Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Maybe I misread your rank in aikido after 8 years, and your rank in Judo after two years? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as teaching ukemi, being able to do it and being able to teach it are two different things.

Ben
    Firstly, I think it's interesting that my rank in Aikido is somehow more important to you than my actual level of experience, and in addition, I didn't even mention my Judo rank, and still haven't.
    video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
      One of ours managed a rolling ukemi over a car roof from his bicycle, when a lady pulled out in front of him.
      Like a month ago this happened to me while I was skateboarding. The roll over the car hood was nice and smooth, but when I slid off the edge of it my landing on the street was less than graceful. When I started getting up, the asshole sped away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
        What if you'd actually gotten decent at it?
        If I'd kept up the Muay Thai and MMA training then I might have actually developed some of the skills to closing distance and space rather than the self created retard rush.

A big problem was that we were practicing on a mat not in a cage or ring, so there was always space for the person to get away and if we got near the mat edge they could just step off and we had to restart.

Not trying to defend the retard rush, its only for noobs hence why I'm calling it the retard rush.

I also worked on a face punch de ashi barai combo, but that only worked on people even noobier than me. Was funny though.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Firstly, I think it's interesting that my rank in Aikido is somehow more important to you than my actual level of experience, and in addition, I didn't even mention my Judo rank, and still haven't.
          If you want to make a serious thread out of this, fine.

You mentioned being some sort of kyu grade in aikido, with 8 years of experience. That suggests to me that you didn't practice much, or steadily. I've known quite a few serious aikido practioners over the years, and 8 years is plenty of time to reach shodan. Your experience in Judo you noted 2 years, which could mean once a week for 2 years, etc. So, I assume you are some sort of kyu grade in Judo as well. With 2-4 days a week of training, you could be a sankyu. Not a teaching grade in Judo at all. Your ukemi would probably be pretty good, though, if you practiced steadily.

So, yes, rank is tied to experience level.

You might well be reasonably capable of teaching ukemi as a kyu grade aikidoka.

BTW, I'm not suggesting you not start these low grade troll threads at all, or any other thread at all for that matter based on whatever qualifications you might or might not have for the subject.

Ben
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            8 years is plenty of time to reach shodan.
            It certainly is. In fact, 5 years is pretty normal for Aikidoka.
            Over the 8 year period, I had different training patterns.
            average was 2 sessions per week for the first 5 years.
            I didn't really step up the pace until 2001, where I trained 3 sessions a week and taught one session (yep, teaching with no teaching rank OMG THE BLASPHEMY)

Trivia: 6th Kyu is the lowest Aikido rank in the organisation i was in.
            http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=204398700393
            video game reviews

Comment

Of course, rank/paperwork/years (remember Jason Brinn and his 15 years of experience?) is not all relevant, what really matters is skill and teaching abilities.

Video of Colin in MMA environment could be something useful to evaluate his performance at safe landings for combat sports.

Ed.

Colin,

Are the videoclips in the farcebook page you linked actual Fuji-ryu Aikido?

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                Are the videoclips in the farcebook page you linked actual Fuji-ryu Aikido?
                I don't know either of the people in the videos, if that means anything.
                Also, this is the Launceston Dojo - I was at the hobart Uni Dojo.

lol.. I just watched the tapes.
                I have no idea what they are doing in those videos.
                video game reviews

Comment

It certainly is. In fact, 5 years is pretty normal for Aikidoka.
                  Over the 8 year period, I had different training patterns.
                  average was 2 sessions per week for the first 5 years.
                  I didn't really step up the pace until 2001, where I trained 3 sessions a week and taught one session (yep, teaching with no teaching rank OMG THE BLASPHEMY)

Trivia: 6th Kyu is the lowest Aikido rank in the organisation i was in.
                  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=204398700393
                  Hey, if your teachers thought your were qualified to teach a session, that's up to them. Teach as much ukemi as you want, just don't expect anybody to be impressed automatically when you say you did aikido (or anything else for that matter) for 8 years with no other information.

Ben
                  Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Well, I know who they are.

Comment

You mean Christian Tissier?

Comment

In the other clip nage is Stefan Stenudd

I'm starting to have serious doubts about Colin having any aikido experience. But as he is a nice and funny guy I'll let it go.

The only concern I have is about someone buying his "I've 8 years of aikido experience so I can teach proper ukemi" IRL. This is an accident waiting to happen. We're not talking about the "third leg of judo" here.

Comment

pssssffffst, "third leg" hur hur hur
                          sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                          "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

DCS, have you had the chance to train with Tissier?

Comment

I had the chance to train with Tissier in feb.

Passed it up to do a kali course the weekend after. Kali course got cancelled

Doh!
                              sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                              "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

No, I've only trained with iwama style aikidoka.

I see you're in Cali. Are you going to attend to SF Aikido Project? It looks interesting.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X