Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCS
    replied
    Originally posted by Sang View Post
    I fractured both my elbows last year getting thrown in MT clinch training, a career ending injury that probably wouldn't have occurred if we'd been taught how to break fall properly.
    Sorry to hear that.

I can see the benefit of having someone on hand to teach break falls to an MMA or MT class, i just don't think an Aikido guy is right for the job. Why have a coach at the gym who can only teach people how to throw themselves when you could have a coach who can teach people how to fall and throw (judo).
    Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    I think you're probably right Sang.
    For what it's worth, I've never charged money for any previous instruction, (I have taught many of my friends how to play guitar, for example), and if I ended up running a pilot course in my current gym, I wouldn't be charging for that, either.

I did previously mention financial advantage in the thread, and that part of the argument looks pretty silly now :)

Leave a comment:

• Sang
    replied
    I don't think there is an opportunity for an Aikidoka to make money in this method but there is for a gym member to pass on his previously learnt skills to the ever evolving gym culture.

We've had TKD guys come in and teach some kicks, a Kung Fu guy teach some catch and dump variations and a wrestler way back taught me how to use the head as another arm in the clinch. None of these guys were paid for their help though and every coach I've trained under would laugh in the Aikidoka's face who suggested they could teach their fighters how to fall for a small fee.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    Sang, I tend to agree with you.
    I do feel that Judo training is preferable to Ukemi only training.
    If none of the guys doing Judo are doing MT at an individual gym though - is there an opportunity for an ex-aikidoka?

Leave a comment:

• Sang
    replied
    I fractured both my elbows last year getting thrown in MT clinch training, a career ending injury that probably wouldn't have occurred if we'd been taught how to break fall properly.

I can see the benefit of having someone on hand to teach break falls to an MMA or MT class, i just don't think an Aikido guy is right for the job. Why have a coach at the gym who can only teach people how to fall when you could have a coach who can teach people how to fall and throw (judo).

Leave a comment:

• Ignorami
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, the angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the heat of the meat.

Ben
    Lol... and Max Factor Knacker-Lacquer will add muster to your cluster.

Leave a comment:

• Colin
    replied
    Oh, and Colin, I'll have to downgrade your rating to a 4 overall considering the revelation (not too big a surprise) you really don't know much about ukemi. Or aikido, or judo.

Ben
    This is a pretty unfair comment.
    Rating or no rating? I'm really not too fussed about - though you claim I know next to nothing about Ukemi?

Leave a comment:

• judoka_uk
    replied

Ben
    Come on now, your ancestors were German. There's no way you're smuggling around some spicy mediterranean chorizo in your levis.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Someone's butthurt that I questioned the angle of their penis.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• judoka_uk
    replied
    Being thrown like that enough can lead to impacted anal glands, just ask Judoka_UK.

There, feel better now?

Ben
    Someone's butthurt that I questioned the angle of their penis.

Leave a comment:

• judoka_uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Q:
    Exactly what sort of background and qualifications would one need to start teaching break falls? (the day I move to Japan is the day I start using Japanese terminology when there are perfectly serviceable English words availible)
    Its not just about being able to breakfall, but being able to spot, diagnose and correct breakfall errors. One of the dan grades who's getting in coaching practice so when I and others leave there's a solid cadre of people who know how to coach left behind. Was taking some beginners through breakfalls, I was watching matside.

They were moving down the mat doing yoko ukemi and doing breakfalls with their elbows pointing down after two runs down the mat some were rubbing their elbows. I had to catch the guy coaching and quietly let him know to remind the beginners to rotate their elbows out when they breakfall. As he hadn't noticed what they were doing and hadn't remember to stress the point when teaching.

He makes the point, they correct, no more bruised elbows.

Simple basic mistake that can be easily overlooked, but left uncorrected leads to major chance of injury and long term painfull and ineffective ukemi.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
    C'mon kids...

YMAS is supposed to go from Aiki-otoshi, to impacted anal glands. NOT the other way around.
    Being thrown like that enough can lead to impacted anal glands, just ask Judoka_UK.

There, feel better now?

Ben

Leave a comment:

• Vince Tortelli
    replied
    Q:
    Exactly what sort of background and qualifications would one need to start teaching break falls? (the day I move to Japan is the day I start using Japanese terminology when there are perfectly serviceable English words availible)

If I've learned anything of value in my forays into Han Mu Do, pro wrestling, and Judo it was how to fall without injuring myself. In Real Life, I've used those moves more than anything I ever learned in BJJ, considering I've fallen off horses, tripped over tile floors, slipped on tree roots, stumbled over my own feet, and fallen out of (parked) trucks far more often than I've been in str33t f34ts.

Leave a comment:

• Oonjuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
    C'mon kids...

YMAS is supposed to go from Aiki-otoshi, to impacted anal glands. NOT the other way around.
    Shit happens.

Leave a comment:

• Ignorami
    replied
    C'mon kids...

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X