Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The reason I quit Aikido and stuck with Judo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    I've got to admit, there's something pretty addictive about aikibabes (read: soccer moms) calling you sensei and hanging off your every word.
    I didn't allow anyone to call me sensei, now it's unavoidable. Some people seem to get a thrill from using the word. My japanese instructor, who was a All Japan weight class champ and got a silver medal in the '75 world championships, refused adamantly to let anyone call him sensei, so who am I to be "sensei".

When I was teaching at Tulane U., I was just "Ben" or "coach". As I had USA Judo coach certifications and had signed on to the ethics code, fucking students was frowned upon. Every now and then we would get chicks who got turned on by wrestling with guys, it was pretty obvious what was going on. I'd just stay away from them and let the kyu grades chase them around. Too much drama for me. It was very tempting, though, and I have to admit I did succumb once, but I thought she was marriage material. Oh, how wrong I was.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
      Does Aikijoker wear face paint and have green hair?

Don't hold your breath on the joint training, they are too concerned for your welfare to show up.

Ben
      I can't shake the image of the guys at the Aikido club discussing this. Legit comedy sketch material.

Also, I allowed them to call me Sensei (even though the more correct term is probably Sempei), despite both terms being ego-fuelled and obnoxious.
      That's right. I was a whore.
      Last edited by Colin; 4/12/2011 9:24pm, .
      video game reviews

Comment

Slightly related story. When I was doing Aikido for a while in college (much to my eternal anger I recently found out, via Omega, that an awesome Sambo/Judo guy was like 10 minutes away from my campus but I never knew it, God damn early search engine days) I trained at a small dojo with guys who were more in the Aikijujutsu vein (i.e. slightly, and I do mean slightly, less pussyfied) but there was also a college Aikido club filled with....you guessed it....complete pussies. The main guy I knew who trained with them was a tall, doughy, pasty white guy who walked around campus wearing those renaissance fair elf boots that lace up, a thin leather head band, and sometimes a cape. That pretty much told me all I needed to know about them.

Comment

It looks like I'm reading my own dairy or something.
          How does that work? Is the a picture of you with a phone number underneath on the side of a carton or something?
          Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
          "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
          Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
          Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
          Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
          Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
          Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
          I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
          TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
          ATTN TOM KAGAN
          World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
          Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
          I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
          Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            Every now and then we would get chicks who got turned on by wrestling with guys, it was pretty obvious what was going on.
            These chicks delayed my cross-training in Judo for an year.
            After 1+ year of Aikido, I wanted to start training in a practical martial art (JUDO!!!) along with Aikido. I went into observe a Judo class, only to find bunch of chicks who were having too much fun doing newaza with guys or giggling madly as they fell on top of the guys with poorly executed throws. I got disgusted with the foolery and didn't return to Judo club till 4 months ago. However, it turns out the day I went in for an observation was one day out of the ordinary where things ran amok. Oh all the Judo I could have done for the year...

Comment

Kagan: haha! You caught me out on a typo!
              shame on me.

That being said, the first post of this guy looks exactly like the kind of first post I would make here if I all of a sudden discovered bullshido this year. Respect for this noob! :)
              video game reviews

Comment

so whats the Gee Ohh with all the guys on the likes of aikiweb who say they love doing aikido AND judo?

Comment

God damnit guys stop tempting me to take the aikido classes at my college in pursuit of easy poon! Doubly so because I absolutely detest all the aikido I've encountered in Matsuno-ryu Jujitsu, and the last thing I need is to get kicked out of college for breaking my karate death-shin off in some skirt wearing douche's ass.

Comment

Well, there are rare Aikido gyms around that are decent. (this is a wildly unsubstantiated theory) mine wasn't. Maybe some are?
                    If we consider Aikido as purely a superset of JJ techs that occasionally present themselves, and even more occasionally work, you just might develop a suitable delivery system for these techs via the Judo training.

Aikido as a concept, has philosophical appeal. The concept of destroying an attack or posture by embracing it is an elegant concept and is perhaps best demonstrated in an art like BJJ.
                    video game reviews

Comment

Well, there are rare Aikido gyms around that are decent. (this is a wildly unsubstantiated theory) mine wasn't. Maybe some are?
                      If we consider Aikido as purely a superset of JJ techs that occasionally present themselves, and even more occasionally work, you just might develop a suitable delivery system for these techs via the Judo training.

Aikido as a concept, has philosophical appeal. The concept of destroying an attack or posture by embracing it is an elegant concept and is perhaps best demonstrated in an art like BJJ.
                      I would also point out, as was pointed out to me with some cool pictures/references by RockApe and another poster whose name I can't remember, that Aikido and Judo do have a few very similar techniques.

Please note that I didn't say Aikido and Judo were "the same" or "similar" just that there is definitely at least some shared lineage there. So I don't find it all that surprising that some people crosstrain between the two styles, for whatever reason. Then again, maybe I'm just furious that I was never good enough at Aikido to be allowed to wear the magic pants.

Comment

I just bought my own magic pants that I prance around it when nobody else is at home. It's probably pretty much the same thing.

I admit, if the class were at all conveniently timed to coincide with pretty much anything else I do I'd take the aikido just out of curiosity and for shits and giggles, but it's not, which leaves me with the actual dojo in Tucson. In such a situation where I had the money to attend aikido on top of Judo and the YMCA membership which allows me to take Matsuno-ryu Jujitsu, I would, instead, spend said money on capoeira.

Why? Because if I became good at capoeira, I would be drowning in easy poon by sheer virtue of being alive. Much better than being so by virtue of being completely full of shit and/or myself.

Comment

Let me talk about the other students.....

In Aikido, most, (wait,all but me) of the other adult students were out of shape and tired easily from mild activity. Almost none of them came from any type of athletic background, or struck me as the type who've ever been in a real fight. Well, with an exception or two. Most were tech-geeks to put it mildly.

One was this tree-hugging smarmy douche bag who sat there and told me how assumptive people in Oklahoma were. In the same breath made ten lame assumptions. Finally ended up putting a sankaku on this guy.

There was a 12 yo girl who held an adult rank,who the sensei claimed could take on grown men. Really she was a stupid kid with poor social skills and a snotty attitude. If I was stuck training with her, she would complain about God knows what. One day just "gently" took this kid down and did a double coil-lock pin. Didnt hurt. Just trying to help her out.

Another guy was an obese brown belt with an earring who claimed he did Judo before. Never mind he couldnt do a proper breakfall. These Aikidorks did them with their legs crossed, and argued with me about it. Somehow because I didnt recieve a black belt from Muryama the Jap huckster,my training from high level Judo players meant nothing. Oh, and he claimed that Aikido was highly effective against animals. More so than a .45. He said this seriously too,btw.

Then there was the eastern European meathead. This guy was no wimp. He was kinda tough and was actually in the Olympics. But he was dumb as a box of rocks. He actually said my Judo techniques were useless. I ended up throwing this guy with an Uchi Mata and performing a trunk strangle from Kesa Gatame. He outweighed me by 50 lbs btw. With no where near the skill, and even though leaving for three months at a time, he held the same rank as me. Hmmm,so sensei could still collect money from him perhaps?

Then there was the smug teenager. This kid looked like a sloppy douche, but I was generally nice to him.He had a 9 yo sister who was cute as a button. Reason why I bring this up is because he was always having her sit on his lap and hugging and kissing on her. Kinda creepy. I dont know how I couldve been the only guy who noticed it.

One day, he smugly,but politely challenged me. He was 200 lbs, and I was 160. Round 1 got him with a shin choke from guard. Round 2 I threw him with Tae Otoshi set my hooks on his back,and executed an Okuri Eri Jime. I feel I did him a favor tbh.#1 teach him not to take on the arrogance of the BB's. #2 don't be falsely confident.#3 Dont you dare put up Aikido against a combat sport. He figured it out. But these other idiots yammered about never going to the ground.

There was also a hodge-podge of other weirdos,d&d geeks, and even a "transgendered"ftm thingy I called Pat. Something about Aikido seems to breed arrogance. It brings out a smugness.

Comment

Originally posted by Iainkelt View Post
                            Then again, maybe I'm just furious that I was never good enough at Aikido to be allowed to wear the magic pants.
                            Ah yes, the magic pants.

video game reviews

Comment

If Ashida Kim did Aikido, and was also a maths teacher - that was my Instructor.
                              I'm thinking there is every reason to believe he did.

Comment

Originally posted by diducdat? View Post
                                Oh, and he claimed that Aikido was highly effective against animals. More so than a .45. He said this seriously too,btw.
                                WTF? I know kyokushin karate has been used against animals[bulls] before, but Aikido against animals? Did that guy specifiy what kind of animal he was talking about?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X