Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you handle fighting against someone this tall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you handle fighting against someone this tall?

Hi Guys, My next fight is against a guy who beat this tall thai with the red hair. My technique is supposed to be better then his but he's the same height and has the same style as Wungpet, if I win it means I'm going to fight in Bangkok. I have my own thoughts on how to approach this fight but my question you you all is what would you's do?
    The shorter guy in the fight does a good job but I just don't think he's aggressive enough.
    Round 3
    Round 4
    Round 5

Concentrate on making your own fight style dominant, not on countering your opponents imo. In other words, play to your strengths, not his weaknesses.

Tall people are notoriously weak to leg kicks and body punches but we all know how low those score in Muay Thai.

Comment

I'd concentrate on your inside game.
      Whenever I'm against a tall guy I just want to clinch and knee. Stay in the pocket and keep elbow/clinch pressure on him, use his knee attempts to whip him around and destroy his face.

Comment

though not the same sport...see how Badr Hari takes Semmy Shilt's space away. Doesn't let him find his range.

In-fighting, will help you. angle in, and take advantage of his extension. Batter his body, and close the gap using angles and circling. It'll be harder for him to reorient and bring his power to bear.

without footage of your actual opponent, it's hard to offer anything more detailed...but inside=clever.

Comment

From a westerner point of veiw. Punch him in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
            From a westerner point of veiw. Punch him in the mouth.
            I second the notion.

Comment

my two cents: keep moving, avoid being cornered for kick barrages, im 6 feet 5, i had most troube with small nmble fuckers.

be a small nimble fucker.
              do footwork and work your stamina up to zomg wtf he's a machine level.
              you will have to work harder.
              and agression does the rest.
              wear em down, than....FINISH HIM!!!

Comment

Run!...you asked what I'd do, right?

Comment

You're going to have to get aggressive and control the pace of the fight. As the shortest guy in my gym, anytime I let the taller people get comfortable, it's going to be a really long night. Don't let him establish his jab, don't let him keep you away with teeps, and for god's sake, do NOT let him go first. Blast his ribs and his legs.

Comment

Can you post some video of you fighting? Maybe we could offer some suggestions on what you need to add or modify after we've seen you fight.

Comment

jspeedy I wasn't really looking for suggestions directly to me as to how to fight a taller opponent as [like i said] I have my own thoughts on how I'd take the fight but heres not my last fight but the one before.
                      In the fight I plan alot of in close fighting while being careful of the elbows and in the clinch getting body control quickly for the takedown.
                      I was more interested to see others thoughts on how they would approach a fighter like this.

Comment

Stay inside and beat the shit out of his liver.

Body shots and curve knees in the clinch.

When you're outside, bridge quickly and stay mobile. I love the overhand left when I'm bridging the gap.

Comment

^^^ good advice.

Inside leg kicks. As a reasonably lanky person (6'1", 160) I feel they hurt me the most. It's just very lean down there, and easier to land without the nutshot. Hard to get gangly legs out of the way in time, or back down into a planted stance soon enough for subsequent ones.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X