Wong Fei Hung, Hung Ga Legend, Voted 7th Sloppiest Movie Drunk by TIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wong Fei Hung, Hung Ga Legend, Voted 7th Sloppiest Movie Drunk by TIME

At first I wasn't sure if I should be proud or horrified that Wong Fei Hung, Chinese folk hero and subject of 34,294,521 kung fu movies, was just voted the 7th sloppiest drunk in the history of cinema, right between Dudley Moore's "Arthur" and Billy Bob Thornton in "Bad Santa".

Now that I've had a few Heineken, I'm sure.

The full list:

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/09/2011 11:38pm, .

I just got back from a gig, and I'm feeling drunken mastery, and I say be proud.
    sigpic

Comment

This only goes to show what terrible writers/researchers Time has.

*hiccup*
      "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

I have to disagree, Lily. (If you're being sarcastic as per hiccup, sorry.)
        It's not a commentary on WFH per se, but rather the way he is portrayed on film.

Consider Jackie Chan in 'Drunken Master 2'.
        video game reviews

Comment

No Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas?

Comment

He does get pretty drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              No Nic Cage in Leaving Las Vegas?
              He's on the list: #3: Ben Sanderson, Leaving Las Vegas, for sure. In fact, I haven't seen all the movies on the list but I think he may be the only one listed who actually dies from drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                I have to disagree, Lily. (If you're being sarcastic as per hiccup, sorry.)
                It's not a commentary on WFH per se, but rather the way he is portrayed on film.

Consider Jackie Chan in 'Drunken Master 2'.
                Jackie Chan's turns as WFH might be more believable if he had any history of training in Hung Gar whatsoever.

Comment

I am sure Jackie's Hung Gar is much better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                    I am sure Jackie's Hung Gar is much better than yours.
                    Probable, but also arguable, as I have yet to find any evidence he's ever trained in that style. Mantis, northern CMA, bak mei, and plenty of non-CMA TMAs, but no hung ga (at least none that I've found).

If you have a source I would greatly appreciate it Chen.

There are plenty of others who have played WFH (going back to the 40s/50s) who also trained in the style: Gwan Tak Hing, Gordon Liu, and Jet Li to name some of the most famous.

But can Chan beat me at drinking?

Can you, for that matter?
                    :OpenMouth:

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/10/2011 11:03am, .

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                      He's on the list: #3: Ben Sanderson, Leaving Las Vegas, for sure. In fact, I haven't seen all the movies on the list but I think he may be the only one listed who actually dies from drinking.
                      Missed that, thanks.
                      As it is, I have only seen about half of them.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                        Probable, but also arguable,
                        Ummm, no. You're a noob. Go watch his movement in the early movies like Fearless Hyena.

as I have yet to find any evidence he's ever trained in that style. Mantis, northern CMA, bak mei, and plenty of non-CMA TMAs, but no hung ga (at least none that I've found).

If you have a source I would greatly appreciate it Chen.
                        Only anecdotally, my Sifu brought over a guy who was allegedly a teacher of Jackie's way back when. He taught Hung Gar.
                        I do recall him mentioning some Hung and CLF training in an interview as well.
                        You are ignoring his physicality and the ingrained movement he has. He could memorize all 4 pillar sets in an afternoon if he wished.
                        I have no doubt he's had some formal Hung Kuen training.

There are plenty of others who have played WFH (going back to the 40s/50s) who also trained in the style: Gwan Tak Hing, Gordon Liu, and Jet Li to name some of the most famous.
                        Kwan Tak Hing - White Crane
                        Jet Li - Wushu
                        Your point was what now?
                        But can Chan beat me at drinking?

Can you, for that matter?

Chan?
                        Probably.

Chen?
                        Definitely.

Comment

Chen?
                          Definitely.
                          Once again Chen you've corrected and expanded my knowledge. And for that you've earned my sincere thanks.

However...I've tired of your baseless attacks on my tolerance!

I declare drinking gong sau, you and me, next time I visit Hawaii. The last time was 2001.

I will allow you to choose the alcohol, and I'll be bouncing quarters off your snoring nose before the night is over!

Mahalo, bitch!

Comment

You're not ready i assure you.

Comment

You're not ready i assure you.
                              Isn't that made with bits of real tiger?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X