No announcement yet.

What is good to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're in luck. Straight-blast has a gym in Seoul.

from: http://www.straightblastgym.com/international.htm#Korea

Korea / Japan - Regional Director: John Frankl

SBGi Gyms:

41-303 Hanyang Apartments
    Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
    Tel: 011-82-10-6233-4752, (From Korea, it's 010-6233-4752)
    Email: [email protected]

Note: The above address is not the gym. Please call or email John for directions to the gym.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
      It's "hippie".

"Hippy" is an adjective describing one's waistline.

It's Been nice knowing you Rabbit.

Wait... no it hasn't.

OP you seem very concerned about fighting people. You need to know training a couple of weeks or even a couple of months probably won't be enough for you to pull this off:

Start at 11:30. (I have no Idea how to embed a video so it starts at a certain time.)
      Or better yet watch the song at the beginning. I was like DAMMMNN!!!

EDIT:
      Last edited by The_Beak; 4/03/2011 10:41pm, .

Comment

http://www.bjj-asia.com

This site has a great school listing for Korea. Scroll down, about a page's length. It's in the margin, on the right.

Obviously BJJ isn't the only option, but it is one. I'll keep looking.
        sigpic

Comment

This thread, here on Bullshido, has good information about what you're looking for.
          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=56879&page=1
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            You also are minimizing the concept of admission of the laws and punishment is different in different countries AND towards foreign non-citizens of that country.

Or you could buy a book or Google nice places.
            Your idea is fine, albeit much more time and work.

Seriously, are you wanting to actually train something because you want to train or because you think you are going to play White Knight?
            I just think a "man" should be able to defend himself and/or his lady, if they are being attacked physically.

And I have read that learning self-defense helps your confidence, which helps in many parts of your life.

Originally posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
            from: http://www.straightblastgym.com/international.htm#Korea

Korea / Japan - Regional Director: John Frankl

John began his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training in Los Angeles under the legendary Rickson Gracie. Rickson’s patient, methodical style as a fighter and attention to detail as a teacher are both evident in John’s approach to Jiu Jitsu. Following a year with Rickson, under whom he received his blue belt, John moved from Los Angeles to Boston to pursue his doctoral studies at Harvard University.

In Boston, John trained another eight years with Roberto Maia, founder of Boston Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a black belt under Carlos Gracie, Jr., and the cousin of Renzo Gracie and the Machado Brothers. Under Roberto, John received his purple, brown, and black belts. John was also fortunate to have the opportunity to train extensively with Claudio Franca whenever he visited his hometown of Santa Cruz, CA. After nine years of continuous and dedicated study, John is among the elite group of Americans black belts.

John’s academic and martial arts careers have long overlapped. His travels allowed him to train and fight not only all over the U.S., but also in Brazil, Thailand, the Philippines, and Japan. John also founded Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Korea, where he has often lived for extended periods of study and research. His academy, Seoul Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, has now grown into the nationwide organization, Korea Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

SBGi Gyms:

41-303 Hanyang Apartments
            Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
            Tel: 011-82-10-6233-4752, (From Korea, it's 010-6233-4752)
            Email: [email protected]

Note: The above address is not the gym. Please call or email John for directions to the gym.

Thank you bobyclumsyninja.

Is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu useful in real life. If you have someone in a hold on the ground, then doesn't that make it easy for other people to kick you? I'm not saying I would ever put someone in a hold on the ground, I am more interested in taking something that is useful in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_Kemp View Post
              I just think a "man" should be able to defend himself and/or his lady, if they are being attacked physically.
              Yes, of course, however a "GENTLEMAN" takes his lady to places where these concerns are virtually non-existent.

Again, I ask, are you wanting to train because it is something you have always had interested in and had always had the desire to do
              or
              because you want to impress this lady

and seriously, why would your lady be attacked before you?

And I have read that learning self-defense helps your confidence, which helps in many parts of your life.
              My theory is training has allowed me the confidence to be able to walk away from situations a lesser man would be lured into. I can chose not to escalate because I know I could likely hurt the other person and make myself legally accountable for what happens.

However all bets are off when you are a foreigner in a foreign country.

Comment

he should
                it does

Is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu useful in real life. If you have someone in a hold on the ground, then doesn't that make it easy for other people to kick you? I'm not saying I would ever put someone in a hold on the ground, I am more interested in taking something that is useful in real life.
                It is very useful, but I'd advise adding boxing, or some kind of standup training. If you are able to afford it, do so. As a core style bjj is very good anyway, as so much of fighting involves tussling, tackling, pushy pushy, grabbing, roll-in-ball-on-ground, floor writhing and...well, you get the point.

I'll look up some other styles. I'm back and forth, as I'm uploading gig footage to facebook.
                sigpic

Comment

http://www.koreasambo.com/

Team Tackle: http://www.letswrestling.net (Seoul,and Ulsan).

Daegu MMA (in Daegu) http://www.daegumma.com

Dong In MMA 019-588-7393
                  instructor (Park Hyun Kabspeaks) speaks English. Foreigners welcome. Gi, No GI, MMA
                  [email protected]
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
                    http://www.koreasambo.com/

Team Tackle: http://www.letswrestling.net (Seoul,and Ulsan).

Daegu MMA (in Daegu) http://www.daegumma.com

Dong In MMA 019-588-7393
                    instructor (Park Hyun Kabspeaks) speaks English. Foreigners welcome. Gi, No GI, MMA
                    [email protected]
                    bob you are consistantly one of the most helpful people here on bullshido, and i would like to take the time to commend you for your selfless, helpful, and informitive posts. thank you sir, you do all of us newbies a great courtesy.

Comment

Most of those holds (submissions) end in a couple of ways, if you want them to:
                      You either apply full force to the submission rather than waiting for a tap. This breaks or hyperextends a joint.
                      You hold the choke for several seconds and your opponent passes out.

Comment

It's a misconseption, BJJ is just as much about ground fighting as it is about stopping a fight going to the ground or if it does being able to escape and get back to your feet as quick as possible. It's a good solid base to start your journey into self defence.

Later you can add some striking and then your set.

Comment

A few thoughts...

First, Snake and Bobby, you're both right:

A man is expected to keep his lady out of trouble.
                          But then, sometimes, you can't do anything about it.
                          - And you see that once, you want it to happen never again.

Second, as to the OP, you should consider your own motivation,
                          and what training will really bring you.

Are you looking for MA training out of anger, or hurt pride?
                          You won't get far.

Are you looking for an immediate solution to your problems?
                          You won't find that in a discipline that takes years to master.

Are you having self-confidence issues, are out of shape, overweight, or whatever?
                          The sport will help, but other things will have to change, too.

Now, is *martial arts* a vaild method to solve any impending issues of harassment?
                          Hell, no. If you're getting assaulted or stalked, change your location, or stay home.

That said, learn Muay Thai, not a style primarily based on ground-fighting.
                          Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 4/04/2011 4:15am, .
                          www.childsplaycharity.org

Comment

Originally posted by ericsenn View Post
                            bob you are consistantly one of the most helpful people here on bullshido, and i would like to take the time to commend you for your selfless, helpful, and informitive posts. thank you sir, you do all of us newbies a great courtesy.
                            It's because he is trying to get into your pants!

Comment

Originally posted by Like_A_Boss View Post
                              It's because he is trying to get into your pants!
                              ..... eh, ill allow it

Comment

Originally posted by ericsenn View Post
                                ..... eh, ill allow it
                                As you should.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X