Karate - Central Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karate - Central Jersey

I am hoping someone can suggest a school that teaches Japanese Style Karate in the Cranford area of NJ. I am looking for a place that provides a strenuous physical workout and striking as well as forms. I have studied Krav Maga and some Muay Thai in the past and really enjoyed the physical workouts those classes provided. I am looking to learn a traditional style art such as Karate or Kung Fu but it appears that the classes I have seen so far mostly emphasize katas with less striking drills and very little cardio. Basically, I am looking for a Karate School that can provide the physical workouts the Krav Maga and Muay Thai provides. Thanks

Since Muay Thai is a traditional style and provides the workpout you're lookiing for why not start there instead?

Comment

I most likely will do the Muay Thai if I can't find anything. I started developing an interest in Japanese Karate after training with a friend who studied it.

Comment

From my research there's not a whole lot going on in NJ.

My old TKD McDojo is still up and running in East Windsor. Oleg Savitsky has a Sambo/MMA school somewhere up north, IIRC, and Kurt Pellegrino's MMA is down in Belmar.

The only MT school I know of that seems to be serious is North Jersey Muay Thai, and I think that's in Lodes.

Vorpal, you're NJ, right? Where do you train? You recommended Muay Thai and I've been wanting to start.

Comment

There is a lot going on in NJ. Performance Jiu Jitsu in Fairlawn, Silver Fox BJJ in Lodi, North Jersey Muay Thai also in Lodi, EndGame AScademy (Lodi for the hat trick). RedBear Sambo (IDK where but it's not by me cause I'd be going). Even the Tiger Gate (my backyard dojo) is looking pretty good because I'm talking to ex USMTA Welterweight Champ Moe Kojok about coming over to train (he used to train at Spatan Dojo in Cliffside when I went there).

Comment

What I want to know is where the fuck 'Lodes' is and why I invented a city, haha.

Where in NJ are you (Vorpal and OP)? I'm in between East Windsor and Freehold so everything is kind of a hike from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian28 View Post
              I am looking to learn a traditional style art such as Karate or Kung Fu but it appears that the classes I have seen so far mostly emphasize katas with less striking drills and very little cardio. Basically, I am looking for a Karate School that can provide the physical workouts the Krav Maga and Muay Thai provides. Thanks
              There are good hung ga gong fu schools in central NJ too. Board regulars Omega and Ming Loyalist have studied hung ga; the good schools provide a combination of strength training and fight training.

Judo is also a great for way to get in shape and learn a martial art. I have heard good things about the Princeton YMCA Judo Club, and may try to find time to join soon myself.
              Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/28/2011 12:04am, .

Comment

I am up in the Teaneck, Hackensack area.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X