Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A liar once told me that "grab my wrist" was originally "grab my sword arm before I go all Iaido on your sorry ass".

Comment

Wasn't this pages long yesterday?

Comment

I have only done a few lessons of aikido and a year or two of judo/jitsu.
        Based on this admittedly limited experience I would not think or rolling being a good form of attack as for a seocnd or so you can't see where your opponent/knife arm is.

However ukemi is invaluable in defence either to recover from a fall or throw and to minimise injury on impact with the ground. So spending time exclusively on it is never going to be a bad idea, just might leave you very dizzy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
          Wasn't this pages long yesterday?
          Colin needs 2 threads to make his point. :P

Comment

Due to a bs.net error, the thread appeared twice - I reported one of the threads to be deleted (this one, not the other one) guess it hasn't happened yet.
            video game reviews

Comment

@Colin: IMO, you should just go ahead and do a pilot ukemi class for volunteers with some form of evaluation method in the end (follow up survey, or get a judo guy[YOU] to throw all the participants before and after the seminar ;), etc). You have a hypothesis, and I think it is time you do the experiment. I would participate the class if it was in NYC or NJ but your profile says you're far far away in the land of Tasmanian Devils.

But in general, I think just adding body conditioning to Aikido will eliminate the most Aiki-pansies. Although I am afraid of the void we'll be left with in the dojo/gym after that...

Originally posted by DCS View Post
              I LIKE his Aikido.

Comment

Why stop at butt drags when we can do the butt-walk?

Comment

Originally posted by Oonjuk View Post
                  Can we please get a moratorium on all the Kaza ute kai videos, because pretty much everyone of them sucks. Much like the Brian Jones and Alabhama Judo videos.

I get serious abdominal pains every time I have to watch them and my coach ritual kills a small child as penance for watching them, so please, think of the children, think of the children!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                    I get serious abdominal pains every time I have to watch them and my coach ritual kills a small child as penance for watching them, so please, think of the children, think of the children!
                    Now, now... with your hand on your heart, how many children died for your guilty pleasure my good sir? ;)

Comment

Now, now... with your hand on your heart, how many children died for your guilty pleasure my good sir? ;)
                      They were mainly black and foreign so they don't count.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's american judo. What did you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                          Can we please get a moratorium on all the Kaza ute kai videos, because pretty much everyone of them sucks. Much like the Brian Jones... videos.

What's wrong with his stuff? He's usually in the top 5 results when you youtube search for any gokyo nage waza. Even sadder is that so's the akban wiki.

Comment

if he was more careful about wiping he wouldnt need this drill.

Comment

@Colin: IMO, you should just go ahead and do a pilot ukemi class for volunteers with some form of evaluation method in the end (follow up survey, or get a judo guy[YOU] to throw all the participants before and after the seminar ;), etc). You have a hypothesis, and I think it is time you do the experiment. I would participate the class if it was in NYC or NJ but your profile says you're far far away in the land of Tasmanian Devils.

But in general, I think just adding body conditioning to Aikido will eliminate the most Aiki-pansies. Although I am afraid of the void we'll be left with in the dojo/gym after that...

I LIKE his Aikido.
                              I have little intention of retaining (or caring about in any fashion) Aikinage.
                              I may have done Aikido for eight years, but that all finished seven years ago.

As for running a pilot ukemi course for my current colleagues, I think there is value in this - in fact, it was my original idea to start such a course, that led to me posting about the idea in this thread ^^.
                              video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                I have little intention of retaining (or caring about in any fashion) Aikinage.
                                I may have done Aikido for eight years, but that all finished seven years ago.

As for running a pilot ukemi course for my current colleagues, I think there is value in this - in fact, it was my original idea to start such a course, that led to me posting about the idea in this thread ^^.
                                Really, what are you qualifications to teach ukemi in a MMA gym?

Eight years of a shadowy aikido style (from 16 to 24 years old) not having training in the last 7? How many years of Judo/Jits/Grappling?

Seriously, WTF?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X