Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we all just come to an agreement about Krav Maga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gezere View Post
    Damn right they better do what I mean not what I say!
    LMAO, who are they to not know better.

Comment

You know I have had a very low opinion of KM for a while based upon the general shittiness of the US practitioners and dumb attitudes about them being badass.

However, last year this dude Eyal Yanilov stopped through here and was doing a seminar with the local guys in our BJJ/MMA gym.

That guy has some legit badass shit going on. And was a really nice guy too - real humble and unassuming in the face of a bunch of BJJ/MMA alpha punks like us and instructors.

http://krav-maga.com/training/head-instructor

Comment

Originally posted by chingythingy View Post
        YHowever, last year this dude Eyal Yanilov stopped through here and was doing a seminar with the local guys in our BJJ/MMA gym.
        I had a good experience with him. The way he coaches makes a lot of sense, and he's a funny guy.

Comment

I read an interview with Eyal recently and the two styles he cross trains in most alongside Krav are Muai Thai and BJJ. Actually, I've noticed since splitting from the IKMF, Eyal's new organisation KMG incorporates a lot more MMA and BJJ attacks/defenses (which is a good thing IMO).

Comment

Oh man, those push-ups look so easy compared to ours. D: Lucky marines!

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Vlad View Post
              I read an interview with Eyal recently and the two styles he cross trains in most alongside Krav are Muai Thai and BJJ. Actually, I've noticed since splitting from the IKMF, Eyal's new organisation KMG incorporates a lot more MMA and BJJ attacks/defenses (which is a good thing IMO).
              You may as well do MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
                Oh man, those push-ups look so easy compared to ours. D: Lucky marines!
                I did many different pushups when I was with 1stMarDiv, I esp enjoyed where four guys get down in pushup position with their feet/boots on each others' backs forming a square. Those are just great!

Comment

(@ Kovacs, sorry forgot to hit the quote button!)

I did MMA and loved it but my motivations for training have changed, I've been training since I was a kid and am in my late 30's now so I've got plenty of experience. I do KM for the multiple opponent sparring and situational stuff like 3rd party protection (I've got a wife and kids now). KM isn't the perfect system but it helps to fill in the holes that are in TMA or sport oriented styles - all of the serious instructors in KM cross train and encourage cross training in stand up and grappling styles too. I find it a great way to fill in some of the gaps that you don't find in TMA or sports, if something better comes along I'll check it out but so far I'm pretty happy with KMG.

Comment

The beloved 4 man push up,.................... a shiver runs down my arms.

Comment

I think KM is a great gateway MA, but that's about it. I did KM about a year ago until I realized it was watered down MMA. While the instructor and people were great they all had this illusion that by doing KM they were urban commandos.

I say based on my experience if your older or new to martial arts than it might be decent. But waaay too much repitition on chokes from every angle and lacking on other critical fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Jude View Post
                        I did many different pushups when I was with 1stMarDiv, I esp enjoyed where four guys get down in pushup position with their feet/boots on each others' backs forming a square. Those are just great!
                        Okay, that one would be harder to do! Sometimes our Shihan will walk on us while we're doing 'em. Heh. I'm going to go ahead and not mention the 4 man push up in class on Tuesday...

Comment

I am coming into this thread late but if you want to see real Krav Maga you will have to travel to Israel and join the IDF, it wont be found on the internet. Its more of a mentality than a series of deadly techniques. I took a Krav Maga class in Georgia and felt it was pretty lame and completely wrote off Krav Maga

Fast forward 18months later, I am deployed to Iraq and one of my neighbors mailed me a book called Brotherhood of Warriors. It is an autobiography of a Jewish American that used his Israeli birthright and joined the IDF straight out of High School. He didnt just walk into it, he had to do the formal application, live on a communal farm and actually learn Hebrew

Anyways he ended up going to one of the counter terrorism units and he said of all of the training, the Krav Maga was the most demanding and most feared and caused the most injury. It wasnt just two hours a day, everything they did involved adding Krav Maga. He spent a great deal of time talking about it and the book is worth a read. It will tell you far more than a few internet video clips can

He also talked about how the Krav maga saved his life while working as a counter terrorist not in a cage environment
                          Last edited by kazimer; 3/06/2011 9:44pm, .

Comment

You don't have to go to Israel or join the IDF to find da real Krav Maga. You just have to apply common sense and know where to look. Like I said earlier I've already found da R34! and was due to finding training for professionals by professionals as opposed to a strip mall taught by a former TKD instructor looking to cash in on the hype.
                            ______
                            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                            -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                            The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                            -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Are you asshole still on this?

Comment

Well my instructor is an israeli and former IDF. Plus the school does have a training week in Israel every year so I guess 'I found da R34!' ?

Oh and the more KM threads the better :problem:

(Btw I fucking love the new emoticons!)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X