Clear All

American not colonial.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...f_the_Americas
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
        Of course, but I'm trying to point that even an opponent seriously injured can be still a threat. IMO one must not assume a fight is finished because the opponent is injured. A fight ends when the opponent is not able to continue fighting.
        yeah, for sure.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War
          Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcolonialism

We've still got colonies, in your minds...

:itsnotokay:
            sigpic

Comment

Frank Mir did a pretty good number on Tim Sylvia's arm. And I'm positive I've seen someone in the early UFCs destroy a knee with a heel hook (Oleg Taktarkov maybe?)

On the subject of "irregardless":
              I agree with ye Englishe gentleman, allowing ye lanfuafe to undergo ye change only makef it a miscegenated mongrel, fit for naught but ye rubbish pifle.

Comment

If your arm is broken, you may not stop fighting, but it's going to be very difficult to defend a choke which, as we all know, will make you stop fighting.
                Originally posted by Sarcastro
                He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Comment

As far as real breaking goes (as in bones not snapping ligaments or dislocating joints) its actually pretty hard to break most of the bones in the human body, not impossible but definitely difficult. The face has some good breakable bits but those are not a guarantee to win in the ring, or streets for that matter. Two points I can think of would be the collar bone and the floating ribs. The floating ribs will supposedly break at about 15psi if hit at roughly a 45 degree angle, I cannot varify this from personal experience but I've seen enough cracked and broken ribs to say its plausible. The collar bone is another potentially vulnerable spot. A well placed elbow or possibly forearm can bust one pretty good. Once that happens that particular arm isn't very good for fighting, this I have seen first hand.

I cannot think of any specific rules that would stop you from doing these things in an MMA bout but I would think such behavior would be frowned upon.

As for "joint breaking" well thats a mixed bag as far as feasibility goes. A lot of people get them wrong be thinking you can get ahold of an arm in mid punch and just snap it. With a cooperating partner its possible to create that illusion but against an opponent its a 1 in a million shot.

It is however possible to make use of some of these breaks when in a clinch or standing grapple position. It is still difficult thou. The only way to bust a joint is to isolate it or move it outside its normal range of motion faster than the rest of the body can follow. I again cannot think of a specific rule that would forbid such actions except for prohibitions against unsportsman like conduct.

Lastly to clarify why I would think such tactics would make finding matches difficult its because while yes most MMA fighters are more than willing to risk a knockout most are not going to want to risk an injury that can keep them from fighting and even training for 3-6 months or more. A knockout keeps you out of the game for maybe a week. Bust a joint or break a bone? Thats months of rehab and is not something most fighters want to risk if they are trying to build a career in MMA. Its a risk yes but if they are told they have to face someone who routinely does such things most would be hesitant to want to risk an injury that could stall or even end their careers, there would be people who take those fights but your not likely going to go far with such behavior. Of course thats all speculation. I cannot think of many fighters who would want to have a label like "chronic limb breaker".

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                    'Irregardless' is not a fucking word. It's 'regardless' or 'irrespective' there is no need to prefix regardless with 'ir' or create a portmanteau, when two perfectly good words already exist to express this notion.

Seriously, where has this stupid non-word come from?
                    The same hell from which we acquired "guesstimate".
                    Originally posted by Devil
                    That's the most Krav thing I've ever read. That's Kravver than a motherfucker...

Comment

Another thing that sticks in my craw is the misuse of 'momentarily'. People saying, 'I'll be with you momentarily' when they mean 'I'll be with you in a moment'.

Also the incorrect usage of 'fewer' and 'less'. Fewer for number, less for quantity, i.e 'There were ten thousand fewer entrants' and ' I have less hair now than I used too'.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HereBeADragon View Post
                        . Of course thats all speculation. I cannot think of many fighters who would want to have a label like "chronic limb breaker".
                        After all, look how many guys from striking backgrounds have seen their careers go down the toilet after acquiring a label like "knock out artist", "one hitter quitter", "Axe Murderer", "Rampage", or "Mr. Sandman".

Comment

I'm not talking nick names. I mean a negative reputation. Its not a career ender but if your known for trying to break your opponents limbs than a lot less people are going to wanna risk an injury that can keep them benched for months.

Comment

Originally posted by HereBeADragon View Post
                            I'm not talking nick names. I mean a negative reputation. Its not a career ender but if your known for trying to break your opponents limbs than a lot less people are going to wanna risk an injury that can keep them benched for months.
                            Quite a few careers have been shortened/ended by being in the ring with Fedor Emmelanko and Wanderlei Silva (Sakuraba, Heath Herring, and Antonio Nogueira come to mind.) But there was never a shortage of guys willing to take them on. Being faces is okay, breaking arms and legs isn't?

Comment

I'd much rather someone break my arm than my leg or my face.
                              sigpic

Comment

This is America. Stick to your tea and crumpets and what not. England is like our little brother, dude got his ass kicked years ago and now knows whos the boss.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X