Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Brain Damage Safe Stand-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Damage Safe Stand-up

What would be the safest(avoiding brain trauma) and most effective way of stand-up training for the long run?

MT w/o sparring?
    No-head contact sparring MA?

You sir are a pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega View Post
      You sir are a pussy.
      ShouBox: I want to avoid things hitting my head.
      Omega: "You sir are a pussy"

(implicit meaning)
      ShouBox: I want to avoid major impacts to the head because it'll probably decrease my short term memory functions and effect my pituitary gland negatively. And so, these factors would also negatively effect my social(personality traits are effected by brain trauma), academic life(short term memory often reflects academic success). And in terms, cause me to be less happy in the long run.

Omega: You're inferior to people that follow the "non-pussy" norms of the group. And, you're acting outside of the group norms and shows traits of what we call "pussy". So, it would be a good idea to show my superiority over you so I can gain self-esteem from group acceptance. My actions are driven by conformity which is a concept taught in 1st year psych.
      Last edited by ShouBox; 4/18/2011 10:39pm, .

Comment

If I'd hazard a guess I'd say Kyokushin since you'll only get kicked in the head. But if you're avoiding brain damage at all costs you could just go with Wing Chun, I'm pretty sure no one has been sent to the hospital after a slapping match between two limp-wrists on meth.

Comment

Head trauma in sparring is only an issue if you have some sort of medical condition. As a normal healthy adult, you're not going to develop brain issues unless you are subjected to multiple concussions in rapid succession. This occasionally happens to professional boxers (and, if I'm not mistaken, sometimes football players), but that's about it. Even pro MMA guys have very low rates of head trauma, and none of the retirees of the sport have developed any Mohammed Ali-like mental tics.
          So yeah, don't worry. Period sparring is not going to hurt you.
          Also, Omega's subtle sense of humor requires some time to get the hang of.
          The fool thinks himself immortal,
          If he hold back from battle;
          But old age will grant him no truce,
          Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShouBox View Post
            ShouBox: I want to avoid things hitting my head.
            Omega: "You sir are a pussy"

(implicit meaning)
            ShouBox: I want to avoid major impacts to the head because it'll probably decrease my short term memory functions and effect my pituitary gland negatively. And so, these factors would also negatively effect my social(personality traits are effected by brain trauma), academic life(short term memory often reflects academic success). And in terms, cause me to be less happy in the long run.

Omega: You're inferior to people that follow the "non-pussy" norms of the group. And, you're acting outside of the group norms and shows traits of what we call "pussy". So, it would be a good idea to show my superiority over you so I can gain self-esteem from group acceptance. My actions are driven by conformity which is a concept taught in 1st year psych.
            No it means you should be taking knitting because you're too much of a wuss to actually take part in an activity where contact is implied. You are the reason why there Canadians of the world are thought of as a bunch of faggots.

BTW 1st year of psychology goes into schools of thought and history. Try to pretend that you have brain cells if you plan on trying to save them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
              Head trauma in sparring is only an issue if you have some sort of medical condition. As a normal healthy adult, you're not going to develop brain issues unless you are subjected to multiple concussions in rapid succession. This occasionally happens to professional boxers (and, if I'm not mistaken, sometimes football players), but that's about it. Even pro MMA guys have very low rates of head trauma, and none of the retirees of the sport have developed any Mohammed Ali-like mental tics.
              So yeah, don't worry. Period sparring is not going to hurt you.
              Also, Omega's subtle sense of humor requires some time to get the hang of.
              No humor I actually think the guy's a pussy.

Comment

I was also going to add something about how if he's concerned for his academic career, he should probably stop taking psych classes.
                Then I remembered how I spent my own undergraduate studying medieval Chinese literature, and decided to remain silent on the issue.
                The fool thinks himself immortal,
                If he hold back from battle;
                But old age will grant him no truce,
                Even if spears spare him.

Comment

What would be the safest(avoiding brain trauma) and most effective way of stand-up training for the long run?

MT w/o sparring?
                  Moderate sparring doesn't cause brain damage. I think sparring should be done hard on occasion, but most of the time moderate is good enough.

The guy who called you a pussy is an administrator on this site, so good luck with that.

MT w/o sparring is like decaf coffee, non-alcoholic beer, or Family Matters without Urkel.

Comment

I have a Bsc in psychology. Kinda wish someone just punched me in the face instead.

no seriously. OP should just take the beating, psych gives you fuckall, but it does get you laid. The tradeoff is that psych chicks are self-obsessed and fucked up, and not in that fun way.
                    Last edited by 100xobm; 4/18/2011 11:33pm, .
                    Originally posted by Judoka_UK
                    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Comment

MT w/o sparring?
                      Gloves + headgear + common sense = ?

Comment

All that talk of brain damage is bullshit. Getting hit in the head doesn't fuck you up. All those punch-drunk boxers you see were genetically susceptible to mental diseases in the first place and they're just idiots on top of that. You seem like a smart fellow, getting punched in the head repeatedly won't be harmful to you at all. I recommend you do it often.
                        Originally posted by Matt Phillips
                        Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Comment

Amateur boxing is relatively safe as far as contact sports go. Yes it is possible you could get a concussion if you decide to compete or spar all-out with a hard puncher who completely drills you with a Cross or a Hook that you let land dead-on. But you don't need to compete and you don't need to spar completely all-out if you don't want to. Anyway, if you are unlucky enough to get a concussion then you don't spar again untill it's fully healed and you aren't going to have any issues.

By the way, if you ever played high school football, in my opinion getting punched in boxing with 16oz gloves is pretty much nothing compared to the impact of taking on a fullback's block, tackling a huge tight end, getting blown up by a safety on the sideline when you're running the ball, etc.

Comment

MT w/o sparring?
                            What exactly do you want out of a martial art? If you want to learn stand-up, which implies striking, you will get hit.

Since you're in school and have access to the internet, do some research. Brain trauma like you describe is low-incident amongst amateur boxers, kickboxers, etc.

Keep your hands up and your chin down, and don't spar hard until you know what you're doing. You'll be just fine. Or you can do nothing and continue down the road of pussy-dom.

Good luck
                            "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If getting hit regularly caused brain damage, it would be silly to ask a forum of such people anything.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X