Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Colin: it was never my plan/intention to attack you, just to warn you that there's a small catch when you use ukemi between Aikido and Judo.

I like the idea of ukemi teachings with arts that nowadays don't have ukemi or don't have a codified ukemi training. But the most important part I think is that the ukemi has to be adapted to the Martial Art/Combat Sport and noy the other way around.

a few examples to explain the adding of a codified ukemi:
    - English Boxing: 5 minutes tops in a 2 hour training and not more than falling left, right, back, front and forward roll without being thrown by a tori. That's all that they are going to need to practise boxing safely.
    - Muay Thai: 20 min in a 2 hour training of decent ukemi. I always found the throws in Judo where uke was launched over a leg more difficult to perform a breakfall on (and more painfull) than the throws where uke was guided over tori's hip or shoulder. Since throws over the leg are the only ones in Muay Thai and canvas (= boxing ring floor) is harder than a tatami, a constant ukemi training would be beneficial.
    - Wrestling: Let them please take over the codified ukemi training of Judo, because I really get the impression that it's nowadays a trial and error process. With throws that mostly are different in name only with their Judo counterparts a trial and error approach to ukemi is the wrong method if you want to practise Wrestling without too many problems once you have passed the age of 22.
    - BJJ: every throw/takedown of Judo and Wrestling are legit, yet ukemi is so many times completely neglected that we aren't even speaking of trial and error approach, but "survive impact on competition" approach. A full Judo ukemi training should be a standard part of each BJJ class.

In the competition world today "Judo-esque" throws are the standard, so ukemi should be "Judo-esque". Ukemi has to adapt itself to the throws, not vice versa.

In the beginning when I came to Bullshido I thought that my chodan in Hapkido was a waste of time and money and I had the same idea of Aikido. I thought that Ueshiba must have been one of the greatest pansies around for creating Aikido, yet DCS showed me some fine reading and I had to re-evaluate my thinking over Aikido and Ueshiba.
    From the reading I came to my conclusion that Ueshiba was in his younger times an adversary that you couldn't take for granted and that he created Aikido as a superset to complete an already skillset of grappling. The fact that Ueshiba's first students were already decent fighters before they started Aikido validates for me this theory.
    Also when you have students that already have a delivery system, you can afford to drill technique without incorperating randori standard in the lessons. Most students would try the techniques in randori after class.

It only started to go wrong with Aikido when newer generations of students without any previous Martial Art/Combat Sport training started doing it and eventually became instructors. So creating an Aikido school where the minimum requierement is shodan in Judo would benefit Aikido in general. Such students could make any form of Aikido (Aikikai, Nishio, Yoshinkan, Yoseikan and Shodokan) and Hapkido work.
    Originally posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Originally posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Originally posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Comment

I have to say it again.

Move to Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
        I have to say it again.

Move to Brazil

Nice Sukui Nage at the first.
        Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          Nice Sukui Nage at the first.
          We call it aiki otoshi:

Comment

Nice, I think it's a technique from various koryu. I've found a Takenouchi Ryu video with the same technique being used by guys grappling in armor.

Ben

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

C'mon kids...

YMAS is supposed to go from Aiki-otoshi, to impacted anal glands. NOT the other way around.
              sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
              "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
                C'mon kids...

YMAS is supposed to go from Aiki-otoshi, to impacted anal glands. NOT the other way around.
                Shit happens.

Comment

Q:
                  Exactly what sort of background and qualifications would one need to start teaching break falls? (the day I move to Japan is the day I start using Japanese terminology when there are perfectly serviceable English words availible)

If I've learned anything of value in my forays into Han Mu Do, pro wrestling, and Judo it was how to fall without injuring myself. In Real Life, I've used those moves more than anything I ever learned in BJJ, considering I've fallen off horses, tripped over tile floors, slipped on tree roots, stumbled over my own feet, and fallen out of (parked) trucks far more often than I've been in str33t f34ts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
                    C'mon kids...

Being thrown like that enough can lead to impacted anal glands, just ask Judoka_UK.

There, feel better now?

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
                      Q:
                      Exactly what sort of background and qualifications would one need to start teaching break falls? (the day I move to Japan is the day I start using Japanese terminology when there are perfectly serviceable English words availible)
                      Its not just about being able to breakfall, but being able to spot, diagnose and correct breakfall errors. One of the dan grades who's getting in coaching practice so when I and others leave there's a solid cadre of people who know how to coach left behind. Was taking some beginners through breakfalls, I was watching matside.

They were moving down the mat doing yoko ukemi and doing breakfalls with their elbows pointing down after two runs down the mat some were rubbing their elbows. I had to catch the guy coaching and quietly let him know to remind the beginners to rotate their elbows out when they breakfall. As he hadn't noticed what they were doing and hadn't remember to stress the point when teaching.

He makes the point, they correct, no more bruised elbows.

Simple basic mistake that can be easily overlooked, but left uncorrected leads to major chance of injury and long term painfull and ineffective ukemi.
                      sigpic

Comment

Being thrown like that enough can lead to impacted anal glands, just ask Judoka_UK.

There, feel better now?

Ben
                        Someone's butthurt that I questioned the angle of their penis.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                          Someone's butthurt that I questioned the angle of their penis.
                          LOL, the angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the heat of the meat.

Ben

Comment

Ben
                            Come on now, your ancestors were German. There's no way you're smuggling around some spicy mediterranean chorizo in your levis.
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, and Colin, I'll have to downgrade your rating to a 4 overall considering the revelation (not too big a surprise) you really don't know much about ukemi. Or aikido, or judo.

Ben
                              This is a pretty unfair comment.
                              Rating or no rating? I'm really not too fussed about - though you claim I know next to nothing about Ukemi?
                              video game reviews

Comment

Ben
                                Lol... and Max Factor Knacker-Lacquer will add muster to your cluster.
                                sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                                "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X