Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorami
    replied
    Colin & bodhi108:
    Are your respective avatars both different images of the same bloke?

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied
    Originally posted by Colin View Post
    I somehow didn't cover those points in the thread already?
    No, you didn't.

What does Aikido need saving from? Eventual obscurity and irrelevance. Many waza could be considered 'obsolete'.
    Aikido doesn't need saving from obscurity or irrelevance. It's not obscure, it's not dying out.

Just because its irrelevant to you doesn't mean it is to the thousands of people all over the world who practice it & don't feel the need to make it into something its not.

People typically don't train in Aiki who fight vale tudo, probably the most obvious and most relevant point to the discussion.
    Just when I thought you couldn't say anything dumber...

I've already stated in the thread more than once that I don't think there's anything special about my own relationship to Aikido, I just have a sentimental attachment to the Art.

Your question is not even really a question. :(
    It's just an ad hominem attack. You don't address any of my actual points...
    It's not an ad hominum attack. Brush up on your fallacies.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    I somehow didn't cover those points in the thread already?

Fine, I'll bite.
    What does Aikido need saving from? Eventual obscurity and irrelevance. Many waza could be considered 'obsolete'.
    People typically don't train in Aiki who fight vale tudo, probably the most obvious and most relevant point to the discussion.

I've already stated in the thread more than once that I don't think there's anything special about my own relationship to Aikido, I just have a sentimental attachment to the Art.
    Your question is not even really a question. :(
    It's just an ad hominem attack. You don't address any of my actual points...

Your implication is that who I am is somehow relevant to my original argument.

It isn't.

The only relevance here to myself is the fact that I'm the one who decided to discuss this 'disappointing' idea.

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied
    Try reading more than one post in a thread if you have anything to actually say.
    Otherwise go back to watching taekyon videos.
    I read the entire thread.

I found it a good way to spend an afternoon home from the office sick, but otherwise entirely disappointing in its conclusions.

What does Aikido need saving from & why do you think you're the one to save it?

Leave a comment:

• Tom .C
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    Another pic of a kitten and I'll go Nansen.
    Says Mr. Hello Kitty

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Another pic of a kitten and I'll go Nansen.

Leave a comment:

• Yoj
    replied
    Originally posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Bit more like it: koan the barbarian.

Leave a comment:

• Vieux Normand
    replied
    Originally posted by Permalost View Post
    Verbal aikido
    Bit more like it: koan the barbarian.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    Dharma combat!!!
    Verbal aikido

Leave a comment:

• kismasher
    replied
    does aikido even want to be saved? stockholm syndrome?

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Dharma combat!!!

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Aikido doesn't need saving.

You do.
    Try reading more than one post in a thread if you have anything to actually say.
    Otherwise go back to watching taekyon videos.

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied
    Ok. I'll start by stating that I have a modest experience with Aikido over many years involving training with Aikidoka of vastly different philosophical outlooks, physical abilities, and training methodologies.

I started to think about a few opinions I had read in some threads here, and about my own experiences with Aikido, and have come to the conclusion, that with no other martial art, with the possible exception of some obscure TCMA or overly acrobatic Booj Dojos, will give you the same high-level constant ukemi practice.

As I mentioned - this point has been brought up before, that ukemi in Aikido isn't only crucial to the art, it IS the art. Tori's job after all, is just a different kind of ukemi, right?

If we operate under the suspicion that Aikido is a means of dealing with Ueshiba's attacks, much like Judo is a way of dealing with Kano's attacks, we can probably surmise that Ueshiba prized (and probably sported) a very elusive fighting style, perhaps due to a very advanced Ukemi. (rolling out of the way of a strike to control the sword arm from behind, and failing good position, able to roll and gain better position again?)

If this is a plausible explanation, then perhaps modern Aikido could transition into an MMA or SD accompaniment called UKEMIDO which includes the study of MA-AIDO.

To define specifically what kind of training this should constitute, and to what amount of time the modern fighter may get value out of investing in intensive ukemi training is really a matter of discussion, a discussion I hope to encourage out of the JMA and MMA community here.

What I'm proposing is perhaps a single training session per week of standard length (1-2 hrs) dedicated entirely to breakfalling, rolling safely, learning how to roll behind someone (or indeed through them, if the technique is appropriate).

How do the other bullies feel about this?
    Aikido doesn't need saving.

You do.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    That was a good watch, thanks for the link matt, but personally, I am more interested in modern MA training - The Aikido idea was mostly about trying to find something in the system that is potentially universally useful, ie: the Ukemi.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
    He's got a 4/5 dvd set of "combat aikido" too. It's a good watch.
    The clips without headgear are all from that series IIRC

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X