No announcement yet.

questions about ninjutsu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combat SAMBO has more strikes than Judo or BJJ, while also having takedowns and ground work, but the striking isn't on par with Muay Thai or Kyokushin or Boxing. If you want to be truly well rounded the best option is to train at an MMA school or pick one effective ground art (Judo, BJJ, SAMBO, Wrestling) and one effective standup art (Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin) and train both. It's extremely difficult to find a single art that encompasses all ranges.
    sigpic

Comment

understandable and thank you for your input. im familiar with all the styles you mentioned except Combat SAMBO and kyokushin. ill have to research those. thanks again!

Comment

Integrity Martial Arts, Spokane Washington

Hello, im looking into a school in Spokane washington called integrity martial arts, and i was wondering if anybody has heard anything about them or there 3rd Dan Kukkiwon Certified instructor Dominic Schwebs.

Any information is appreciated, what youve heard of him and his class, if hes had any good students, won any major tournements or competitions, that sort of stuff.

In his classes he suposedly teaches taekwando, hapkido, and judo. and he also claim to be an avid competitor in Taekwondo and Jiujitsu competitions. so if anyones seen him around, please, do tell.

as always thanks!

Comment

Help us out here. What research have you done so far? Do they have a website? Have you Googled the school or the instructor or any of the people involved? Have you visited the school, if so, what were your impressions?

Any of this info you have and can share will help us help you. If you haven't done any of that, start there.
          Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
          "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Originally posted by ericsenn View Post
            understandable and thank you for your input. im familiar with all the styles you mentioned except Combat SAMBO and kyokushin. ill have to research those. thanks again!
            If you have experience boxing, learn a few kicks and DO JUDO.
            Both Pacific Judo and Spokane Judo are $20/month. Seriously, do Judo
            Pacific Judo Website
            http://www.spokanejudo.com/
            Last edited by Jim_Jude; 4/01/2011 12:03am, .
            "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
            ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
            ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
            ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Comment

ya i found there website, looked up the instructor, and what i said in the above post was all it really said about him.

this is the link to there website
              http://www.spokanemartialarts.com/home

and this is the link to there master and other instructor's
              http://www.spokanemartialarts.com/instructors

i already called them about sitting in on one of there classes and they said that was ok with them. im just new to martial arts and not sure what to look for in a class/school/dojo what ever you call it

Comment

do you know if they implement alive training?

Comment

welcome to Bullshido,

if you need self-defense, and it's Judo or ninpo, then it's Judo.

Judo is everything 'Ninpo' is not. Aliveness, practicality, focus, non-self-bullshttery, usefulness etc etc. Both will help your fitness level, but the similarity ends there...for the most part.
                  sigpic

Comment

At first glance, although they claim to teach TKD, Hapkido and Judo, the site makes it appear that they're primarily a TKD school. One of the common McDojo tactics to beware of is the school claiming multiple arts when they're only actually qualified to teach one. I.e. claiming Judo when they've learned a couple throws out of a book or something. I can't say one way or the other whether that's happening here, but if you visit, be aware of the possibility.

As for your visit, start off by considering for yourself what you really want out martial arts study. Realistic combat training? Sports competition? Athleticism and flashy moves? Simply getting in shape? Some combination of these, or something else entirely. There's no wrong answer, but it helps to figure out what you want first. Then you'll have a better means to judge your impressions of a school.

If you feel like sharing your thoughts on that, we can help give you some ideas of what to look for in a school. Also, you'll probably get some suggestions for specific martial arts relative to those goals. Take them as suggestions, but ultimately I advise picking the art you feel best for you.
                    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

This place looks promising.

pacificjudoacademy.com

Welcome to the Pacific Judo Academy web site
                      Judo in Spokane since 1957
                      The dojo is located at the Spokane Regional Police Training Center
                      2302 N. Waterworks St. Spokane
                      Mail Address: 2504 N. Elizabeth Rd.
                      Spokane, WA. 99212
                      Classes are on Tuesday and Thursday at 7:00 p.m. Visitors welcome.

Instructors

Head Instructor: Bob Harder 6th Dan (509) 922-2300
                      Assistant Instructors:
                      • Bud Meagley 5th Dan
                      • Gary Warren 4th Dan
                      • Wayne Hughes, Steve Braun 3rd Dan
                      • Josephine Harder, Steve Olson 2nd Dan

Coaches:
                      • Rich Gere
                      • Rob Layne
                      • Missy Tashiro
                      • Danny Beaudry
                      • Christian Lehinger
                      • Vicki Sattler 1 st Dan

Technical Advisor: Bob Mager 4 Dan

sigpic

Comment

agreed! btw bobyclumsyninja, doubt your interested but im actually from brockton massachusetts. not boston i know but its only like 30 minutes away lol

Comment

while all of those sound like things i would like to get out of my studies, my ultimate goal is just to recieve the best fighting training i can get. im kind of a take nothing half hardedly guy. if im going for something i wanna try to be the best. im not claiming i want to be the worlds best martial artist, i just want the best training im going to get in spokane, the most bang for my buck. so if that makes sense thats ultimatly what im looking for.

as for what im looking for in a martial art, i want something well rounded, with both strikeing and grappeling/takedowns/locks. i know thats alot to ask for as most only focous on one. thats why i got enthused when i say that site, because they seem to teach the best of both worlds along with hopkido for bonus points. when i called the school for there information on sitting in on a class, i asked him about the multiple styles and i believe the person i talked to said the class mainly teaches TKD and goes on there grading system but implements hopkido/judo moves and techniques. at least im pretty sure thats what he said. ill make sure to ask again when i observe the class.

and as you mentioned, because of that multiple arts thing i became a little leary of the skill of the class. im not saying it isnt, i just formed uncomfirmed biases. it just seemed a little too good to be true.

and i feel giving you a little back ground into my martial art background might give you a better understanding of what i want/am looking for. when i was in my early teens i took boxing for two years but never really did anything with it other than train and some friendly sparring matches, then moved across the country and stopped taking classes. in my high school, wrestling is a huge thing. i live in a redneck town outside of spokane and we have won our state wrestling compitition the last 4 years in a row. kids in this town are raised since birth in wrestling. they have little guy wrestling year round, wrestling summer camps, non school season tournements i.e. grecko roman. its a big deal here. i never wrestled before joined my junior year, were as everyone else had been wrestling since age 7. the coaches of our team were the fathers of kids in my grade. it goes back generations and its rediculous. if u know anything about wrestling our head coach is matt jorgenson and i guess hes a big deal. anyway i did that for a year, and got mercilessly destroyed in practices, but didnt do horrible on the mat for my first year seeing as how i had very good coaches.

so i have a little bit of a wrestling and boxing background and just am looking for something that will strengthen both of those aspects and work on my biggest weakness, kicking.

Comment

that message came across as though im still in highschool, i graduated in 09.

Comment

Originally posted by ericsenn View Post
                              agreed! btw bobyclumsyninja, doubt your interested but im actually from brockton massachusetts. not boston i know but its only like 30 minutes away lol
                              You may learn something from this documentary:
                              When Ninjas Attack!

(I'm not trolling, btw)
                              Last edited by Jim_Jude; 4/01/2011 3:38am, .
                              "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
                              ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
                              ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
                              ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Comment

"ninja joke, very funny." haha while hillarious i dont see the relievece to this thread. when i started it, i was asking about it not because it would make me a ninja, infact i was and am still unaware of any link between Bujinkan budo taijutsu and ninjaness (not saying there isnt one i just didnt know there was), but because i wanted to know more about it and if there were any schools by were i lived. now after the help of these very well informed gentalmen i have moved past that thought due to its inpracticality.

but thank you for sharing that. im gonna start watching it, it looks awesome. also check a near by dictionary for the proper meaning of the word documentary... i believe it will be eye opening for you.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X