          video game reviews

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido! Judo is the closest thing to Aikido but unlike Aikido, Judo is proven to work against a fully resisting opponent. Aikido generally fails in this department. If you read up on the history of Aikido, you'll find out about a tournament that was held in Japan soon after its founding with Aikidoka vs Judoka and Judo won out decisively.

If you can't find Judo in your area, BJJ and Sambo are also worth learning.

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome!
              I practice Aikido, nevertheless i would suggest you take Judo instead of it, statistically is WAY easier to find a good Judo school than an Aikido one.

Comment

Welcome!
                I practice Aikido, nevertheless i would suggest you take Judo instead of it, statistically is WAY easier to find a good Judo school than an Aikido one.

Comment

Around here the TMA are not looked upon favorably with good reason. This site heavily preaches aliveness training against a resisting opponent. If your not sparring, submitting, throwing or striking your opponent then something is very wrong in what system your training in.

If I could find a Judo/Sambo school that was convenient for my situation I would be all over that.

Comment

So, to condense what everyone is saying, we prefer arts that spar in an "Alive" fashion over those that train in a compliant manner.

Therefore we prefer Judo, Sambo and wrestling over Aikido generally. However, if you can't find any Judo near you, try the Aikido. It at least usually teaches better than average ukemi skills.
                    Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

The "smooth redirection" Aikido people talk about seems to be misleading to me. Plenty of arts use blending and redirection of force to overcome the opponent. Aikido guys are the only ones I know that act like it is something new or mystical.

Everyone else has given plenty of good advice, I'll have to ask a few questions so we can give you advice you will actually use.

Is the Aikido offered at the place you already train TKD? Are you still training TKD and looking to add another art to your skillset? Are your options Aikido or nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by No.1_Son View Post
                        If you read up on the history of Aikido, you'll find out about a tournament that was held in Japan soon after its founding with Aikidoka vs Judoka and Judo won out decisively.
                        Meh, you'll also find a story of and Aikido guy (Tohei) beating like 5 Judo dan Grades at once. Also, most of the people doing Aikido in it's early days were judo people. TBH, this many decades on, we are lucky not to find Tripitaka featuring in these stories fighting dragons.

Unless these are the people in the stories are the same people who are at the clubs you have available, I'd trust to that less than actual visiting and trying it.

That said...

Originally posted by Evilenzo View Post
                        Evilenzo has teh correct!

Although you could always try both. Many people find them complimentary. Also, many of the criticisms of Aikido also apply to the TKD you are already doing. If you still enjoy that... fuck it, you'll probably enjoy Aikido too.
                        sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                        "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Wow..Sounds like Aikido isn't looked upon very favorably here. But, honest replies are what I was looking for in that I don't want to waste time and money on something that isn't worth it. Thanks for the input.We are pretty much a full contact school. We also do gun and knife defense, multiple attacker scenarios, grappling and some basic mma. My instructor holds black belts in kenpo and tkd and has also trained quite a bit in krav maga as well. We tend to get a good mix of all. He tried a regular mma class but as soon as the guys got a couple bloody noses they pussed out and quit. We do have "mma days" in our black belt class though. There are absolutely NO judo schools anywhere near me unfortunately. Just thought the aikido might be something else to incorporate into the mix.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately the issue with Aikido is the problem with most martial arts schools. They don't actually apply what they train, so shoddy unproven technique becomes the core of what you are learning, and you never really realize that it's garbage until a) you train somewhere decent or b) you learn firsthand how it doesn't work in a way you wish you hadn't :(

A lot of people on this site have been there in one way or another.
                            Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                            ...Willing is not enough you must do
                            ~Bruce Lee

Comment

We do have "mma days" in our black belt class though.
                              Sorted then. Try the Aikido. If you enjoy it, test it out at your MMA days. problem solved.
                              sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                              "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X