Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A complete newbie!

Hello all!

I've made my way here via a few links from NNSD, by way of searching for information on "McDojo's." So far before joining I've done a lot of reading on your site and I've found a lot of useful information, so a thank you is due there.

I've had "martial arts" training as a kid, but looking back at what a lot of that was, it's fair to say I'm a complete newb. I went to 4 separate schools in my youth, but I can say in hindsight that two were 100% red flag McDojo, one seemed genuine, and I was so young in one that I can't make a fair judgement. Either way I was 14 the last time I trained and I'm 30 now. My only holdover knowledge is a small bit of terminology and the ability to count to 10 in Japanese.

So I'm here looking into how to choose a school, how to choose a style, and now asking myself questions like "what do I want out of this?" I had planned on cross training from the beginning of looking into MA, but reading this site I can see that this is both common and encouraged. I'm clearly off to a great start; a prodigy in the making.

I've narrowed it down to wanting to study Muay Thai and either Judo or BJJ, depending on what's available to me when all is said and done.

So my first newbie question to the forum: where is an appropriate place, if any, to post a link to a school and see if anyone experienced can spot any obvious BS to look out for? I'm not looking to have my hand held through the situation but if I've learned anything it's that in suburban NJ, there are countless gyms and schools claiming to teach "Mixed Martial Arts". After weeding out the known scam chains, I'm still left with a lot of choices.

Welcome to the forum. If you're really interested in learning to fight, especially in muay thai and judo/bjj, ask how they do in competition. Those MMA schools that popped up overnight that you're trying to avoid most likely do not actually compete.

Comment

Haven't been in NJ for a few years now, but I will tell you to stay away from tiger schulmann schools which hopefully you have already crossed off. I really like small gyms. They usually cost less and have more interaction with the instructor. Always go watch MORE than one class.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Mercury View Post
        So my first newbie question to the forum: where is an appropriate place, if any, to post a link to a school and see if anyone experienced can spot any obvious BS to look out for?
        Right here in this thread is the best place to ask your questions.

Welcome to the site.
        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by Wasa View Post
          Haven't been in NJ for a few years now, but I will tell you to stay away from tiger schulmann schools which hopefully you have already crossed off. I really like small gyms. They usually cost less and have more interaction with the instructor. Always go watch MORE than one class.
          Actually that was one of the crap school I went to as a kid. Definitely off the list for good unless I want to pay out the butt for an aerobics class.

Originally posted by jnp View Post
          Right here in this thread is the best place to ask your questions.

Welcome to the site.
          Ok then, I'm looking into two places near my home town:
          http://www.muaythaifit.com/ - The website is crappy (they recently updated) but it hits all the basics. Full contact sparring is great, and I don't see any magical claims about the art or the instructor, they just seem really enthused about it. They don't have prices online (no place seems to) but if I recall it was a reasonable monthly, no contract fee with full access to any classes they hold. They don't offer other MAs, but the instructor claims to have some background in other styles so I can't imagine they'd be the type to discourage cross training.

http://www.oceancountybjj.com/ - Again, no pricing, but nothing to raise my red flags about being scammed either. They have randori open to most levels and I'll have to see if it's "full" or not.

Both places have the ability to watch classes, which is good. I have a feeling the BJJ place will be more costly, but I'll have to stop in and talk with them to find out more. I'll definitely look into competition records for both places.

Thanks for the help guys.

edited to add: I had meant to mention that I did some searching on the prospective schools in your gym/school ratings forum and found nothing, as well as the investigation areas.
          Last edited by Sweet Mercury; 4/13/2011 11:10am, . Reason: more info

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X