Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far is too far to travel? (personal thoughts and opinions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of curiosity. How far do you think is too far to travel for training?
    I know some of y'all are really hardcore and would walk over 10,000 miles of poisonous snakes and broken glass to train, but I'm just a regular dude with a wife, kids and blue collar job.
    So with that said...
    There is a Southern Praying Mantis school that was going to open very near me, but now it is about a 1 hr drive. (Gas prices, wear and tear on vehicle) :(
    The thing is I have Muay Thai school, a combat hapkido school, a BJJ school AND a Modern Arnis school (that's 4 friggin' schools) all literally within walking distance!
    Then there is a judo school (10-15 min drive), a kali (about 20 min)and a wing chun school (also about 10-15 minute drive)
    I'm just hoping to get some thoughts and opinions on what some of you might honestly do.
    Man, I've always been really intrigued and interested in southern mantis, but the logistics are kind of making it unfeasable it seems.

if it's not convenient and enjoyable, chances are you're not going to do it.

Comment

Do bjj and/or muay thai. Save fuel and time. Use new found time and money to buy Southern Mantis books and dvds if still interested.

Comment

I also posted this question on the Chinese traditional forum. I hope that's cool.
        Just curious, How far do you think is too far to travel for training?
        I know some of you are really hardcore and would walk on you hands and knees over 10,000 miles of poisonous snakes and broken glass to train, but I'm just a regular dude with a wife, kids and blue collar job.
        So with that said...
        There is a Southern Praying Mantis KF school that was very near me, but now it is about a 1 hr drive. (Gas prices, wear and tear on vehicle) :(
        The thing is I have Muay Thai school, a combat hapkido school, a BJJ school AND a Modern Arnis school (that's 4 friggin' schools) all literally within walking distance!
        Then there is also a judo school (10-15 min drive), a kali (about 20 min)and a wing chun school (also about 10-15 minute drive)
        I'm just hoping to get some thoughts and opinions on what some of you might honestly do.
        Man, I've always been really intrigued and interested in southern mantis (and southern Chinese styles in general), but the logistics are kind of making it unfeasable it seems.
        (BTW judoka, boxers, wrestlers etc please feel free to give any thoughts/opinions on the bullshido-ness of southern mantis or southern KF in general. I'm a bloke searching so I'm not gonna get all offended or anything. Thanxxx!)

Comment

Originally posted by more cowbell View Post
          I also posted this question on the Chinese traditional forum. I hope that's cool.
          Just curious, How far do you think is too far to travel for training?
          I know some of you are really hardcore and would walk on you hands and knees over 10,000 miles of poisonous snakes and broken glass to train, but I'm just a regular dude with a wife, kids and blue collar job.
          So with that said...
          There is a Southern Praying Mantis KF school that was very near me, but now it is about a 1 hr drive. (Gas prices, wear and tear on vehicle) :(
          Then there is also a judo school (10-15 min drive), a kali (about 20 min)and a wing chun school (also about 10-15 minute drive)
          Man, I've always been really intrigued and interested in southern mantis (and southern Chinese styles in general), but the logistics are kind of making it unfeasable it seems.
          (BTW judoka, boxers, wrestlers etc please feel free to give any thoughts/opinions on the bullshido-ness of southern mantis or southern KF in general. I'm a bloke searching so I'm not gonna get all offended or anything. Thanxxx!)
          Problem solved. You learn to fight and do your part to slow global warming all in one.

Comment

Depends on what you really want to learn, and who the teachers are. . . I have a TKD, BJJ, and karate school down the street but drive an hour twice a week to train Hung Gar. It's what I love, and the teacher is very good. Depends on your desire.

Comment

Don't cross post multiple threads in multiple forums again. Put it in one forum and wait for responses.

Threads merged.

Comment

He didn't want people to have to travel to the other thread, it was too far.

Comment

Snake Plissken's last post was friggin' brilliant! hahaha!
                  "He didn't want people to have to travel to the other thread, it was too far."
                  Love it! Honestly, my friend thank you for the levity and the laugh. Cheers.
                  Great replies so far everyone, thanxxx.
                  I'm a knuckle headed shido newbie it seems. I apologoze for the cross posting, it wont happen again.
                  I'm starting to get with the computer/forum politeness slowly but surely! (Who you callin' Shirley!)
                  BTW, Rob, you got me thinkin' for sure bro. Keep training dude!

Comment

Just out of curiosity. How far do you think is too far to travel for training?
                    Really depends on you -- what you are willing to spend and how much you really want to train at that place.

I know some of y'all are really hardcore and would walk over 10,000 miles of poisonous snakes and broken glass to train, but I'm just a regular dude with a wife, kids and blue collar job.
                    I walk a whopping 1 mile from work to train, and then I take the bus home. I'm hard core that way.

Comment

When the gym was in Rosslindale, it took us 45 minutes...but now I live at the edge of the city, and they merged with Redline in Cambridge, it would be more like an hour and change..possibly 2 hours, the way the T is. It's why my schedule, with playing every day into the evening, makes in nearly impossible. I do what I can at home, but I'm spoiled on good schools, and wouldn't want to settle for a local local one.

Comment

I'd pick the Muay Thai or BJJ school. Good arts, fresh air and saves you gas money. Also lets you spend more time with the family because you don't have to cover the same distances.

Comment

I used to drive 80 miles each way for Isshinryu. At the time it seemed like a good idea. Now I wish I had spent all that time skipping rope, because if I had, by now I could probably do something really cool with a rope.

Distance is really important. You're talking about committing over two hours each way of your time plus what, four, five gallons of gas? At today's prices you're talking about spending nearly twenty dollars a class (I'm just guessing you're American) before you even begin to write the tuition check. That's going to add up to a lot of missed training. Sometimes you're not going to have time. Sometimes you're not going to have money. Life will get in the way to a degree it wouldn't when you're training somewhere in your neighborhood.

I used to work out at a cheap gym about a half hour drive from my apartment when I lived in the US. Hit the snooze button once and I'm missing a workout because I just don't have time for the roundtrip drive plus the workout. Now I pay about $120 a month for a gym that's only open 14h/6d/w because it's a 90 second walk from my apartment. It's worth it to me because I know if my alarm goes off at 8 o'clock I can be dressed and standing in the squat rack at 8:10.

Honestly when you do have four hours and twenty bucks to spare you're going to be doing a martial art that's probably little better than interpretive dance unless you found the only Praying Mantis school I've ever heard of that trains with aliveness. I suppose that might not matter to you, but for some reason you posted this thread on Bullshido instead of MAP, so I'm thinking it must a little.

Comment

If I cant get a parking space infront of my gyms door I turn around and go home. Oh and do BJJ or MT, or both!

Comment

Sorry, meant to say over two hours round trip.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X