Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far is too far to travel? (personal thoughts and opinions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't want to travel more than an hour each way. However, I normally take the train when it is a long distance (which may not be possible in some parts of the US, as I'm told public transport over there isn't very good), which means I can get things done on my laptop on the way there and the way back.

If it is close enough to walk or cycle (e.g., 30-40 minutes), there are podcasts to listen to, or something like Pimsleur language learning (which handily is all audio). I find long journeys feel far less tiresome when you can get something useful done at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by slideyfoot View Post
      I normally take the train when it is a long distance (which may not be possible in some parts of the US, as I'm told public transport over there isn't very good), which means I can get things done on my laptop on the way there and the way back.
      Here in South Africa the only time you take the train is if you want to be violently molested, and if you brought a laptop onboard you would be stoned to death for witch craft.

Comment

Originally posted by Like_A_Boss View Post
        Here in South Africa the only time you take the train is if you want to be violently molested, and if you brought a laptop onboard you would be stoned to death for witch craft.
        Hah - if I was training in South Africa, I'd probably want transport to the academy in an armoured car. However, that's because I'm a typically sheltered middle-class white guy living in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGalt View Post
          Sorry, meant to say over two hours round trip.
          Just wanted to say @MrGalt, I'm glad to see that you are still okay after the events of last week. I hope you didn't suffer any damage or loss by the earthquake/tsunami.

Now onto the topic at hand. I really wouldn't consider traveling that far seeing as how you appear to have access to good training within walking distance. I mean Muay Thai, Judo and BJJ are all really close to you. I think that most of us on this site would agree with me that you should abandon the search for PM Kung Fu and get into one of these three places.

Comment

Everyone that has taken the time to offer their insights, thoughts and opinions has been nothing short of total class acts. Thank you. I believe I'm beginning to see the light!
            If it's okay I'd like to bring up something that is rather important to me.
            I did start a thread elsewhere regarding this, so I hope it's not impolite to attempt to get further thoughts from all of you. (especially considering how very helpful and informative you've been).
            I have a pretty bad case of adrenal fear/freeze when confronted with an unavoidable physical/violent confrontation. It feels like I have friggin 100 pound weights attached to my hands. It sucks.
            I good pal of mine who is a former marine and a boxer agrees with what many of you have offered as advice which is: don't buy into the hokus pokus and train in something that is live and spars without compliance like boxing, MT or judo.
            I guess I'm actually very, very lucky to have some of these within walking distance.
            Anyway, any experiences, thoughts or opinions you can offer regarding live training (BJJ, kickboxing etc) and how it helps to remedy adrenal freeze up would be righteous and really appreciated. Cheers.

Comment

The best way to learn how to deal with people punching you in the face is to have people punching you in the face in free sparring. This is why sport martial arts most of the time prepare you better for real life confrontation than so-called "self defense" arts.

Comment

You will never get over that adrenaline dump through compliant training. You will always know the difference, even if subconsciously. Your brain will tell your body "Shit just got real, son," and it'll be all over. In hard training and eventually competition you can provoke that adrenaline dump in a safe, controlled environment. You can do it over and over again without incurring serious injury until you begin to desensitize yourself. That's the value of live training. All the "grab my wrist" practice and cool-looking forms in the world aren't going to do that for you.

Comment

If you are spending more time getting to and from training than you are spending on the mat, you're either travelling too far, or not training enough.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X