Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bruce Lee didn't need bag gloves, or Taping is for Sissies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce Lee didn't need bag gloves, or Taping is for Sissies.

In reference to that closed thread about hitting bags with or without gloves. I think leather no biggie, rough canvas, now, that'll teach you proper form! That or you'll see raw flesh quickly. It's like striking sand paper.

Here's good ol' Bruce hitting bare fist on what looks like a canvas bag, and doing two finger pushups and so forth.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExsQ...eature=related
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Why is your primary concern skinning your knuckles when it should be not shattering the many small bones in your hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Kickapoo View Post
      Why is your primary concern skinning your knuckles when it should be not shattering the many small bones in your hand?
      He's a Kyokushin guy. They don't have small bones in their hands.

Just squeeze real tight. ;)
      Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
      "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
      Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
      Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
      Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
      Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
      Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
      I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
      TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
      ATTN TOM KAGAN
      World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
      Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
      I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
      Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

I have had to reconsider that whole taping thing.
        This is because I have found that infections in the splits in my knuckles are annoying, and all those knuckle push-ups always split that one wound open. :p
        Last time I peppered someone's gi with my blood, they said "awh maaaan, I just washed this!" Plus there's that whole "blood-born pathogens" thing and that whole "not bleeding on your classmates because that's kind of uncool" thing...
        So, sometimes I put on a band-aid, or some tape.

Comment

WTF is Bruce Lee's exercise regimen? even if he was fake like some say his physical/mental prowess are very interesting! I want to get my body super strong like that :D where do I start...

Comment

I used to do all my bag work with no gloves or wraps when I was doing regular hand-conditioning and using jow. I still do sometimes if I forget my gloves.
            The main reason I stopped is because its rude to bleed on your gym's equipment. You may not cut your hand open every time but every once in a while you will.
            Canvas is another matter. I use a canvas sand bag for conditioning, but not a full-on workout punching at full strength. At least not with straight punches..hammer fists, elbows and forearms are alright though
            Truth is ,like pat said, you really don't need to wrap your hands to hit a leather bag after a little while. As long as you aren't a sissy lol

Comment

I always considered the skin cuts a minor nuisance compared to the pain you can cause your wrist without proper wraps. Even without wraps/gloves both can be avoided with proper form. I normally use gloves, but when I want to slow down and make sure I am hitting correctly with every strike, I will sometimes go glove-less.

Comment

There is such a thing as hand conditioning. With my bare hands, I can punch a canvas heavy bag full force for a long time before my skin starts to bleed, if at all. (As long as I don't hit the lower half, and all my punches don't slide along the surface of the bag)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kagan View Post
                  He's a Kyokushin guy. They don't have small bones in their hands.

Just squeeze real tight. ;)
                  Hell you don't need to worry about it if you just remember to hit softly! I can just see it in a KK dojo, "But Sensei, that hurts!" Go over big, I'm sure. OSU! was more the spirit.

After makiwara a bag seems soft.

Oyama had to sleep with his hands outside his covers - even a sheet hurt too much. His hands were really fucked up. Somehow some people's hands toughen and hit stuff and do breaking without injury.

My sesnsei didn't think much of trad makiwara and breaking; he said the arthritis wasn't worth it so we only broke once a year and didn't hit hard surfaces much. He liked gloving up for sparring but we were always barefisted on the big bag. Later some of the guys who were kickboxing (and doing some cross training) got some bag gloves and we were like, "What are those?"

The Okinawan dojo in town here only uses gloves for sparring and they use these old thin "white" partial gloves (they are the school that only spars every three months, and most students get only a couple minutes. But they are very serious minutes, indeed) They are covered with old blood stains and the beginners go yikes when Sensei hands them out.
                  Last edited by patfromlogan; 3/05/2011 2:02am, .
                  "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Strong hands or not wraps and gloves reduce the chances of injury so I make use of them. Are my hands strong enough to hit a bad without gloves or wraps? Sure. However all it takes is making contact with just the wrong angle and you've got a sprained wrist. When it comes to training injury is not worth it when it can be avoided. As to Bruce Lee I saw a close up photo of his knuckles once. If he were alive today I'd give 4 to 1 odds that he would have some major arthritis.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
                      I have had to reconsider that whole taping thing.
                      This is because I have found that infections in the splits in my knuckles are annoying, and all those knuckle push-ups always split that one wound open. :p
                      Last time I peppered someone's gi with my blood, they said "awh maaaan, I just washed this!" Plus there's that whole "blood-born pathogens" thing and that whole "not bleeding on your classmates because that's kind of uncool" thing...
                      So, sometimes I put on a band-aid, or some tape.
                      I get the impression somebody is going for the thread win competition.
                      But still.
                      For cut hands use spray on bandage.

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product....ay+Bandage+30g

Bruce Lee is of course the example set for sensible training methods which is why he lived to the ripe old age of 16 or something.

Comment

There are times where both methods are appropriate. It's probably wise (for the most part) to use wrist wraps of some kind when striking with full power. There's no sense in injuring yourself during training; save the injuries for a real fight. That being said, you should occasionally practice powerful strikes without the gloves, to teach your body how to handle the force without the support. But I'm all for striking bags without gloves if you're striking with less than full power, doing speed work, or training for accuracy. There's something to be said for a little external motivation in keeping your technique precise.

But personally, I never use gloves or wraps when working the bag. But then, I try to live my life injured
                        Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                        "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

There are times where both methods are appropriate. It's probably wise (for the most part) to use wrist wraps of some kind when striking with full power. There's no sense in injuring yourself during training; save the injuries for a real fight. That being said, you should occasionally practice powerful strikes without the gloves, to teach your body how to handle the force without the support. But I'm all for striking bags without gloves if you're striking with less than full power, doing speed work, or training for accuracy. There's something to be said for a little external motivation in keeping your technique precise.

But personally, I never use gloves or wraps when working the bag. But then, I try to live my life injured.
                          Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                          "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X