Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I know a fair number of BJJ players, and even some judoka, who wouldn't survive a roster cut based on that list, and you want to apply it to akido?

Just come out and say how you really feel, man, I'll start.

"What do you get when you have 50 akidoka at the bottom of the ocean?"
    " A good start."
    Maybe my experience is tainted by associating too much with sport Judoka.

I used to run a university club and we had all sorts and yeh a good portion wouldn't have survived the cut. However, their departing wouldn't have been much of a loss to the club and we would still have had a decent membership.

You apply this to an average Aikido club and you'll have no one left in the room.

That's a big part of the problem, too many pussies in Aikido.

What do we say, so often, are the two things needed to make Aikido decent - effective training methodology and a delivery system.

Your average Aikijoker is the reason these two things are never going to go mainstream for Aikido. They can't physically, emotionally and mentally cope with the training methodology that would be required fo it to approach effectivness, re: sparring. The same problem stops them cross training in arts that could provide a delivery system combined with their deep desire to overcome their vast inadequacies without any actual effort means they buy into the whole bs about being too deadly etc...

I went to a couple of sessions of all the other JMAs on campus as a little fact finding mission. Aikido was filled entirely with scrawny pansies, asian girls and a few tubby white chicks. The Jujitsu clubs were filled with the British equivalent of band and AV club members. The membership is a good 80% of the reason those martial arts as represented on campus, stink.

Fix the membership and the training methodology and delivery system issues will resolve themselves.
    sigpic

Comment

Maybe aikido would be more popular if all the dojos focused on Stephen Seagal/Anderson Silva face kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zendokan View Post
        If you want to 'save' Aikido and Hapkido, start a school where the minimum requierement is that students should have a Judo Shodan (or the equivalent in other grappling arts) before they can start to study Aikido.
        I'd also add that I don't think this is a terrible idea, either - but it's definitely a different vision than what I had in mind.
        video game reviews

Comment

The trouble is colin, an akidoka could do endless sessions of ukemi, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they it wasn't part of the plan, ukemi, like everything, needs to be alive.

There is another kind of aikidoka that do fair better, they train in a compliant but rough and hard manner, and acquire injuries, such clubs are rare, and I've only met a few guys that do it, and not with the regular class. These guys handle themselves ok, not because they have great delivery system, or because they train properly alive, but during the course of training they are used to being hit, and dont get phased by it. but most folks dont want that experience, or, they would have done something else. But thats where the success stories come from I think, guys that like it rough, fnar.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoj View Post
            The trouble is colin, a professional fighter could do endless sessions of ukemi, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they it wasn't part of the plan, ukemi, like everything, needs to be alive.
            The trouble is colin, a professional writer could do endless sessions of typewriting, walk out of the studio on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they it wasn't part of the plan, typewriting, like everything, needs to be alive.

The trouble is colin, a Native Indonesian could do endless sessions of haggling, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they couldn't find a bargain, shopping, like everything, needs to be alive.

The trouble is colin, an Orthodox Jew could do endless sessions of Torah Study, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their neck, because they convinced themselves that g-d would punish them, Torah Study, like everything, needs to be alive.
            Yoj - Typically I like your cynical style of posting, and it is generally formidable enough to dispense with half-witted trolls, but you're going to have to mount a more serious argument addressing a few of my premises if you want your opinion to have an impact on this argument.
            video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Colin
              2.2: There are no significant amount of Aikidoka emerging with any success in Professional MMA
              Because your post clearly indicates you appreciate intelligence and correctness (and I am an unashamed grammar-whore), I feel I should point out that you should have said "There is no significant amount...". While the word "amount" usually refers to multiple things, the word itself is singular, and therefore takes a singular verb.
              Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
              "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Thanks for drawing attention to it, it's definitely an awkward sentence.
                Perhaps there is a better way of putting it altogether:

2.2: No Aikidoka are emerging in significant numbers with any success in professional MMA.
                video game reviews

Comment

Or, even more simply, "Aikidoka have not demonstrated significant success in MMA"
                  Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                  "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    Yoj - Typically I like your cynical style of posting, and it is generally formidable enough to dispense with half-witted trolls, but you're going to have to mount a more serious argument addressing a few of my premises if you want your opinion to have an impact on this argument.
                    I was going to, but you made conclusions with anecdotes, i presented a scenario instead of addressing each point, however, if you want to consider an alternate angle, skills that are usable in life are those which become subconscious processes, take driving, as a learner, everything is an effort, with real experience, a lot of the processes are automated and the conscious mind is left having to only deal with an overview of the whole, this is how we become adept at things. We dont fully understand it, but thats the model. in terms of compliant ukemi, there is never a need for it to become a subconscious act, and for aikidoka, it's still something they engage in order to do. Judoka, dont have that problem, because it happens at random times, forcing it to become a natural response. i suspect that model is also at the basis of alive training.

Comment

i've always considered starting aikido, just to kill time on the weekends. The inner ninja in me loves that stuff, but my inner bullshido won't let me go any lower then aikido.

also aikido is the bomb because of 0:35 onward

who doesnt want that?
                      Last edited by Dak; 4/08/2011 7:19pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                        also aikido is the bomb because of 0:35 onward
                        who doesnt want that?
                        WUT THe shIT?
                        video game reviews

Comment

That's aikido, at its most pointless.

Comment

More Like Aikidon't
                            video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                              i

also Judo is the bomb because of 0:00 onward

who doesnt want that?
                              Yes, quite.
                              sigpic

Comment

Typical class at Colin's "MMA" gym I assume.
                                sigpic

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X