Confront or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confront or Not?

A very nice, sincere young man came in to my school last night to try out a couple of classes. After he signed the waivers, etc. I started working with him, chatting about his experience and what he's looking for from training with us. He was looking to broaden his experience in MA, but his foundation was "Karate, Pressure Point stuff mostly, studied under George Dillman".
    I bit my tongue, didn't ask a single thing about it (that was hard) and just focused on the sort of introductory stuff we typically show new/prospective students.

Should I try to guide the guy to find out more about Dillman?
    (I am an assistant instructor, not the school owner.)

If so, how to discreetly direct him?

I've never actually met any adult who bought into the Dillman thing, much less trained with the guy...

Confront makes it sound like you are starting with the wrong attitude to approach anyone.

The best thing to do is teach him the correct way unless or until, he really starts talking about the deadly. He's already taking a step in the right direction. If anything, when you spar, suggest he try out the PP stuff in a safe manner.

That will go much further than possibly upsetting a new student.

Comment

I agree with Is it Fake.

If you start informing him directly, he'll most likely take it as one MA style bashing another (considering your an assistant instructor, even though that has nothing to do with it) and that will put him off.

However there's nothing stopping you broading his horizons/view indirectly but pointing him to informed MA sites.

-Ken

Comment

Stick with teaching what you know. It's not your job to crush his fantasies about his deadly pp skills. If anything just make sure he can defend himself with whatever you teach if he finds himself in a situation where he actually needs something that works.

Comment

Kill George Dillman. Then cut off his head and put it up as a trophy in your gym.

(Too much?)

Comment

ItIsFake is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
              Kill George Dillman. Then cut off his head and ABSORB HIS POWERS WTIH THE QUICKENING!
              Better.

Comment

Choke him the fuck on out and when he comes to, ask him if he likes your pressure point stuff.

Comment

Train him like any other student and watch while he works out the bullshit for himself...or doesn't and leaves...either way.

Comment

If he is as sincere as you think then he'll catch on. From what I understand Dillman focuses on the 'correct' application of kata/forms at least as he sees it. As neither JKD or BJJ have forms he may come to realise his previous training isn't relevant particularly if he finds himself squeezing someone's wrist to no great effect whilst his face is being used for target practise.

OR this guy can make Dillman's deadly shit work and your guys start dropping like flies!

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                      Confront makes it sound like you are starting with the wrong attitude to approach anyone.

The best thing to do is teach him the correct way unless or until, he really starts talking about the deadly. He's already taking a step in the right direction. If anything, when you spar, suggest he try out the PP stuff in a safe manner.

That will go much further than possibly upsetting a new student.
                      I did use the words "guide" and "discreetly" in the post. The use of "confront" was advertising to get more feedback.

I'll let the Dillman thing lie unless he brings it up. If anything interesting happens, I'll try to retell it here. Thankfully the guy doesn't seem like a know-it-all.

Comment

Probably just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't try to peddle Dillman's horseshit to the other students.

Otherwise, choke him until he starts having fun.

Comment

Failing that you could always point him in the direction of the National Geographic Documentary where Dillman states his method doesn't work if the person you are trying to KO is a skeptic, wiggles their toes or moves their tongue!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSzSflkns8

Comment

Originally posted by tao.jonez View Post
                            I did use the words "guide" and "discreetly" in the post. The use of "confront" was advertising to get more feedback.
                            Yes, and you also said you "bit your tongue" used "confront" in the title and that it was "hard." I just called it on how I read your post , sugar coated came to mind, and gave you advice.

Comment

Be sure to keep your toe up when he uses the dim mak on you!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X