Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are my qualifications in Aikido?
    I'm a 6th kyu ^_^
    (Judo is 2 years after the Aikido finished)
    My grappling experience mostly comes from that 2 year period.

In a website that prides itself on stringent requirements, it's pretty amazing how far such a conversation can go before such issues are raised :)

To try and target more accurately the core of your comment - what's special about me that should be teaching Ukemi? Nothing. Nothing at all.
    Am I qualified to teach Ukemi? (possibly? what kind of qualification do you need?)

If it was so long ago when I did Aikido (and still pretty long since I used to to Judo, too) Why do I feel that I can teach Ukemi?

Well, I'm pretty damn good at ukemi.
    Last edited by Colin; 4/09/2011 8:39pm, .
    video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
      Really, what are you qualifications to teach ukemi in a MMA gym?

Eight years of a shadowy aikido style (from 16 to 24 years old) not having training in the last 7? How many years of Judo/Jits/Grappling?

Seriously, WTF?
      He is teaching people to fall over not fight MMA I do not see the problem.

I have a free dive instructor who is teaching me oxygen depravation training. He cannot fight his way out of a paper bag.

Swims good though.
      Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        I have little intention of retaining (or caring about in any fashion) Aikinage.
        I may have done Aikido for eight years, but that all finished seven years ago.
        I think you might have misunderstood my second paragraph, it was only meant to make fun of Aiki-pansies :) I agree with you about not retaining Aikinage.
        PS: I think your ukemi class will be a great success. I had to teach few muay thai guys and boxers how to ukemi because they wanted to participate in the hipthrow+takedown session, and I think there's definitely a demand for ukemi.

Comment

Furthermore - in Aikido (as it is with many other arts) there are (in my opinion) two instructors out the front, when techniques are being demonstrated. Tori and Uke. Tori is teaching Nage, Uke is teaching Ukemi. Following this logic, I can claim that I have already taught Ukemi for several years, too.
          video game reviews

Comment

I like this thread better.

No, wait, the other one.

No, this one.... AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! I can't decide. Where's the government to tell me what to do when I need them?
            sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
            "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
              What's wrong with his stuff? He's usually in the top 5 results when you youtube search for any gokyo nage waza. Even sadder is that so's the akban wiki.
              There's your answer.

Also,

As posted on JF by Hedgehogey

Steven Seagull vs some Judo black belt

Last edited by judoka_uk; 4/10/2011 5:24am, .
              sigpic

Comment

Until the threads have been merged - please post comments in this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105608
                video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  What are my qualifications in Aikido?
                  I'm a 6th kyu ^_^
                  (Judo is 2 years after the Aikido finished)
                  My grappling experience mostly comes from that 2 year period.
                  OK. Thanks for the clarification.

In a website that prides itself on stringent requirements, it's pretty amazing how far such a conversation can go before such issues are raised :)
                  Resistance is futile, you will be investigated. :)

To try and target more accurately the core of your comment - what's special about me that should be teaching Ukemi? Nothing. Nothing at all.
                  Am I qualified to teach Ukemi? (possibly? what kind of qualification do you need?)
                  I expected more experience in a rough and tumble combat sport with lots of sweeps, throws and takedowns.

If it was so long ago when I did Aikido (and still pretty long since I used to to Judo, too) Why do I feel that I can teach Ukemi?
                  I'm not a psychologist and can't read minds across the globe. Why you feel qualified to teach ukemi for SD or MMA escapes me.

Well, I'm pretty damn good at ukemi.
                  Video or it didn't happen.

Originally posted by gregaquaman
                  I have a free dive instructor who is teaching me oxygen depravation training. He cannot fight his way out of a paper bag.
                  Oxygen depravation? Sounds kinky to me. Link to video please (don't forget the NSFW tags). Thanks in advance. :P

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                    Heh. I'm actually familiar with both of these guys. The Judo guy is national level for both Judo and BJJ. And the Aikido guy is just your run of the mill black belt with what looks like no real fighting experience.

Comment

The aikido guy looks like the Michelin mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiNnyX4 View Post
                        Heh. I'm actually familiar with both of these guys. The Judo guy is national level for both Judo and BJJ. And the Aikido guy is just your run of the mill black belt with what looks like no real fighting experience.
                        Ahh, checked the vid description, he's that Staniezski chap who someone spams on the Judoforum whenever he does something.

What's the context of this? Challenge match, friendly spar?
                        sigpic

Comment

The foreground moved in slow motion, while the background appeared to run at normal speed.

Was that CGI, or was it due to the mass of the guy sucking in chronotons (or similar trekkie bullshit)?
                          sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                          "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                            OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Resistance is futile, you will be investigated. :)

I expected more experience in a rough and tumble combat sport with lots of sweeps, throws and takedowns.

I'm not a psychologist and can't read minds across the globe. Why you feel qualified to teach ukemi for SD or MMA escapes me.

Video or it didn't happen.

Oxygen depravation? Sounds kinky to me. Link to video please (don't forget the NSFW tags). Thanks in advance. :P
                            Cant find any video. Basicly it consists of riding a stationary bike while holding your breath.
                            the idea is I will be able function while I am out of breath for short periods of time. freedivers do it so that they don't die underwater.

My point is that as a MMAer I still look for anything that might enhance my game wether it is MMA related or not same as if I had the chance to learn some Akido break falling I would give it a crack because it might help.

I dont feel that I would need that person to have MMA experience that is my MMA coach's job.

Comment

Aqua: I really appreciate your level-headed view of the subject. DCS is just busting my chops to see if he can get me to squirm anyway. It's because he loves me.

(In addition, what he's doing is called ad hominem. He's not trying to attack the argument, rather the guy who put the argument together. This is YMAS, after all.)
                              Last edited by Colin; 4/10/2011 11:11am, .
                              video game reviews

Comment

Read an Australian MMA mag one day. You would be amazed at how many freak kung fu/karate, how the hell did you become a fighter training like that guys there are out there that are doing well.

Comment

Working...
                                X