Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Jones and the BJC? ie: Australian Freestyle Karate otherwise known as Zen do Kai?
    Yup. we got a shitton of guys like that.

I should start selling UKEMIDO black belts on ebay.
    Last edited by Colin; 4/10/2011 10:18am, .
    video game reviews

Comment

Hey just calm down now.
      I am an official bob jones brown singlet in muay thai and it took me almost six months.
      So it has to be credable.
      Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
        So it has to be credable.
        It's definitely credable.

Just not sure how credible

In fact, it's probably the most credable Muay Thai rank ever issued, y'know MT not having any ranks outside the BJC and all ^^
        video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          DCS: Now you're being obtuse.
          It relates to Aikido because firstly, it was my pre-Judo ukemi experience, and furthermore, I believe Aikidoka generally have tons more breakfalling experience than Judoka of the same experience level, due to that fact that in compliant Aikido drilling, you get thrown down, alot. In Judo, you spend more time on your feet wrestling for position than time spent getting thrown.

It also relates to Aikido because it shows that a current Aikido training practice is demonstrably relevant to modern safety.
          No, most judo training should (but may not) involve a lot more throwing than wrestling around. come to my judo class and you will get thrown a lot in various drills ranging from compliant to not so compliant.

How are you going to learn to throw unless you throw?

Anyway, I'll give you a 5 for the idea and a 6 so far for execution. Your lack of knowledge of ukemi shows badly, or you might rank higher.

Ben
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

[QUOTE=Yoj;2532284]I was going to, but you made conclusions with anecdotes, i presented a scenario instead of addressing each point, however, if you want to consider an alternate angle, skills that are usable in life are those which become subconscious processes, take driving, as a learner, everything is an effort, with real experience, a lot of the processes are automated and the conscious mind is left having to only deal with an overview of the whole, this is how we become adept at things. We dont fully understand it, but thats the model. in terms of compliant ukemi, there is never a need for it to become a subconscious act, and for aikidoka, it's still something they engage in order to do.

Judoka, dont have that problem, because it happens at random times, forcing it to become a natural response. i suspect that model is also at the basis of alive training.
            Incorrect. Most judo training involves a lot of throwing of compliant uke. Not someone jumping, but not resisting other than posture and body weight. This is especially true for beginners and other kyu grades.

In randori, less falling happens than in drilling, although their should be more ukemi taken in randori than one typically sees.

As one advances in training, how much to resist, when/how, if one is going to be thrown or take a fall, to fall or if to take ukemi becomes more and more a conscious act (speaking from my own experience). Sometimes it happens so fast and hard, no time to think, but even then there is awareness.

Ben

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
              And BJJ destroys your ability to do anything other than flop onto your butt and then rub it up and down on a mat, like a dog with an itchy arse.

I present to you the finest BJJ practicioner of our age:
              Impacted anal glands, very messy business!

Ben

Comment

What are my qualifications in Aikido?
                I'm a 6th kyu ^_^
                (Judo is 2 years after the Aikido finished)
                My grappling experience mostly comes from that 2 year period.

In a website that prides itself on stringent requirements, it's pretty amazing how far such a conversation can go before such issues are raised :)

To try and target more accurately the core of your comment - what's special about me that should be teaching Ukemi? Nothing. Nothing at all.
                Am I qualified to teach Ukemi? (possibly? what kind of qualification do you need?)

If it was so long ago when I did Aikido (and still pretty long since I used to to Judo, too) Why do I feel that I can teach Ukemi?

Well, I'm pretty damn good at ukemi.
                LOL, I was going to read the rest and ask how much aikido and Judo you really have done.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  Impacted anal glands, very messy business!

Ben
                  I know things must get lonely up their in the cold American north, but I would have thought you could keep things buttoned up until the wife gets there. Although I guess it explains why you started a small holding.
                  sigpic

Comment

I know things must get lonely up their in the cold American north, but I would have thought you could keep things buttoned up until the wife gets there. Although I guess it explains why you started a small holding.
                    LOL, nice try, but your lack of farm experience and dog ownership is showing. Never had to clear impacted anal glands on your dog? Make sure you stand to one side and hold your breath, is all I can say.

Only pussies take their dogs to the vet for that kind of crap.

Ben

Comment

Oh, and Colin, I'll have to downgrade your rating to a 4 overall considering the revelation (not too big a surprise) you really don't know much about ukemi. Or aikido, or judo.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        LOL, nice try, but your lack of farm experience and dog ownership is showing. Never had to clear impacted anal glands on your dog? Make sure you stand to one side and hold your breath, is all I can say.

Only pussies take their dogs to the vet for that kind of crap.

Ben
                        How do you 'clear the passage' and stand to the side at the same time? Do you suffer from a pronounced form of Peyronie's, its quit common in white males over 40, I hear?
                        sigpic

Comment

How do you 'clear the passage' and stand to the side at the same time? Do you suffer from a pronounced form of Peyronie's, its quit common in white males over 40, I hear?
                          I see you do have experience at clearing passages and Peronie's syndrome. And your fascination of my penis and it's shape is quite disturbing, how long has this been an issue for you?

Your lack of dog ownership experience is showing, so I'll have to give you a 2 for this effort.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                            Cant find any video. Basicly it consists of riding a stationary bike while holding your breath.
                            I was imagining something dirtier...you know. Because the depravation.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                              I was imagining something dirtier...you know. Because the depravation.
                              Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                              http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

(In addition, what he's doing is called ad hominem. He's not trying to attack the argument, rather the guy who put the argument together. This is YMAS, after all.)
                                Argument? I haven't seen anything worth that name.

OTOH,

STFU N00B and go train until you have something to teach!!!

Something in this line would be an ad hominem.

But that not my style.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X