Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To OLD for BJJ or Kickboxing?

Howdy

Moving to Tulsa OK, 46 retired Army with a mix of Kali-TKD background and looking to start over into BJJ or Kickboxing

But 2 bad knees and OLD I was wondering you alls opinion on these arts at my age.

Thanks and Love your site.

I am 38 with bad knees and a bad back and I do BJJ, I would recommend BJJ, once you get technique and find your game you can work around your deficiencies - you may never be a world beater but who cares its fun.

Comment

There was an article about two months back about a 50-something woman who just earned her black belt in BJJ(which typically takes ten years), so no, you're not too old.

Comment

Yah, we had a guy in his late 50s start with us and he was doing great until he had an unrelated heart attack. like, seriously unrelated. He was eating dinner and BAM heartattack. Now his doctor won't let him train any more. So, yeah, not too old, but consult your doctor...

Comment

You may have some trouble with kickboxing, as the shock of kicking thai pads, and shin-checking kicks, even in light practice...will likely irritate your knees.

The punching isn't too bad as long as you turn on the balls of your feet, while you rotate your hips...but ideally you'd bend your legs, to lower your weight as you do this...again possibly bothering them.

BJJ would likely be the more solid choice,

happy training.

Comment

My grappling coach is 55 years old and still kicks major ass. There are plenty of reasons why you may fail and grappling. Your age isn't one of them.

Comment

At your age I'd go with boxing over kickboxing, and BJJ over boxing.

I almost feel too old for Muay Thai in my twenties with the constant injuries and broken bones. Straight boxing was a lot easier for my body to deal with and BJJ has been much the same except for when a fellow noob knee-rode my balls.

Comment

I just turned 42 and I've been training BJJ for ten years. I've never had anything other than minor injuries.

Considering training longevity, any well instructed submission grappling class will be one of the safer combat sports you can enjoy in my opinion.
                Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Thanks for making me feel welcome, will keep you all updated

Comment

I'm 57, bad knees and have been training BJJ 3 of the last 5 years. Time off was due to layoffs not injuries. I'm strictly a hobbyist but have to admit I love it. Let us know when you start and what you decide to do. Be glad to give advice to another dinosaur.

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido JJack. Just wanted to add that we have a really good physical training forum on this site. You will probably find some good info on how to strengthen your knees there.

Comment

Have you considered Glucosamine and Chondroitan for your knees ? It helps. I would also recommend a good fish oil, one that is a Triglyceride form. They work better then the Ethyl Ester processed fish oils. Try something like Nordic Naturals.

I used to run long distance and I have Osteoarthritis issues and the above mentioned supplements work great.

Comment

Hi there JJack.

I'm 35, doing BJJ for 2 years and I'm the second oldest in the club... The oldest guy is forty-someting and he is a very energetic and quite technical guy, competing and winning regularly...

If you and your training partners have a realistic and careful approach (which is the norm in most BJJ schools), you can look forward to many years of enjoyable training. Good luck.

CLICK & WATCH
                          :
                          I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid shit back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
                          " - by Vorpal

Comment

Originally posted by JJack View Post
                            Howdy

Moving to Tulsa OK, 46 retired Army with a mix of Kali-TKD background and looking to start over into BJJ or Kickboxing

But 2 bad knees and OLD I was wondering you alls opinion on these arts at my age.

Thanks and Love your site.
                            You're never too old to start something new. I mean be up front with the instructors about your condition, and hey i mean if it's too much find something else. But in all honesty there are guys out there at your age still competing in these sports, so training in them shouldn't be an issue. anyway best of luck to you sir, in all of your future martial arts endeavors.

Comment

I'm 46 and kick the life out of the heavybag daily. I do a lot of plyometric type jumps also, my knees feel better than ever. BJJ is great, I will be back in when my shoulder heals.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X