Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is good to learn?

Hi.

There is a lady that I like, and I haven't seen in awhile. I plan on seeing her soon.

Rude people have made comments about us being together, and I didn't say anything, cause I wasn't sure if I would be able to defend myself if things got bad.

I would like to be able to tell rude people to mind their own business without worrying about not being able to defend myself.

What is good to learn?

Thank you.

How to talk to other people, fag. Now shut the fuck up.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido Daniel_Kemp. Don't mind Omega's wrath...he's the lone exception to the no trolling in newbietown rule.

I catch shit for having a gorgeous girlfriend, so I can empathize. There's no way around dealing with shit though. If you think it might escalate beyond words/looks, then consider Judo, or mma, or bjj...something with day to day practicality.

Ideally, if you want it to translate into self-defense, pick an art or combat sport, that trains with resistance, rather than compliance. This way, if you're forced to use what you've learned, you are still in somewhat familiar territory, as your opponent(s) certainly won't be compliant in the str33t.

Post where you live, and I'll see what I can look up...and don't be afraid of the search function up top...it is your friend.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_Kemp View Post
        What is good to learn?

Thank you.
        that is such a broad, encompasing question, before you post again i would suggest you read the thread adressed to you in the newbietown forum (there called stickies). but ill try to help you out. some good strikeing, and practicle arts you can look into: boxing, kyokushin, and muay thai. grappeling: bjj, wrestling, russian sambo. throwing/takedown: judo, hopkido.

really its about preferance and what your looking for as a means to defend yourself. just do some research, figure out what your looking for, then find what is available to you. beware of mcdojo's (phoney instructors), and omega the alpha troll (hes better than us). hope that helped.

but seriously, read the stickies or you wont last long here.

Comment

Originally posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
          Welcome to Bullshido Daniel_Kemp. Don't mind Omega's wrath...he's the lone exception to the no trolling in newbietown rule.

I catch shit for having a gorgeous girlfriend, so I can empathize. There's no way around dealing with shit though. If you think it might escalate beyond words/looks, then consider Judo, or mma, or bjj...something with day to day practicality.

Ideally, if you want it to translate into self-defense, pick an art or combat sport, that trains with resistance, rather than compliance. This way, if you're forced to use what you've learned, you are still in somewhat familiar territory, as your opponent(s) certainly won't be compliant in the str33t.

Post where you live, and I'll see what I can look up...and don't be afraid of the search function up top...it is your friend.
          Fuck you hippy.

Comment

You don't really need to learn Martial Arts to stick up for yourself. Training might help you build up self confidence and even social skills(How to talk smack without getting butthurt) but you can stick up for yourself without fighting.

Then again maybe if you are being bothered by a group of large drunk men saying nasty thing about your lady friend using your MA training probably won't help much.
            Either way here is a helpful little flowchart. Thanks to Honest_Truth.

Good Luck

http://imgur.com/0eVEv.jpg
            Last edited by The_Beak; 4/03/2011 9:38pm, . Reason: How do post pixs???

Comment

Hi bobyclumsyninja.

Right now I'm in North America, but my ladyfriend works in Asia, so I will be traveling there.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Originally posted by ericsenn View Post
              that is such a broad, encompasing question, before you post again i would suggest you read the thread adressed to you in the newbietown forum (there called stickies). but ill try to help you out. some good strikeing, and practicle arts you can look into: boxing, kyokushin, and muay thai. grappeling: bjj, wrestling, russian sambo. throwing/takedown: judo, hopkido.

really its about preferance and what your looking for as a means to defend yourself. just do some research, figure out what your looking for, then find what is available to you. beware of mcdojo's (phoney instructors), and omega the alpha troll (hes better than us). hope that helped.

but seriously, read the stickies or you wont last long here.
              Thank you for the tips ericsenn.

Originally posted by The_Beak View Post
              You don't really need to learn Martial Arts to stick up for yourself. Training might help you build up self confidence and even social skills(How to talk smack without getting butthurt) but you have to want to stick up for yourself.

Then again maybe if you are being bothered by a group of large drunk men saying nasty thing about your lady friend using your MA training probably won't help much.
              Either way here is a helpful little flowchart. Thanks to Honest_Truth.

Good Luck

http://imgur.com/0eVEv.jpg
              Thank you for the flowchart The_Beak.

Comment

Right now I'm in North America, but my ladyfriend works in Asia, so I will be traveling there.

Thank you for the recommendations.

I would recommend you learn the local laws and customs regarding foreigner's use of assault with intent to do bodily harm and likely disparate punishment meted out for such.

Then I would like for you to learn how to take Omega's initial advice and learn how to use a Fodor's Guide for wherever you are going so you might take your lady somewhere nice away from the fucktards hassling her.

Welcome.

Comment

no problem man. and if u give bobyclumbsninja a more specific location than "north america", he could be alot more helpful. start with country, then providence/state, then closest major city if your afraid of internet stalkers, or city you live in if your serious about protecting your girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    I would recommend you learn the local laws and customs regarding foreigner's use of assault with intent to do bodily harm and likely disparate punishment meted out for such.

Then I would like for you to learn how to take Omega's initial advice and learn how to use a Fodor's Guide for wherever you are going so you might take your lady somewhere nice away from the fucktards hassling her.

Welcome.
                    That's good advice. The laws are different in different countries.

Maybe I could find a club/dojo where a bunch of bartenders/bouncers train, become friends with them, then just take my ladyfriend to the place(s) where they work, and then I don't have to worry about being bugged by rude people.

Originally posted by ericsenn View Post
                    no problem man. and if u give bobyclumbsninja a more specific location than "north america", he could be alot more helpful. start with country, then providence/state, then closest major city if your afraid of internet stalkers, or city you live in if your serious about protecting your girl.
                    My ladyfriend lives near Seoul in South Korea, so a club/dojo in Seoul, or somewhere near there, would be cool.

Comment

He lives in Canada. Hence the retarded question.

Comment

@ Daniel_Kemp: my Google-search-fu is mighty, and will be unleashed, on your behalf. We don't need a DNA sample, just a city/country.

originally posted by Omega: Fuck you hippy.
                        I'll play hippy to you, because
                        1. I'm touched you insulted me personally.
                        2. I can't fold you up, like some of these fools
                        3. I could end up with a 'shitstain' tag, or something.

EDIT: Ok, I'm on it.
                        sigpic

Comment

@ Daniel_Kemp: my Google-search-fu is mighty, and will be unleashed, on your behalf. We don't need a DNA sample, just a city/country.

Hi bobyclumsyninja.

A club/dojo in/near Seoul in South Korea would be cool.

Thank you for helping.

Comment

EDIT: Ok, I'm on it.
                            You should have gone all pedantic on his ass for spelling "hippy" wrong. It's the only way you can possibly damage Omega on this elemental plane, kind of like how only an Oxygen Destroyer can truly destroy Godzilla.

It's "hippie".

"Hippy" is an adjective describing one's waistline.
                            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/03/2011 10:08pm, . Reason: Hippie!

Comment

That's good advice. The laws are different in different countries.
                              You also are minimizing the concept of admission of the laws and punishment is different in different countries AND towards foreign non-citizens of that country.

Maybe I could find a club/dojo where a bunch of bartenders/bouncers train, become friends with them, then just take my ladyfriend to the place(s) where they work, and then I don't have to worry about being bugged by rude people.
                              Or you could buy a book or Google nice places.
                              Your idea is fine, albeit much more time and work.

Seriously, are you wanting to actually train something because you want to train or because you think you are going to play White Knight?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X