How so little can mean so much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How so little can mean so much

I ordered a new belt last week, a cheap one. Purely because I wanted a spare to live in my bag in case I forgot my belt or needed to loan one to someone.

What was remarkable about this purchase?

Ostensibly nothing, but as I was holding it in my hands I realised just how much I would have given to be the rightful owner of one of these only a year or two ago. And how much it means to the hundreds of thousands if not millions of kyu grade Judoka diligently practicing across the globe.

My purchase? A Judo black belt.

It means so much to us on the way up, through the kyu grades. Once we’re there it means so much less, but simultaneously so much more. As those of us who don it suddenly realise the responsibility placed upon not only in terms of expectation of physical ability, but also wider expectations from ordinary people. And it’s only a few months or a year into the ranks of the dan grades, that we realise how little we know and how much we have to learn. I’m sure this is true for those who achieve black belts in BJJ, Kyokushin and other martial arts.

There isn’t really any point to this, but if anyone takes anything away from this it is that the responsibilities that are placed on you as a black belt and the insignificance of the kyu grades once viewed from the comfortable lofty heights of the Yudanshakai need to be put into perspective.

However, to those yet to be admitted to the Yudanshakai, those kyu grades are vitally important and rightly so. So if you’re working your way up through the ranks, then keep on going, because you can do it. You can get that black belt if you want to all it takes is hard work and dedicaton.

Just be aware, once you get there it’s something of a poison chalice.
    sigpic

Seeing as you're the only judoka blackbelt I know bar the senior grades in my club and I don't hve interweb access to them I way as well ask.... Purely out of interest once you've achieved a dan grade do you have to retake every couple of years to keep the belt or is it 'for life'?.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Once you have a dan grade from a proper Judo org you have it for life. One of the guys who was on my promotion committee for my dan grade had been a 1st dan for about 30 years and I know guys who were Olympic alternates who have been 3rd dans for 30 years.

I even know one guy, who still technically isn't a dan grade and is still officially a 1st kyu despite having dominated the national champs for years and won a European bronze medal and who despite retiring still wears a black belt, lol.
      sigpic

Comment

Gangsta Blackbelt for life yo :yaoming:
        go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Comment

Do you think even I can have a black belt some day?

Comment

So do you thinks it's just his personal choice not to carry on?

Not that it really matters, Judo is the first style I've ever taken which has a proper grading system so it's a mindset that's new to me and I'm trying to adjust to it or atleast get some understanding of it. It's actually refreshing to see a kind of 'ladder' in a style I'm
            partaking in.

EDIT: Woah, woah, hold up. I'm not 'can Eye haz teh blakk belt' hunting. It's just new to me.
            Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
              I ordered a new belt last week, a cheap one. Purely because I wanted a spare to live in my bag in case I forgot my belt or needed to loan one to someone.

What was remarkable about this purchase?

Ostensibly nothing, but as I was holding it in my hands I realised just how much I would have given to be the rightful owner of one of these only a year or two ago. And how much it means to the hundreds of thousands if not millions of kyu grade Judoka diligently practicing across the globe.

My purchase? A Judo black belt.
              Could you tell us a bit about the security measures that the shop has in place to prevent people like me from just going in and buying a black belt?

Comment

Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
                Could you tell us a bit about the security measures that the shop has in place to prevent people like me from just going in and buying a black belt?
                It's strong. A few years ago I went to a party as sensai John Creese from Karate Kid and I nearly got in a fight for buying a black belt.
                Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
                  http://www.centurymartialarts.com/ma...lack_Belt.aspx

Comment

Yeh, but you've got to fax them a letter of authority from your Master, also signed by the Grandmaster and bearing the stamp of the Supreme Grandmaster's office before they'll complete your order, right?

Rite?

Comment

Buy a ninja costume, then discard the hood, jacket, pants and tabi. Or don't: you're a black belt now, so you might as well dress like a ninja.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                        Buy a ninja costume, then discard the hood, jacket, pants and tabi. Or don't: you're a black belt now, so you might as well dress like a ninja.
                        Would it be acceptable for a ninja to wear a black belt when out on a mission, even if he was only actually (say) an orange belt - for the sake of concealment?

Comment

Buy white belt. Dye it black. Get fancy gold kanji/hirigana/katakan embroidered on it.

There you go, security measures circumvented.

Ben
                          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I spent five years as a purple belt in BJJ. During the last two years I came very close to not giving a damn about the color of the belt I wore around my waist. However, the happiness and elation I experienced after receiving my brown indicates to me that I hadn't given up my desire to be promoted as much as I thought I had.

What's interesting (well, maybe not to you) is that every time that I've been promoted in BJJ, for a few hours afterward I feel like I'm more of a badass than I was before the promotion. Then the rosy glow fades a bit and I realize that I am the exact same bastard that I was before.

So for me, being belted to the next rank is a bit of a roller coaster on the first day.
                            Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                              I spent five years as a purple belt in BJJ. During the last two years I came very close to not giving a damn about the color of the belt I wore around my waist. However, the happiness and elation I experienced after receiving my brown indicates to me that I hadn't given up my desire to be promoted as much as I thought I had.

What's interesting (well, maybe not to you) is that every time that I've been promoted in BJJ, for a few hours afterward I feel like I'm more of a badass than I was before the promotion. Then the rosy glow fades a bit and I realize that I am the exact same bastard that I was before.

So for me, being belted to the next rank is a bit of a roller coaster on the first day.
                              When I was promoted to shodan, I felt pretty good. Then I showed up for class and my coach literally threw into every corner in of the dojo during randori for about 10 minutes. His comment was "I see your ukemi is pretty good".

Then he pinned, choked, and arm barred me for another 10 minutes, and told me "I see you know when to tap".

So much for being a black belt.

Ben
                              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X