What is good to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Since if you haven't heard of someone, clearly they don't train properly and aren't any good?
    Aboslutely! I am the sole arbiter of what is and is not proper.
    Both Koreas have produced Olympic level (and Olympic medal) judokas fairly regularly. AS FAR AS I KNOW, the Korean boxing scene has not enjoyed the same level of success. So I would suggest someone seeking effective training in Korea seek out a judo dojo, much as I would suggest traveler in Thailand go to a Muay Thai school, or a sojouner in Brazil hit up the BJJ scene.

If I'm wrong about Korean boxers please educate me.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_Kemp View Post
      Is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu useful in real life. If you have someone in a hold on the ground, then doesn't that make it easy for other people to kick you?
      Not knowing how to grapple on the ground makes it easiest for other people to kick you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
        Surely OP would have better luck finding a quality judo school in Korea than a boxing gym? Off the top of my head I cannot recall many great boxers/boxing coaches from Korea.

And if he's going to have to learn an one Non english language he might as well pick up some judo. Kosoto! Ko-ouchi! Osoto tani makkikommi harai nage!
        Most of them have been in the lighter weight catagories: straw, fly, feather and bantam.

The most notable one would be the guy Boom Boom Mancini killed, Duck Koo Kim (sp?)

Comment

Isn't Korean judo hazardous to your health?

Hazing and beating up on the foreigner type stuff. Can't cite anything this is just a vague memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            Most of them have been in the lighter weight catagories: straw, fly, feather and bantam.

The most notable one would be the guy Boom Boom Mancini killed, Duck Koo Kim (sp?)
            Fair enough. I'm not really a boxing buff....one you start bringing up guys from outside the U.S. who are not the Klitchsco brothers you've lost me. (Although I've heard good things about the Cuban boxing team...Communism or proximity thereof makes you a better boxer?).

It that case it's all down to what he wants to get out of his training.

Isn't Korean judo hazardous to your health?
            Hazing and beating up on the foreigner type stuff. Can't cite anything this is just a vague memory.
            Not going to argue with first hand experience but any time you walk into a new gym there's going to be a bit of "Chew the fresh meat" isn't there? I've heard of Japanese judoka throwing people off the mats and holding chokes...then again I've been thrown into walls by American wrestlers and had guys hold heel hooks on me (Well, one guy. And he was a blood relative) so what can you do?

Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 4/04/2011 10:43am, .

Comment

Fair enough. I'm not really a boxing buff....one you start bringing up guys from outside the U.S. who are not the Klitchsco brothers you've lost me. (Although I've heard good things about the Cuban boxing team...Communism or proximity thereof makes you a better boxer?).
              Since most Cubans can't turn pro, unless they defect, they generally field great Olympic teams as their National Team is equivalent to turning pro, example is Teofilo Stevenson.

It that case it's all down to what he wants to get out of his training.
              He is wanting it for the wrong reason. He don't want to train, he just doesn't want to be punked in front of his woman.

Comment

He is wanting it for the wrong reason. He don't want to train, he just doesn't want to be punked in front of his woman.
                In that case...has anyone said "Carry a gun yet"? An ivory handled revolver, for preference. Not pearl, though. Only a New Orleans pimp would carry a pearl handled revolver.

Comment

In that case...has anyone said "Carry a gun yet"? An ivory handled revolver, for preference. Not pearl, though. Only a New Orleans pimp would carry a pearl handled revolver.
                  I'm thinking he would have a difficult time getting a hold of a gun in the ROK

Comment

I'd save my dojo money to take my lady to somewhere that's not a dive bar where I have to facepunch jerks. My clever one liners would probably get lost in translation anyway.

Comment

I'm thinking he would have a difficult time getting a hold of a gun in the ROK
                      He's in the U.S. at the moment. correct? All he has to do is beat airport security...with the X-Ray machines...and the cavity searches...and...okay my idea, while a great excuse to paraphrase George C. Scott, was impractical. CURSE YOU, PRACTICALITY!

Permalost:
                      While the dive bar is a jerk's natural habitat, science has proven they can survive in almost any environment, including the depths of the space and the Earth's molten core. Besides, we're BULLSHIDO! (TM) we're supposed to encourage people to pay to get punched, slammed, kicked, armlocked, and choked. (That sounded better in my head)

Comment

Permalost:
                        While the dive bar is a jerk's natural habitat, science has proven they can survive in almost any environment, including the depths of the space and the Earth's molten core. Besides, we're BULLSHIDO! (TM) we're supposed to encourage people to pay to get punched, slammed, kicked, armlocked, and choked. (That sounded better in my head)
                        Well, you can at least find places where the jerks are easily defeated without martial arts, by stepping on their monocle or spilling their girly drink on their designer shirt.

Comment

He's in the U.S. at the moment. correct? All he has to do is beat airport security...with the X-Ray machines...and the cavity searches...and...okay my idea, while a great excuse to paraphrase George C. Scott, was impractical. CURSE YOU, PRACTICALITY!
                          He is in Canada.
                          No pewpewpew for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                            Well, you can at least find places where the jerks are easily defeated without martial arts, by stepping on their monocle...
                            I say old chap, that DOES sound rather unsporting.
                            video game reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              I say old chap, that DOES sound rather unsporting.
                              Sit down before I scuff your shoe and throw your galavanting stick into the fields! It'll take quite a constitutional to find it.

Comment

Next question:
                                Do you speak Korean?
                                If so, move on, if not, look for a gym that offers English/French instruction.

Until then, start running and skipping rope.
                                I can say "Hello" in Korean, but I'll see if I can find a boxing gym in/near Seoul that has English instruction.

Thank you for the tip Snake Plissken.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X