Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: What's more retarded than the martial arts section of reddit?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Q: What's more retarded than the martial arts section of reddit?

    A: The new section specifically for instructing people how to fight.

    You may or may be not be familiar with reddit - a website where mouth breathers like to re-post links to things that they found on reddit, discuss at length how much more cleverer they are than people on youtube and digg, and generally circle-jerk themselves into a stupor. There was a How Do Armbar? thread here about reddit's martial arts section a short while back - long story short, it sucks.

    Anyway the other day some genius started a thread asking if it would be a good idea to start a section specifically for teaching people how to fight. To their credit, there was actually a reasonable response from the posters there, basically saying that it was a lame idea. The OP took this advice to heart, thought about it, and decided to start up his "learn to fight" sub forum anyway.

    It's still in embryonic stage, but I predict big things from it.

    http://www.reddit.com/r/learntofight

    #2
    Hilarity will ensue. As a (semi) serious martial arts website we get enough tomfoolery here but thats going to be hilarious. It reminds me of a current affairs/news site I used to post on years ago where after an article on prostitues in asia being taught Kung Fu for the anti-rape, every chump on the site was suddenly an expert and weeks of funny and sometimes down right scary theories on martial arts were posted.

    Ah I had a lot of fun trolling there, I might sign up for this one too.
    Ne Obliviscaris

    Comment


      #3
      I just noticed the description

      This is a placed for redditors to learn basic self-defense and fighting skills. Posts are made by experienced martial artists and provide basic advice on defending oneself and ensuring personal safety.
      (Emphasis mine)

      To be honest though the thing will probably be a ghost town. I should have waited to see if something was going to happen with it before I posted this thread.

      Comment


        #4
        one of the threads there, leads to this

        ninjas....I knew it.
        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          I don't think he's ever been choked properly, otherwise he wouldn't make up such stupid techniques.

          Comment


            #6
            WTF Nintaijutsu???? He's watering down the art.
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              The best defence in that situation:

              Be the big guy on the left, not the little guy on the right.
              sigpic

              When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

              "what's the best thing about aikido then?"
              "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
                one of the threads there, leads to this

                ninjas....I knew it.
                I will escape your choke and present my back to you as a gift 'out of love'!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
                  Hilarity will ensue. As a (semi) serious martial arts website we get enough tomfoolery here but thats going to be hilarious. It reminds me of a current affairs/news site I used to post on years ago where after an article on prostitues in asia being taught Kung Fu for the anti-rape, every chump on the site was suddenly an expert and weeks of funny and sometimes down right scary theories on martial arts were posted.

                  Ah I had a lot of fun trolling there, I might sign up for this one too.
                  I was going to sign up there and post something silly - maybe something about the foot being the most effective area to strike in a self-defence situation... with a fist (something pulled from that 'worst techniques I've ever been shown' thread, IIRC - that made me giggle). Then I saw that the section is moderated.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Probably not enough real traffic for that kind of monkey business to bear fruit.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by CrackFox View Post
                      I just noticed the description

                      This is a placed for redditors to learn basic self-defense and fighting skills. Posts are made by experienced martial artists and provide basic advice on defending oneself and ensuring personal safety.
                      (Emphasis mine)

                      To be honest though the thing will probably be a ghost town. I should have waited to see if something was going to happen with it before I posted this thread.
                      Maybe some "experienced martial artists" from Bullshido should go over to that site and provide some "advice one defending oneself and ensuring personal safety." You know, only t3h r341 d34dly techniques.

                      EDIT - Never mind. I see that you two (just above) already thought of trolling them.
                      Last edited by Bahuyuddha; 4/03/2011 12:23am, .

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I've always tried my best to answer responsibly on /r/boxing.

                        That being said, I swear people troll it half the time. Especially glove related questions. *Sigh*

                        On that note: http://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comme...r_need_advice/

                        Hrrmmm. The first example of people sparring in a UFC Gym that *I've* seen. Where was the supervision or coaching staff during all of this that this gentleman had to ask /r/boxing for help?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
                          one of the threads there, leads to this

                          ninjas....I knew it.
                          I always figured that now MMA is getting popular people would be going for RNCs rather than those weird standing chokes.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Everyone on there has no business teaching someone how to defend themselves or fight and should really shut up. They're all stroking their egos so hard they don't realize how much they suck and that none of them have the slightest clue about fighting, self defense OR the martial arts, to the point of not knowing the definition for either of those things but kind of morphing them into one weird little package which won't work for any of them. :-/

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I signed up. I used my bullshido name though, so I don't think I'll troll. Perhaps answer a few questions.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X