Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we all just come to an agreement about Krav Maga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you like some juice and crackers?

Comment

I really have nothing to add to this thread anymore but I guess posting just to piss off Sirc is reason enough.

Comment

I LOVE krav maga.

Judo + karate + streetfighting + israeli evil = BADASS.

You guys her e are sooo grown up and cynical...

OK bad rep me. X

Comment

Comment

REAL Krav Maga is good, as in the stuff they teach the Israeli special forces. But in real life in a warzone you can't start UFC kapow takedown ultrawrestle groundflipping people onto the floor or you'll just get stabbed or something. The stuff you get on tape at blockbuster that promises to make you win any fight in under a second is shit, but if you wanna go to an Israeli army base and learn how to fight in a warzone Krav Maga is pretty good.

Comment

Now, if I go get the articles and posts from a guy who went to Afghanistan and points out how Army combatives has changed to incorporate "UFC kapow takedown ultrawrestle groundflipping people onto the floor" will you actually start reading an entire thread?

Yes, your point was already addressed.
              Last edited by It is Fake; 3/18/2011 5:41pm, .

Comment

I don't know about the mighty Krav, or magazines and clips and that, so I'm going for a different breed of derail:

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post

Knuckle push-ups, using the triceps instead of the biceps, .
                How and when are biceps used in a pushup?

Comment

I'd facepalm but my arms are to bruised from this mornings class.

But I guess I was right; Thread-wise KM is the WC of 2011.

Comment

Effectiveness-wise too.

Comment

Should've seen that one coming.

Comment

I've written this a while back, but being the only Israeli active on BS, and the only Veteran of the IDF here I suppose I should post this again:

Originally posted by Gidi View Post
                        There is no defined MA for the IDF, most of it is how to use your weapon as a blunt instrument.
                        Then the further up you go in your combative status (i.e. Tanks -> infantry -> Specops) you will spend more time on H2H, but it's nothing particularly technical, it's very rudimentary kickboxing, with a lot of aggression, the main emphasis is on aggression, so there is sparring, but mostly to get your blood going, and not scared in a fight.

Like any military, the IDF relies mostly on fire-power in any skirmish instead of magical krav-maga.
                        Granted there are some units that work the more urban area and do arresting-esque routines, they are trained more specifically for this, but they also rely on numbers, being more than the guy they are trying to arrest.

To conclude, I'll retell a story, I have a good friend who was in specops (of the urban type), and he was the #2 guy on his team at sparring (what we call Krav-maga, but not to be confused with the system), why? because he used to compete and train heavily in Judo. The #1 guy was a former national MT champ, weighing close to a 100kg, so make your own conclusions.

*Oh, btw, I served as a shooting instructor in the anti-terrorism school in the IDF
                        Apart from that, I agree with Gezere on most of the stuff he said, I've met good KM practitioners. Some of these people are pretty serious, and today KM (the local civilian system) is incorporating more ground work, maybe the military does as well, I don't know as I'm discharged for a good few years now.

Comment

No dog in the Krav fight, but I had to chuckle at the supposed hardcore Navy pistol qual mentioned on page 2 or 3. Did it about this time last year. Let's just say it's no wonder the COMNAVSURFLANT actually banned e4 and under from carrying pistols while on watch...

Edit: Oh yeah, the first vid Gezere post caused a brief geek out because of the skillful use of the Heat soundtrack.
                          Last edited by War Wizard; 3/19/2011 2:15pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by devil View Post
                            As a military veteran and a martial artist, I have argued time and time again - the best martial artists and the best unarmed fighters are almost always civilians. The reasons are simple. Unarmed fighting can only be a small part of military training. Civilians have more time to train and access to better quality instruction.
                            Bang on. I can't speak for the US, but in the UK the military doesn't teach any form of unarmed or knife based combat - and that includes SF. It's unnecessary and about as realistic as Rambo or solo soldiers saving the day.

Martial arts are simply too risky to be used in a combat situation, and to get to an acceptable standard takes way too long. On a cost / benefit ratio, it doesn't stack up. A Browning 9mm does however.

The only 'martial arts' practiced in the British military is Judo and boxing. And that's as a recreational club.

I'm pretty such hand to hand killing machine soldiers are the modern version of ninjas. I.e. bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by NoodleGlue View Post
                              Martial arts are simply too risky to be used in a combat situation, and to get to an acceptable standard takes way too long. On a cost / benefit ratio, it doesn't stack up. A Browning 9mm does however.
                              The same reasons armies starting issuing crossbows over longbows. Soldiers could learn to fire a crossbow in a casual afternoon.

Comment

As a military veteran and a martial artist, I have argued time and time again - the best martial artists and the best unarmed fighters are almost always civilians. The reasons are simple. Unarmed fighting can only be a small part of military training. Civilians have more time to train and access to better quality instruction.
                                Wouldnt a mil. instructor be as good as a civilian then? I mean its his job to teach unarmed fighting so he'd have to train much more than an average soldier.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X