Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judo Tournament results: I was 30lbs lighter and was the lowest ranked person there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judo Tournament results: I was 30lbs lighter and was the lowest ranked person there.

Annnnnnnddddd I still got 2nd place out of 5. I got 3 of the 4 matches including the one I lost.

Round 1:

Round 2:

round 3:

I messed up the gi choke because when I saw the guy's eyes roll back into his head I loosened up and he just spun. So I let him keep spinning and choked the life out of him. I don't think I'll step up 30lbs again. That was too difficult.

Well done Sirc, looks like fun wish I coulda been there! (Hell, anywhere for shiai for that matter!)

Comment

Big deal, so you finished in what... the top 40%? That's barely the upper half. Come back when you have something worth bragging about.

Kidding, kidding. Congrats man, 2nd place when fighting against the odds is definitely something to be proud of. Keep up the good work, and keep bringing the vids. We Bullshidoka of all people should be keeping video records of our badassedness.
      Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
      "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

So are they giving you a stripe yet?

Comment

No idea. :\

Comment

Who teaches you Judo, again, Omega?

Do you know why you lost?

Comment

No, Omega is his SAMBO coach.

Comment

nicely done :)

don't ease up on the choke just because his eyes roll back lol if he doesn't tap and the ref doesn't call mate, just choke his ass out.

i eased up on a choke once when the guy started gurgling. he rolled into me and i lost the choke, and later the match.

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                  Who teaches you Judo, again, Omega?

Do you know why you lost?
                  Immamura Sensei from the Fresno Judo Club. He's a 9th Dan. Omega teaches me SAMBO and kung fu.

Please tell me your thoughts. So far as I understand it, I just wasn't quick enough on the draw. That was my first match and I didn't get to warm up, every time I saw a chance to counter, I didn't, despite my ability to do so. My brain said, "GO!" and my body was like, "Oh, I'm sorry, what?". Bad posture and bad timing. I tried to muscle the guy, but probably a bad idea since he outweighed me by 30lbs. Anything else?

Originally posted by Aaron_ View Post
                  nicely done :)

don't ease up on the choke just because his eyes roll back lol if he doesn't tap and the ref doesn't call mate, just choke his ass out.

i eased up on a choke once when the guy started gurgling. he rolled into me and i lost the choke, and later the match.
                  It's cool, on the second attempt, I was like, "NO. You will go out now."

Comment

Originally posted by Sirc View Post
                    Immamura Sensei from the Fresno Judo Club. He's a 9th Dan. Omega teaches me SAMBO and kung fu.
                    Makes sense because they're doing a good Judo transforming you from Asian ladyboy to a Judoka.

Originally posted by Sirc View Post
                    Please tell me your thoughts. So far as I understand it, I just wasn't quick enough on the draw. That was my first match and I didn't get to warm up, every time I saw a chance to counter, I didn't, despite my ability to do so. My brain said, "GO!" and my body was like, "Oh, I'm sorry, what?". Bad posture and bad timing. I tried to muscle the guy, but probably a bad idea since he outweighed me by 30lbs. Anything else?
                    Bad posture is pretty much it. You allowed him to pull your head down and break your posture, which against a taller and heavier opponent means that its not a question of if you're going to be thrown, but when. Even for great Judo players, see Koga vs Ogawa.

So that domineering grip and breaking of your posture meant you couldn't attack and he was able to get that Russian grip and throw you.

I'm sure Imamura sensei will be able to show you all the fine details of how to stop that happening, but the basics are to keep mobile, shoulder roll to escape the grip, get upright and break the grip off.

I thought for a green belt/ 3rd kyu (?) you did pretty well considering the weight difference. Your Sasae was nice and your newaza was aggressive, but in a controlled way.

Try and quit the beginner habit of walking around with your hands out wide as if you're holding a giant beachball. You want your hands in close to your body to defend your jacket and try and take control of your opponent. Again Imamura sensei can show you all the specifics.

Comment

Well done dude. Thanks for the videos.

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                        Makes sense because they're doing a good Judo transforming you from Asian ladyboy to a Judoka.

Bad posture is pretty much it. You allowed him to pull your head down and break your posture, which against a taller and heavier opponent means that its not a question of if you're going to be thrown, but when. Even for great Judo players, see Koga vs Ogawa.

So that domineering grip and breaking of your posture meant you couldn't attack and he was able to get that Russian grip and throw you.

I'm sure Imamura sensei will be able to show you all the fine details of how to stop that happening, but the basics are to keep mobile, shoulder roll to escape the grip, get upright and break the grip off.

I thought for a green belt/ 3rd kyu (?) you did pretty well considering the weight difference. Your Sasae was nice and your newaza was aggressive, but in a controlled way.

Try and quit the beginner habit of walking around with your hands out wide as if you're holding a giant beachball. You want your hands in close to your body to defend your jacket and try and take control of your opponent. Again Imamura sensei can show you all the specifics.
                        I'm a rokyu still. I haven't earned any ranking at all, not that I care much about it. I kept trying to stand up straight, but he was just too strong for me. I'll have to stay more mobile next time I fight up. because I always always always fight up.

Comment

Just stay healthy and keep training. You are getting excellent instruction in Judo and Sambo/kung fu.

Judoka_UK gave good pointers, I second them.

**Edit**
                          Regarding the warm up issue, you can't always count on tournament officials to let you know when to get ready. Have a warmup "plan" made up ahead of time, some routine that you always use. Make sure you are hot and sweaty when you step onto the mat, but not of course worn out. It takes a while and a lot of experience to be able to reach and control the right "arousal" level, but the sooner you start to try, the better.

Ben
                          Last edited by BKR; 3/07/2011 4:27pm, .

Comment

Nothing else? No making fun? Nothing? :( I'm giving you guys tons of fodder here and nothing?

Comment

Congrats, mate. I'll check the video's out and tease you appropriately when I'm not procrastinating in class and am instead procrastinating at home. ;)

I'm sure they just let you win, though. Felt sorry for you and all that.

I had an armbar in a match at Panpacs. It was full on, she had pain on her face and then her elbow clicked. She didn't tap, I assumed I'd missed it or she enjoyed having her elbow hyperextended. I loosend up and she passed and took side control.
                              I lost, but was slightly consoled by the fact that she couldn't use her arm for the rest of the comp.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X